Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: ACL opposite leg graft  (Read 706 times)

Offline brookecoltz

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
ACL opposite leg graft
« on: April 07, 2012, 11:52:39 AM »
G'day

I'm booked for my 3rd surgery on my right knee. I've previously had acl using hamstring graft and LCL graft using a synthetic graft. I've now torn my acl again and they tell me I need to use my left hamstring and they have to remove my lcl screws to do the procedure.

I'm not sure what scar I'll get and how much this will add to my recovery?? Any advice please I can't find info on the net and mt surgeon is on Easter break.

Offline DennisKnee

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 1
Re: ACL opposite leg graft
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2012, 04:54:51 AM »
I'm due for surgery in a week and my surgeon wasn't keen on going into my "good leg" to harvest hamstring tendon. Originally we'd decided on cadaver tendon for my MPFL and my hamstring for the ACL. The hamstring was to come from the left leg - same as my injured knee. A week ago (2 weeks out from surgery) I changed my mind and have decided to go with cadaver for both. I figure I've got enough rehab to deal with, without having to consider my hamstring too.

If your LCL went well with a synthetic graft then I wonder why your surgeon didn't consider using that for your ACL revision?? In your position, I would have reservations about using hamstring again noting that one had already failed and what's more, noting that your other leg is about to be compromised. Then again, I'm not the expert and if you've asked all the questions and are satisfied that you're going to achieve the best possible outcome - that's all that matters!

Best of luck  :)
« Last Edit: April 08, 2012, 04:59:54 AM by DennisKnee »
Sep 10 - confirmed ACL & medial meniscus tear
Dec 11 - chronic patellar dislocation - MPFL tear
23 Feb 12 - scope, MUA & 50% medial meniscectomy
17 Apr 12 - ACLr and MPFLr

support