Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: ROM 11 weeks post surgery  (Read 2011 times)

Offline kc 63

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
ROM 11 weeks post surgery
« on: April 17, 2012, 09:37:04 PM »
Hi fellow Knee Geeks ,Im a 49 year old female who on the 21/01/2012 had a fall from a rope swing and the result was tpf left leg and crushed heelbone. 2 weeks in hospital waiting for the swelling to go down then surgery first on my heelbone (hardware and 7 screws) fifteen hours later surgery on my knee (hardware 9 screws and cadavar bone graft).Im not sure of the grade of break but the OS said I did a good job !
Im approx. 11 weeks post surgery and partial weightbearing I can go up and down stairs walking using handrails at 12 weeks Im expecting to be full weightbearing but my range of movement is still only 70 degrees,I have no pain just tightness,my quads and calf are atrophied ,I do all the usual exercises ...straight leg raises etc but still my ROM seems low compared to others on here.Ive just started hydrotherapy but even in water low ROM. The PT says Im doing fine and that at full weightbearing they can work me harder.Just reassurance from people who know what its like to sustain this injury.All advice much appreciated. Speedy recovery to all .kc63

Offline kirky2k4

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
Re: ROM 11 weeks post surgery
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2012, 09:24:03 PM »
Sounds like your doing very well i was none weight bearing for 14 weeks and in a streight cast which when removed i only got about 45 degree movement i han to be put to sleep and have my knee manipulated to gain movement

Offline kc 63

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2012, 05:16:37 PM »
I think you are right Kirky 2k4 I am doing very well I realise Im very lucky.Today I had my 3 month consultation with my OS.....he has put me on full weightbearing and said I can go back to work I am thrilled.It was scary giving up the crutches but I went straight to it I figure if I try to ease into it I will talk myself out of it.Its a little painful and my "walk" is a bit odd but after 3.5 months off my foot its not flexing that well. I know this injury is quite a bad one and that the majority of people take a lot longer to get to this point even my OS was surprised,I was blessed with great surgeons and the luck of no complications.I wish all the best to all fellow knee geeks and a speedy recovery to all. kc 63  :)

Offline LindaM

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 8
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2012, 10:34:58 PM »
Hi there,

Glad to hear you are off the crutches, but keep them in the car just in case for distances or when you are tired at the end of the work day.
 Have you had any therapy for your ankle yet?  If not, be sure you do.  I had an accident just as random as yours-I was walking down the aisle during a test and stepped on a student's foot, rolled my ankle, and broke a bone in my heel.  After 7 weeks in a boot to heal the break I had a tendon transfer to replace the torn tendon, 6 weeks  in a boot non-weight bearing and then another 6 in the boot.  It took 3 months of therapy to get my ankle back to almost full range of motion and most of the next school year to finish the job and get it all back.  Work just as hard on the ankle.  If your foot isn't flexing properly your knee pays for it.

Good luck and good healing. :)

Linda
>20 yrs. osteo and inflammatory arthritis, fibromyalgia
meniscus repair Sept. 2009
right PKR June 2010
left PKR Feb. 2012

Offline kc 63

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2012, 04:46:57 PM »
Thanks Linda ,how right you are I think I overdid it my foot and knee very swollen at the end of 1st walking day.Its funny you should mention ankle therapy NO is the quick answer its like the physios forgot I had done both my knee and heel.But Im working hard at home on it and Im at hydrotherapy every tuesday and Im at physio as well so hopefully it will come back. I agree distance is hard Im going to get a cane the crutches are cumbersome.Anyway speedy recovery to all knee geeks. kc 63 :)

Offline LindaM

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2012, 08:57:36 PM »
Hi kc63,

Your physical therapist should have a sheet of exercises for you, if not, I will dig out my list.  Along with ankle circles in both directions to start, I know that i was using a resistance band for strengthening-looped about mid-foot, then pushing my foot down against it, looped around the other leg and the foot going outward, around a chair leg and pulling up toward myself, and still around a chair leg pulling my foot inward.  You probably have a band to do your exercises for your knee and can use that.  The balance exercises you are doing for your knee are the same ones you would do for your ankle.

Hope your next walking day goes better. :)

Linda
right PKR June 2010
left PKR Feb. 2012

Offline kc 63

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2012, 05:05:25 PM »
Hi KGs .....just an update to show its not all doom and gloom  :) now about 15 weeks post ops and fullweightbearing no crutches or cane,knee working hard since the foot is still not flexing properly but I am walking and doing everyday chores without too much trouble.More pain now than at any time through the whole process to date but to be expected with feeling coming back, physio and all the walking.I feel incredibly lucky even though there is a long way to go. Good luck with your recoveries one and all. kc 63

Offline LindaM

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2012, 12:49:45 AM »
Great to hear of your progress.  Hope you get the ankle flexion back soon.  My husband built me a little wedge to stand on about 5 inches on the high end that I used to stand on to really flex my ankle without having to do a squat and stress my knee.  It was about 1 1/2 feet wide.  You might want to try something similar.  It was much more effective than just pulling the foot upward with a band.

Good healing ;D

Linda
right PKR June 2010
left PKR Feb. 2012

Offline kc 63

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2012, 09:36:21 AM »
Linda what a great idea I do find the band pretty inaffective.....I will keep up with PT....my knee is holding up quite well I just find it cracks a lot on straightening as I walk that is quite painful but just for a breathtaking second or two.My main problem is muscle strength or rather lack of it. But is early days and it is so helpful to talk with people who really know what this injury is all about. Thankyou so much for your words of wisdom. All the best to you. karen :)

Offline kc 63

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2012, 09:52:57 AM »
Linda any chance of your list of exercises my physios are useless....Im 17 ish weeks post ops now still only 90 degrees ROM almost full extension on the other hand I am full weightbearing and no walking aids at all plus I dont need painkillers anymore but my knee just feels so tight, I hate to moan because I know Im one of the lucky ones but just wondered if I should be pushing harder . I can complete every tasks with no problems and Im back at work as a taxi driver (automatic now !!) Hope all is well with you  :)

Offline LindaM

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2012, 10:21:24 PM »
Hi there,
I am on vacation right now and writing from mc Donald's on an iPad so excuse the errors-this thing drives me crazy!  Here are a couple of things for you to work on the rom

Lie on your back, bring your knee to your chest and let gravity do the stretch for you. If this is too much use your good leg to support.

On a stationary bike-rotate the pedals as far as you can.  If you can't do a full circle just work back and forward to start the stretching for both knee and ankle. when you cando full rotations, lower the seat for more stretch.

Put your foot up on the second step and do a gentle lunge forward, hold,repeat. I also found an armchair good for this.

When I get home I will copy what I have for you.  Until then your accelerator will help you strengthenas well.

Good healing

Linda
right PKR June 2010
left PKR Feb. 2012

Offline kc 63

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2012, 07:50:28 AM »
Thankyou working on it ..... :)