Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: hip pain after LR surgery?  (Read 1210 times)

Offline kirby-faye

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 0
hip pain after LR surgery?
« on: April 19, 2012, 11:04:01 AM »
a few things..

1st is hip pain, i had LR surgery just over 2 weeks ago but ive now acquired really bad hip pain.. any ides? im off to see physio today to see what he says..i actually went away on monday this week and was supposed to be there all week, but HAD to come home because of the pain, everyones still away until tomorrow :-(!!!

2nd, im in a full leg brace until i can properly weight bare, my knee kept giving way under me, but i do the exercises at night as told by the physio, ive noticed its starting to really grind again rather loudly, its gotten louder over the last few days, is that normal?!!

Offline Lottiefox

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 16
Re: hip pain after LR surgery?
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2012, 11:39:42 AM »
Hip pain is probably because of the altered gait or altered way of walking that you currently have. If you're in a full length brace and not using crutches you'll be all over the place with walking motions. Hips are very prone to inflammation or bursitis flaring up when we walk strangely. Ask your Physio to check for tender spots and get them to try and assist your gait/walking motion.

Grinding - do you mean that when you bend the knee and stuff you're getting a grinding under the kneecap? Your muscles sound really weak so they won't be holding the kneecap firmly at the moment. If you've got any wear and tear under the kneecap then you will have some noises unfortunately, but the hope is that they are not painful after your recovery. My knees make dreadful noises but generally don't hurt unless I do a certain action like a lunge or deep squat with weight.

What exercises are you doing? Once a day is probably not enough in all honesty, you need to be working this leg pretty hard to get some strength back.

Lottie x
Bilateral patella OA since 2009, no surgeries.
Euflexxa working well x3 to current
Right forefoot CRPS post fusion surgery 2011
Refusing to let the ailing parts stop me....

Offline kirby-faye

• Regular Poster
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2012, 11:50:16 AM »
im going to ask physio today to check my hip properly, im walking with crutches, i can walk without them, but physio said to keep using them!!

its grinding and cruntching when i do the exercises, i do them morning and night for as long as possible, and during the day when im just sat reading.. fingers crossed its nothing serious and just the normal noise! i know i have grade 3 arthritis under the knee so maybe thats all the noise is!!

the exercise i was given was to put a ball under the back of the knee to bend it and do leg raises to get the muscle in the thigh going, then to put my foot on a bag on the floor so it can 'slip' and move in backward and forward 10 times.. and to do them both morning and night!

Offline Lottiefox

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2012, 12:08:29 PM »
Grade 3 arthritis could certainly make some noise as the cartilage surface is roughened. It kind of depends if the noise is coming with increased pain too, but definitely ask your PT about stuff. Keep up the good work with the exercises!

Lottie

Offline kirby-faye

• Regular Poster
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2012, 03:09:41 PM »
been to physio, had my brace altered so it can move, hinged brace!

i have busritis, or however you spell it, from having the brace kept straight for a week, so hopefully with the bend i have now it will take the pressure off the hip. I have to increase the exercises and go back next week...

the pain is worse when it grinds and the more pressure that gets put on the knee, but he said to carry on with the exercise and it should get better!
kirbs xx

Offline Lottiefox

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2012, 12:50:34 PM »
Not surprised he thinks it is bursitis. Glad your brace can now bend! There isn't much more at the moment apart from the exercises and keeping that knee moving as much as you can manage, but elevating it when you're resting and making sure you treat any swelling with some ice especially in the evenings if you've had a busier day. I had bursitis in my hip a few years ago from running a lot at that time, it was hideous but when I stopped running and stretched my hip muscles out more it got better pretty quickly. Did they show you anything you can do to stretch your hip and butt muscles out a little?

take care

Lottie x

Offline kirby-faye

• Regular Poster
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2012, 04:55:53 PM »
hi Lottie..

Yeah the physio showed me stretching etc for the hip, but said becuase i can now bend it, it should take the pressure off and correct itself! Although im still using crutches with the brace, its giving way again, 7 times today, and counting!! and the pain is coming back with a vengence.. I dont know what to do for the best now except for ice and elevation and the exercises he has given me. I have a follow up next tuesday and the physio rang back and said the surgeon thinks, with the problems im having now with giving way, that the operation may have failed.. can they tell that at nearly 3 weeks post op?!!!

what next if its failed!! they really know how to scrae you dont they!!! onwards and upwards i suppose!!

kirbs xx

support