Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: partial knee replacement on right side.. should I have left side done???  (Read 1090 times)

Offline shmily

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 0
I have had the inside right side of my right knee replaced about 2 months ago.. and now am having a lot of pain in the left side of my knee.. I see the doctor on wednesday and am going to ask what I should do.. I am hoping he doesn't suggest replacing that side... if so maybe I should have had a total knee instead of just a partial to begin with... (the partial was the 6th surgery on this knee) the worst was a tibial osteotomy back in 2006.. any suggestions on why I am all of a sudden having sooooooo much pain on the outside of my knee?????????? :'(

Offline LindaM

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 8
Take it easy shmily,

I have had two partials and I can tell you this is not unusual.  The partial changes a few things in your knee, including possibly putting more pressure on the other side if your surgeon did a little adjusting of the angle of the inside of your knee so the weight is more evenly distributed between the two sides.  You should also remember that to get to your medial knee your doctor had to really crank that knee around and some things can get rather overstretched and painful for a while.  If the outside of your knee wasn't okay when the OS went in, you would have awakened from surgery with a total knee replacement.  All your muscles and tendons around the knee have to adjust to the slight difference in shape of the replacement as well. My second PKR was February 2nd and my hamstrings and back are still adjusting. Sometimes it can cause some bursitis as well when things shift.  For my first PKR it took almost 6 months for everything to feel normal.

Are you feeling the pain when the weather changes or you overdo things, or all the time?  Half your knee is still the original and may be feeling arthritic pain you didn't notice before because the other side was so bad.  Or if you have been inactive for a while due to pain before surgery, your muscles may just need more building up and you are aching from increasing your activity abruptly (stairs, lifting, long-awaited mall crawling etc.) now that your medial pain is better.

It probably is some problem that your doctor has seen a million times and will find a strategy to get things settled down.  But to make his job easier, it would be helpful if you wrote down how it began, when it is worst, what you are trying to make it improve, what your PT said about it etc. 

I know you have a history with that knee and are fearing the worst, but hopefully you will find that this is something that will pass given time.  Post again after your appointment and let all of us here know how things went.

Linda
>20 yrs. osteo and inflammatory arthritis, fibromyalgia
meniscus repair Sept. 2009
right PKR June 2010
left PKR Feb. 2012

Offline shmily

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
Thanks for replying.  I guess I have to learn to be patient. lol  I was very active before the PKR with the grandkids. It just seems the pain is getting worse and the knee is getting tighter since my surgery that was Jan. 26th. I am doing all the exercises and PT and it still hurts all the time not just with the weather and activity. When I had the tibial osteotomy that realigned it I don't remember it being this much pain...  I will talk to my doctor and see what he says on Wednesday and see what he recommends. I could be trying to read to much into it... I just need to take a deep breath and be just panicking... Did you have both your partials on the same knee?? or on seperate knees??

Offline LindaM

• Forum Faithful
I had the right knee done in June 2010 and the left one done this past February.  My knees are very weather sensitive and let me know if I have been overdoing things.  Then they start to swell and sometimes get uncomfortable but never seriously painful.  Are you taking an anti-inflammatory on a regular basis or no?  I have been on them for over 20 years which is why my arthritis has not progressed as rapidly.  If you are not taking anything, try a couple of days of ibuprophen at the max dose on the label.  That is really only about half of what you might be prescribed.  It may help if inflammation is part of your problem.  It won't knock out all the pain since it can take two weeks to build up to maximum levels, but if it helps at all mention that at your appointment on Wed.

Good luck!

Linda
right PKR June 2010
left PKR Feb. 2012

Offline shmily

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
The doctor told me to keep stretching and straightening.. no walking yet... and it is getting better... there is a LOT of scar tissue since I have had 6 surgeries... and working on getting that out of the way... the outside of my knee is still painful and stretching is helping. I had injections in my back and hoping that when I walk straight it will help more!

Offline LindaM

• Forum Faithful
Hi Shmily,
Glad to hear you are making progress.  I had limped so long before the first PKR (right) that I was still limping after and finally got my walking straightened out after working with an athletic trainer who specialized in gait analysis.  My second PKR(left) I had no problems.  Every recovery is different, so I guess this is one that will take you a little longer.  Stretching the scar tissue seems to take forever.  I have found that my massage therapist has been very helpful in getting the incision loose, and she really helps with the back issues I have had for many years due to a back injury.

Hope that you have a great weekend and get in some time with the grandkids.

Linda
right PKR June 2010
left PKR Feb. 2012