Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Intense Pain after Right Tibia Nail Removed?  (Read 797 times)

Offline boldknight

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Intense Pain after Right Tibia Nail Removed?
« on: April 15, 2012, 07:25:04 PM »
Hi All:

I am new to the Board, but not new to Knee issues.  In 1981, I fractured my Right tibia/fibula which became a atrophic non-union after two years of non-healing.  I went to the Mayo Clinic in late 1982 where they inserted a "femur rod" into the Tiba...Yes, thats right!  This last Wednesday, I was to have an outpatient procedure to remove the rod now 30 years old. What happened was not thought of.

I just got home after my surgery to remove the rod from my Tibia that has been there 30 years. I was to be outpatient, go home.  I had a spinal and all went well in recovery until the spinal wore off...I was in a living hell of pain that was as worse as when I had the accident. The pain was so intense, I became catatonic, my arms and hands shaking out of control.  I was screaming and crying out at the same time. After 4 days in the Hospital, I am home, in bad knee pain and lots of ice and help to even move.  I am exercising the leg to become weight bearing,  even though very painful

The right knee is extremely painful to move.  What is puzzling is this was supposed to be a no-brainer surgery and I would go home right after?  I was supposed to have a knee and ankle replacement after this surgery heals and based on what happened, I am beginning to think I am done with all this pain. I can not imagine going through this again ...or worse.

Any thoughts or comments would be appreciated.

BK

Offline kneepaincure

• Forum Faithful
Re: Intense Pain after Right Tibia Nail Removed?
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2012, 09:30:55 PM »
Sounds like a real nightmare. Hope you feel better soon! One question, why was the rod removed after 30 years? Was it because you are due for a knee replacement?

Have had tilted kneecaps for many years, and occasional patellar tendinitis.

Offline boldknight

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2012, 10:56:44 PM »
Yes...

Was to get a knee and then ankle replacement. At this point, I would rather hobble around than go through that again!  At age 73, I have to ask is it worth it at this point.  I ask myself if that intense level of pain can kill you?

Offline kneepaincure

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2012, 06:59:52 PM »
Well I know nothing of knee replacements, but I'm assuming it would be pretty darn painful. I don't know if pain can kill, but the psychological effects can be devastating. Maybe waiting for a few months - depending on your doctor's views - could help you forget a little bit about what happened.
Have had tilted kneecaps for many years, and occasional patellar tendinitis.