Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Tibial Plateau Fracture - There is hope!!  (Read 1023 times)

Offline Tinkerduke

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Tibial Plateau Fracture - There is hope!!
« on: April 12, 2012, 07:49:14 PM »
Hi guys and girls! I found this site recently when searching out a knee support. Here's my story!
0n a fine August bank holiday in 2004 (age 22) I came off a motocross bike while practicing for an upcoming race. The pain was fairly bad but I thought it felt like I had just dislocated my knee. Of course it turned out I smashed the top of my tibia. Now my left knee consists of 6 screws, a metal plate, a load of bone marrow, false cartilage and a nerve cut out! My first surgeon ( went to operating theatre twice- first time I stopped breathing due to anaesthetic reaction!) told me to get an office job, however on my second visit to the operating theatre ( epidural this time!) the different surgeon said to recover and carry on with usual activities.
My recovery consisted of 3 months non weight bearing and a substantial brace which physio's regularly adjusted for more movement. I also put my pushbike on a turbo trainer in the lounge and gradually increased timed sessions on that while still on crutches!
Anyway, since my recovery I have led an active lifestyle with regular cycling, golf, sea fishing and road motorbikes aswell as a physical job (building). Last year I decided to take up a bit of running, so I joined a local running club and competed in some 15 races from 5km to half marathons, aswell as running 2-3 times weekly. I have supported my knee but it has stood up to running very well and I am actually going to do this years London marathon! The training for this has entailed training runs unto 21 miles, for this I purchased an HG80 mueller
knee support.
So my message for other Tibial Plateau Fracture sufferers is to have some hope and don't assume your active lifestyle has to end- despite what Some surgeons may tell you.
Right now I'm already planning on cycling from John O Groats to Lands end next year!

Thanks for reading and for anyone wishing to help and support me and my chosen charity for the London marathon you can sponsor me at www.virginmoneygiving/stevencorrigan

Keep Smilimg! Steve.

Offline Tinkerduke

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Re: Tibial Plateau Fracture - There is hope!!
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2012, 08:50:55 PM »
Hi Folks, Just an update! My knees made it round the London marathon in 3:41:13 ;D
Steve.

Offline maryc

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 16
Re: Tibial Plateau Fracture - There is hope!!
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2012, 12:51:58 AM »
Way to go!!! Congrats
8/4/07 fell
8/5 diagnosed TPF
8/6 surgery plate and 6 screws
8/12 out of hospital NWM
8/21 staples removed
9/18 OS appt - WBAT with crutches
10/10 - WBAT with cane
10/27 - back to work w/cane
12/26 - no cane, slight limp when tired
1/25/08 - released from PT, no limp