Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: knee pain??  (Read 887 times)

Offline kirby-faye

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 0
knee pain??
« on: April 05, 2012, 12:46:11 PM »
really sorry to be a pest...

i had my lateral release done on monday, was given no aftercare instruction, but thanks to a lot of lovely people on here ive been given a lot of good advice and seemed to be getting somewhere with it..

Until this morning, the dihydrocodine dont seem to be helping and i have a lot of pain on the opposite side to the lateral release, the LR was done on the outside of my left knee, the pain is on the other side of the knee!! I now cant move it without pain, and cant put any weight on it..

any ideas?

Offline Vickster

• Administrator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 372
  • Neelie knee!
Re: knee pain??
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2012, 01:29:32 PM »
Call the hospital before Easter and ask :)  Or see your GP. 

Ice it, elevate it above your heart (supported under the ankle, calf, NOT knee), but keep it moving, with ankle pumps (you don't want a clot, are you wearing compression stockings). Use the crutches as needed

A fair degree of pain is to be expected after any surgery, I think the LR is pretty bad for this and swelling
Came off bike onto concrete 9/9/09
LK arthroscopy 8/2/10
2nd scope on 16/12/10
RK arthroscopy on 5/2/15
Lateral meniscus trim, excision of hoffa's fat pad, chondral stabilisation
LK scope 10.1.19 medial menisectomy, trochlea microfracture, general tidy up

Offline Lottiefox

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 16
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2012, 01:34:57 PM »
As Vicks said, call the hospital and ask for aftercare instructions - they should have given you the basics at least.

Equally as said, elevation above the heart is critical for swelling control. Ice in moderation, never directly on the skin (use a bag of peas wrapped in a tea towel twice if you don't have ice packs, or ice packs in a towel), and not for more than 20 minutes each hour. Too much ice is as bad as no ice! Again, as Vicks said, have they given you compression stockings? Keep moving the ankle and toes as much as you can.

Lateral release is PAINFUL. I avoided one two years ago but the PT I saw when I was considering one told me it would be extremely sore for a good while, and my doctor said I'd need crutches for a couple of weeks as it would hurt to weight bear. Remember you've basically had one of the central tethering mechanisms around your kneecap either cut or lasered. This will hurt!

I'd definitely try and get some advice from your hospital though, none of us are experts on here!

Lottie
Bilateral patella OA since 2009, no surgeries.
Euflexxa working well x3 to current
Right forefoot CRPS post fusion surgery 2011
Refusing to let the ailing parts stop me....

Offline kirby-faye

• Regular Poster
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2012, 07:14:56 PM »
thank you...

been to the drs today and was given amitriptaline for the pain to go along with dihydrocodine and bucasten for dizziness, she thinks the pain is nerve damage!!

im doing the ice and elevate but wasnt given compression socks...so i basically have to carry on what im doing and get on with it!!

Offline Lottiefox

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 16
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2012, 10:07:52 PM »
How did the doctor decide the pain was nerve damage when you are only 4 days post surgery?
Bilateral patella OA since 2009, no surgeries.
Euflexxa working well x3 to current
Right forefoot CRPS post fusion surgery 2011
Refusing to let the ailing parts stop me....

Offline kirby-faye

• Regular Poster
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2012, 06:22:20 AM »
it was an emergecny dr, knew nothing about the surgery etc, asked me what it was like so i told her about the pain on the opposite side and the burning feeling and she said its nerve damage!! going to ring the os office on tuesday, they're closed now for easter!

dont know what to do for the best now except ice and elevate...

support