Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: pain worse when sitting  (Read 1115 times)

Offline casual runner

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 1
pain worse when sitting
« on: April 15, 2012, 06:33:40 PM »
This is my first post specifically about my (formerly) GOOD right knee, which is now my bad knee. After seeking several second opinions on my left knee which was diagnosed with meniscus tear 1 yr ago (and has greatly improved with no surgery), about 3.5 months ago I had a visit with an ortho who examined both knees and was not very gentle in his exam. I had to ice my right knee that night, and I developed sharp "hot" pains shooting down the back of my calf from outer edge of the knee joint. Now, one of the earlier orthos had mentioned that there were very early signs of arthritis in that exact area-but I never had any symptoms until that "rough" exam 8 months later. Anyway I'm going to schedule an appt because this pain had gotten much worse, but I'm just curious what others think about this. It hurts the most when I am sitting down, and the pain is much sharper than the meniscus pain I used to have in the other knee. I don't think its meniscus. There is no swelling. I am starting to wonder if that ortho damaged my articular cartilage (is that possible?), because this feels very much like bone pain. The tips of the outer edge of femur and tibia are very sore to the touch when this flares up.  The pain is about an 8 at its worst, when sitting. I can stand and work around the house and garage for a long time and it hardly bothers me until I sit again. 
« Last Edit: April 15, 2012, 06:36:29 PM by casual runner »

Offline Brambledog

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 10
Re: pain worse when sitting
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2012, 11:13:07 AM »
Hmmmm....

Knee pain when sitting is usually a classic sign of patellofemoral issues, but i wouldn't like to guess how or why they were caused! Definitely get that other appointment with the OS and see what they think is going on.

Good luck and hope you get some answers.

Brams  ;)
2009 - diagnosed coeliac
Aug 2011 - L knee arthroscopy
Aug 2011 - diagnosed PF arthritis L knee
Nov 2011 - diagnosed CRPS L knee
Dec 2011 - MRI R knee, PFOA is worse than L!
June 2012 - no surgery 'til TKR's
Nov 2012 - CRPS spread to L foot/thigh, increasing pain
- Worsening pain/symptoms R knee
;-)

Offline casual runner

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2012, 12:38:29 AM »
The pain isn't in the front of the knee much at all, so I don't THINK it is that. But I don't know, which is why I asked. I think I was hoping for someone to say "that doesn't sound like arthritis" because I'm afraid that's what it is, and I'd rather have just about anything else (or so I think).

When I posted that, I was just coming off 3 ten hour long, inactive days of training where I couldn't move around, had to go out to dinner and sit some more after training, and it was too late and I was too damned tired to walk when it was over each day. The knee really flared up bad and kept me awake all night once. But I'm happy to say now that I've started this new job where I'm fairly active all day, the pain has improved considerably. But I don't think it's going to go away completely. It doesn't bother me all day then I sit down at night and the lateral edge starts up, but not bad compared to last week.

Offline LindaM

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 8
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2012, 02:29:36 PM »
Okay,
Here is what you wanted to hear-pain seated doesn't sound anything like the arthritis I have experienced for over 20 years in most of my joints.  I know that the arthritis sounds very scary and limiting, but I have always had very good treatment by a rheumatologist and have had very slow progression and very little pain.  So even if you have arthritis its not going to slow you down or change your life significantly.

Glad to hear that this is resolving. :)

Linda
>20 yrs. osteo and inflammatory arthritis, fibromyalgia
meniscus repair Sept. 2009
right PKR June 2010
left PKR Feb. 2012

Offline casual runner

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2012, 04:22:03 AM »
I know you mean well by your encouragement, but this has been anything but "little pain" or "slow progress" for me. I finally got into an orto today because it has flared up again, badly. Xrays of my right knee showed no changes in the last year. I still have minor bone spur growth, "insignificant" according to this doc, but exactly where my pain originates. I still have excellent thickness of meniscus.
The knee basically looks healthy, and I'm in serious pain. I took a cortisone shot anyway, and will think about whether I want an MRI. This doctor isn't very experienced so I'm not relying on his diagnosis too much, I want to him mostly for the shot. And there really was no diagnosis-he doesnt know for sure what is causing the pain. I think its obviously arthritis. He did say that degree of bone change does not predict pain in arthritis-some people have very advanced bone destruction and little pain, some people, like me apparently, have very little change and much pain.

Over to my left knee, which now feels much improved over a year ago. A year ago it too had excellent meniscus thickness. Today, my medial meniscus is almost gone. He expressed great surprise; I was horrified. Will my right one be gone in a year? I get the feeling none of these docs really knows what is going on.

support