Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: lateral release done yesterday  (Read 3555 times)

Offline kirby-faye

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 0
lateral release done yesterday
« on: April 03, 2012, 07:13:06 AM »
well as the title says, i had a lateral release done yesterday under general anaesthetic, was supposed to me spinal but was changed at the last minute..For some reason i was down in surgery for 2 hours!!

Anyway, im obviously in a hell of a lot of pain this morning but at least im at home!

I have crutches for the next few weeks, i cant move or bend the leg, i have to literally pick it up to move!! im on dihydrocodein and paracetamol for a week and have to get the bandages removed in 3 days then PT...

during surgery they found i had arthritis, which i already knew,a laterally tilted patella and grade 3 degeneration of the patellar facet....does anyone know what the last bit means??
the surgeon was a horrible man and told me this procedure probably wouldnt work anyway!!!

Offline carty

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
Re: lateral release done yesterday
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2012, 03:47:10 PM »
So has he performed the release, when he thinks it doesn't work?

grade 3 degeneration of the patellar facet....does anyone know what the last bit means??
That means your cartilage on the outer side of you knee cap is almoast gone. That is arthritis. I suppose you had pain behind you patella, that's why they made the release. Problem is, your cartilage is already damaged badly. Grade 0 means healthy cartilage, grade 4 means cartilage is gone and you can see bone surface. So you have 3.

It's a big question what lateral release is good for. Some say, not for much. It is mostly not enough to correct serious patella maltracking, yet it destabilises the patella. So it is unclear, if the less pressure, that might result is consumed from a more unstable patella, when it comes to cartilage degeneration.

I'm sorry for you about that OS jerk. Dunno why in orthopaedics seem to be a lot of people, who have no empathy at all.

Anyway, take care of your knee, it is no knew knee any more. (I know what I'm talking about, have the same problem.)

Offline kirby-faye

• Regular Poster
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2012, 06:09:13 PM »
thank you Carty, the OS didnt even explain what happened, they usualy come round after surgery and tell you what they did !!

cant fault the nursing staff, but as i said the OS was a prat! but you've explained it how i needed to hear it and not with all the big words they surgeon throws at you!!

my knees knackered!!
 i just need to be careful now i think... bandages off tomorrow and just recovery to come now, its nice to hear from someone else whos been through the same procedure!

Offline carty

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2012, 07:16:18 PM »
I'm not through this procedure, but I have also cartilage defect grade 3 to 4 on my knee cap, lateral side and have maltracking. My patella goes to much lateral, means to the outside.

I don't want that release, I try PT. For now pain is only a little better with PT, but I can really see and measure, how my patella is getiing a little more medial. I can mesure it on an old scar from a scope. Although I'm an athletic person my vastus medialis was far too weak. I just didn't new how to train it. The outer part of my tigh always seemed to take all the load, it is so much stronger.

Now with PT I got my inner part working. I can really see how it is reacting better and how it has gotten a little more volume, even after only one month of PT.

That's my advise for you. The lateral release is no substitute for PT. You too need to train your vastus medialis. It is the important muscular part to really pull you knee cap more medial, to the inner side. Even after that relatively small surgery you will realise, when bandages are taken off, you led has atropied a lot. And it will continue to do so, if you do not train as much as is allowed and possiible. Also range of motion decreases fast.
Bottom line: Get yourself PT, that is the best you can do for an operated and arthrotic joint.

I wish you really the very best.
Many OS do not tell you about all that.

Offline Alicat

• Regular Poster
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2012, 11:35:14 PM »
when I went in to have my shoulder operation the anaesthetist was really rude to me, I'm allergic to lignocaine so had to have a general instead of a nerve block, I guess no one told him and he thought he was going to have an easy mornings work. Worried the crap out of me right before my operation. They don't realise that a good bedside manner and a little hope goes a long way! lucky my ortho surgeon was a lovely man who calmed me down and made me feel better.

Offline Rknees4

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 3
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2012, 11:47:05 PM »
Kirby-faye
Be sure to ice (with material under the ice so you don't damage the skin) and elevate or you could get into a big swollen mess. This is a painful procedure thats merits as a stand alone surgery don't have very good outcomes. :-\
I recommend finding a new surgeon if things don't get better. It is also a surgery that can take longer to bounce back from that the OS told you.
Take Care good luck
Rknees4
Knee pain since teens
06/09 Patella mal-alignment grade 3/4 chondromalasia both knees, PFS
09/11/09 patella realignment,Trillat/LR/scope cleanupRK
10/02/11 patella realignment,Trillat/LR/scope cleanupLK
Cortisone LK 04/06/11
Scope LK,/RK HW removed 28/06/12
Chin up keep hobbling!

Offline kirby-faye

• Regular Poster
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2012, 07:18:31 AM »
Alicat, my anaesthetist was brilliant, completly put me at ease, joked until the point i fell asleep, yes i can remember that second..after the surgery he was with me until i was well enough to go to the ward.. he did his job, but was brilliant along with it!!

