Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Ruptured Quadricep- Can it be fixed?  (Read 3836 times)

Offline kimberly22ann

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 2
Ruptured Quadricep- Can it be fixed?
« on: April 16, 2012, 08:10:54 PM »
I was hoping someone could help me.  I ruptured my quad around mid thigh about a year ago.  I did PT instead of Surgery do to a docotr's recommedation.  It helped but it never corrected it fully.  I am still in nagging pain after exercise and sprinting/kicking/ and long ditance running is painful.  I have a very large lump with an indentation below it.  It keeps getting bigger.  I have been lifting lightly to keep its strength and also strethching as told by the doctor to reduce pain.  I feel I have done everything myself to get it better. I wnet back to get it checked and a docotor told me that this was unable to be fixed.  He looked at my old MRI at the tear and said there is no fix this far out.  Is this true?  My knee is also aching and he said it is due to the rupture.  Only recommendation he gave was to wear compression shorts and to keep it strong and stretch.  he said other then that it is something i have to deal with.  Can this be true?  can this not be fixed?  I am very desperate for any options or experiences form anyone with a ruptured quad.  This is holding me back as I am only 25 years old and would like to continue to play soccer and exercise without a nagging pain. 

Should I go to another doctor and not mention it happening a year ago?  I feel like he just looked at the old report and didn't look far enough into it.

Thank you for any responses/ suggestions!

Ruptured Quad 2011. 

Looking for advice on how to fix a year after injury?

Offline KGmodsk

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 1
Re: Ruptured Quadricep- Can it be fixed?
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2012, 08:37:45 PM »
Hi Kimberly

Welcome to the RQT thread - having read your post, it appears that you are taking much action to get that knee of yours sorted out.

It`s time to get a second opinion - your knee is the most important limb and cannot be neglected.

Forget about sporting activities for the time being.

Take care and keep posting

« Last Edit: April 17, 2012, 04:45:28 PM by KGmodsk »

Offline kimberly22ann

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2012, 09:49:02 PM »
Hi John,

Thank you for your input.  I actually went to 2 doctors already.  One said to do PT on your own and it is nothing that can be magically fixed. And said it is something that I will have to deal with.  The second said it is unfixable being in the middle of the quad and not close enough to my knee or hip.  Neither did a second MRI. One said it was too far out for surgery and the other never even mentioned surgery.  Neither seemed to think that it was an issue that I could not perform some exercies.  I am really frustrated.  Can something really be unfixable?  I don't want to live with an aching leg every day.  Do you think I should get a third opionion? I mean one of them would have done surgery if it was an option right?   
Ruptured Quad 2011. 

Looking for advice on how to fix a year after injury?

Offline John42

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 212
  • Complete Ruptered Patella Tendon 9 Jan 2003
    • Chat with SylviaK4221
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2012, 08:58:51 AM »
Hi Kimberly

Your knee is a very important limb, and you must not be fobbed off with such negative responses.

Get a third opinion, but ask the vital question - have you seen and repaired a Patella tendon before.  It is a very rare injury, so just don`t give up.

JohnK/Manchester UK
Ruptured Patella Tendon January 9 2003
Slipped on black ice.  Manchester UK

Complete Ruptured Tendon

Offline nmdkneedo

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2014, 11:37:39 PM »
"this topic not posted in for >>> 120 days"
Forgive me dragging up an old topic, but apparently, mid muscle-belly tears are exceedingly rare. 

My OS initially thought my tear was mid muscle, and he said it could not be repaired (Referring to my case on another thread).  Maybe sutures and wires need some tendon or bone to "fix" to.  (?)

After an MRI the OS fell in-line with the radiologists interpretation that the V. Intermedius avulsed.  In addition, there was mention of 25% PT tear and some VM damage.  The picture changed dramatically.  Similar to Kimberly's experience, the OS hardly interacts to explain anything clearly. 

support