Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: recovery time  (Read 921 times)

Offline willdill

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
recovery time
« on: April 05, 2012, 07:26:28 PM »
Hello! I just had surgery on my lateral meniscus and cartilage repair. My told to rest for the first three Weeks until my next appointment. I also have to a cpm  for my knee. I have little our no cartilage left, and wondering how should I do therapy for and when will it be safe enough for me to return to playing basketball very competitively and outdoor activities?

Offline LindaM

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 8
Re: recovery time
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2012, 11:48:04 PM »
Three weeks is a long time.  Do you have any PT scheduled during that time?  In my surgeries I have had PT starting in the hospital and then at least twice a week thereafter.  In three weeks a lot of healing takes place and while cpm is keeping your knee moving, that is not your whole range of motion.  I would check with your surgeon's office about PT-there could have been a mis-communication at your discharge after surgery.  at the very least I would inquire whether you are allowed to do basic exercises on your own that don't put much stress on your knee such as heel slides, straight leg lifts etc.

I don't know what outdoor activities you had in mind-biking, hiking,rock-climbing etc., but usually you can go back when you knee feels like it.  But if I were you I would consider eliminating the basketball.  You already have serious damage to your cartilage and your meniscus has already been trimmed.  Going back to a basketball with its fast turns and rough landings is likely to get you to a knee replacement far sooner that you would like.  I can tell you from experience that it only takes one twist to shred the rest of that meniscus, and bone-on-bone is hell.  If you are young enough to still play basketball competitively, you are too young to want a TKR that only lasts 15-20 years at best and second replacements are never as good.

I hope you have a speedy and complete recovery.

Linda
>20 yrs. osteo and inflammatory arthritis, fibromyalgia
meniscus repair Sept. 2009
right PKR June 2010
left PKR Feb. 2012

Offline willdill

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2012, 02:11:56 AM »
Thanks Linda! I'm going to double check about the PT within these Weeks. As of recreational activities I was talking about mountain biking. Do you think with the proper therapy, maybe three to six months or a year to play basketball maybe on the weekends? One or two hours the most each day?

Offline LindaM

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 8
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2012, 01:58:50 PM »
I think you will be able to do the mountain biking, but I would check with your surgeon on what the limits might be.  As for basketball, you might be able to go back in that time.  There are any number of players who wear a brace, and maybe with one of those you could avoid the risk of a quick turn and another meniscus tear.  Its just that now you have to think about the long-term consequences of short-term enjoyment. I'm glad that your mountain biking is something that should be safe for you.  Hopefully you won't be looking at another surgery for a very long time.

Have a Happy Easter.

Linda
>20 yrs. osteo and inflammatory arthritis, fibromyalgia
meniscus repair Sept. 2009
right PKR June 2010
left PKR Feb. 2012

Offline Amy29

• Regular Poster
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2012, 04:15:28 PM »
Hi - I just recently had an op and was told I had no cartilage left, had a procedure done and was given a cpm machine as well.  They told me I could use the cpm machine in place of doing heel slides but I did have other exercises to do as well - that was for the 1st two weeks.  I played Football (or Soccer lol) and I have been told I can't play competitively again
2003 - Arthroscopy/Menisectomy L knee
2004 - ACL Reconstruction L knee
2012 - Arthroscopy/Microfracture L knee

support