Rknees4, i wasnt told about anything aftercare what so ever! was just told to go home, and i wouldnt need to see the surgeon again, the surgeons own words, the only thing he told me was i need PT.. the bandages come off today, or reduced, which im assuming is removed!! But as i say i wasnt told anything about recovery, or elevate and ice it... if i hadnt been on this forum id of probably ended up doing the opposite to what i was supposed to actually do and been in a worse state!! he actually told me its 'only a minor surgery, with no serious side-effects and should be driving and back on my feet in a week'
He was a very arrogant and obnoxious man, and when i need the right knee doing i will be insisting on a different surgeon..

thank you all for the help and ifo you've given me x

Offline Tinkerbell11

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2012, 08:53:08 AM »
Hey kirby-faye i got lateral release done 14 weeks today cause of a tilted patella and also had the problem with cartilage worn away and alot of damage to knee joint itself. I seen my surgeon 2 months after the operation which was just a quick check up u will need lots of pt i started mine a week after my op a minor surgery, be prepared for things to happen when i went and seen surgeon he laughed and told me he expected problems and everyone has them cause the consulant a seen said i would be back on my feet in 4 weeks so i was shocked and scared why everything was going wrong not trying to scare you but i wish someone told me what to expect. I was using 2 sets of crutches for about 2 weeks and even now i walk with one and got given a full leg brace at my appoitment in feb as my muscles are shocking ! with not been able to bend your leg a was the same it will come when swelling goes down and pt will help even now my movement is still getting better each time i go to pt and lifting your leg will come took me about 2 months to lift it up onto bed at night was so painfull ! I had a little accident with my knee giving way once a month  after op got far to carried away trying to get back to normal and was told muscles are so weak to support my body weight which is why a got the brace ! Rknees4 is right about it taking long i am still off work and getting to the point now am bored and frustrated so it will take time and dont rush it like i tried to. At my appoitment in feb said its 6 months to a year for it to heal hope this helped and send me a message anytime will try and help you as much as i can :) i have a post op diary on here that might help :) I found swimming really helps my knee started that about month after once stitches were removed xxx
Right Knee Lateral Release

Offline kirby-faye

• Regular Poster
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2012, 09:19:34 AM »
thanks Tinkerbell.. the more im reading up on the recovery the more im realising how unhelpful my surgeon really was. I wasnt told anything about swelling, recovery, the real length of time for full recovery etc etc
I rang PT this morning and he didnt even know i had been in and had it done! he arranged to see me next wednesday for PT and to see if i need a brace.. My knee has given way on me a few times already when i put a little bit of weight on it, i dont think it likes weight very much yet!!! obviously its still very painful and im finding i have to physically lift my leg with my hands to get it elevated but hopefully that will ease over time. i'll have a read of your diary.. its nice to hear from people who have had the procedure done and can give me a real account of their recovery etc etc.. i'll send you an email later today if thats ok

Offline Rknees4

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2012, 01:39:18 PM »
Morning Kirby-faye
While you are out of action,check out the information hub, go down the right hand side until you come to Dr Ronald Grelsamer and click on his name and read the info he has there.  He also has a site on line that you should check out as it has a large amount of info that will be of some help and assurance for you. It is also not a minor surgery.  Any surgery can put a patients life in danger. Just try and remember what you read here is not from professionals unless stated as such and most of us that land here have not necessarily had the best out comes after surgery. Always read everything with a grain of salt.
Take Care
Rk4
« Last Edit: April 04, 2012, 01:51:44 PM by Rknees4 »
Knee pain since teens
Cortisone LK 04/06/11
Chin up keep hobbling!

Offline kirby-faye

• Regular Poster
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2012, 04:14:43 PM »
thats exactly what im doing... reading peoples stories etc while i cant do much more!!

i went to get the bandages removed today, and was told the cuts should of been stitched as they're still bleeding, so had more steri-strips on and another bandage, back next week to see whats what!! the left cut has what i can only describe as a bubble underneath it that the nurse said is filled with blood!!!

think this is going to take longer than i thought to get back on my feet but thank you all for the information xx

Offline rob43

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 2
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2012, 05:09:12 PM »
i had a lateral release done too 6months ago along with a microfracture, took me about 4months to get on my feet
i was lucky that the sugeon and the staff at central middx hospital were really nice
just a shame the follow up appointments with the surgeon is a waste of time as he is never there!!!

Offline Rknees4

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2012, 05:16:09 PM »
Kirby-faye
If you have another questions or concerns just ask someone will have an answer. Or if you just need to let loose.
Take Care,
Remember to ice and elevate above your heart. That works best in the early days.
Rk4
Knee pain since teens
Cortisone LK 04/06/11
Chin up keep hobbling!

Offline kirby-faye

• Regular Poster
« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2012, 05:30:36 PM »
RK4... thank you so much, you and other members have welcomed me and ive not once felt like im being a pain or annoying...

i'll probably have more questions over the next few days!!!

im elevating and icing as we post...
thank you again kirb!!

Offline Tinkerbell11

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2012, 04:40:14 PM »
Hope all is well am suprised u didn't get stitches ! Sorry been busy with my wedding hope u read my diary and hope it helps please send me an email and keep posting it does get easier ! Xxx
Right Knee Lateral Release

support