Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Arthroscopy, TTO and MPFL recon surgery on the 11th April 12...excited! lol  (Read 24551 times)

Offline helencatherine

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 0
Hey :)

I'm not sure if I've posted this in the correct section so I apologize if I have :)

Well I've been looking through this site ever since I suffered a bad patella dislocation back in 2010 and it's been great to read up on everyones experiences etc.  After almost 2 years of constant pain and 20 years of patella dislocations the time is nearly here for surgery and I'm getting a little bit excited...ok, slightly worried and curious about what will happen but really quite excited by the whole thing lol...strange huh!  I'll probably be terrified days before it lol!  I've decided that I will keep a wee diary on the run up to the op and continue throughout my recovery.

I'm due to have Arthroscopy, TTO and MPFL recon all done in the one surgery on the 11th April 2012.  I'm pretty sure the pain afterwards is going to be beyond a joke but hopefully the meds will be good!  I've already started preparing for afterwards, decided I'm going to camp out on the sofa on the weeks following the surgery as I'm not too keen on attempting the staircase so I've already got my new duvet and pillows at the ready haha...also my shiney new flask cause I figure I won't be able to run back and forth making endless cups of tea and I like my tea, so needs must lol.  I have so many questions I'd love to ask with regards to the surgery and recovery but I'm guessing everyone's different so I'll just wait and see what happens.

I wonder if I'll be stuck in a leg brace again for weeks, if it will be a fixed brace or a ROM brace.  How long will the surgery be?  Will it really be that sore? Will I ever walk with a normal walking gait again and be able to walk in my high heels once i'm all recovered?  lol the thoughts that go through your head when you're waiting for something like this are crazy.  I'm strangely looking forward to this op.  I'll be glad once it's over but ever more happier if it means that my knee is more stable than it is at the moment.

Well that's my rant over for tonight  ;D

Offline yc_angel

• Regular Poster
Hey Helen,

Welcome...I'm having my mpfl done on april the 5th...so thats like a week before yours...
And i must say your right...the questions that go trough your head realy are endless.....but the one I am most curious about is about the heels.....my closet consists of pretty much 75% heals and the other 15 % are flats, slippers and sandals....wich isent much...lol..I'm already bummed my heels will be in the closet this year but its for a good cause so i'll totalyt get over that....i gues I'll just have to buy extra nice flats and sneakers to get trough ;D

May i ask what a TTO is?

Xx

Angel
"Surgery is a trauma in and of itself and once it's over, the real healing begins. It's called recovery. Recovery is not a team sport. It's a solitary distance run. It's long. It's exhausting. And it's lonely as hell."

23 years :D
07/06/2007 1st Patella dislocation
5/04/2012 MPFL reconstruction

Offline helencatherine

• Regular Poster
Hey Angel xx

Good luck with the MPFL surgery on the 5th, hope everything goes well :) If you're anything like me you'll have either bought yourself a whole new closet full of clothing and footwear or planning to buy it to accommodate this surgery lol!

The TTO i'm having stands for Tibial Tuberosity Osteotomy, it's basically bone realignment to improve the movement of the kneecap so it tracks properly,  not entirely sure of the full ins and outs of the procedure all I'm aware of is that it will be realigned then screwed in place lol i'm sure people will keep me right on here :) as long as it works that's all that matters lol

I'm going shopping today for new clothing! I'm expecting to be braced up therefore i'll be living in shorts and dresses for a while so i'll be going shopping today for some cute shorts and cute skater dresses, sneakers and sexy flats lol...I'm going to try and make some kind of padding for the handrests on my crutches cause I know through experience that your hands end up sore using the crutches so i'm going to make some padded covering for them.  Who says you can't look sexy on crutches! damn right you can lol  ;D

Offline yc_angel

• Regular Poster
Lol Helen your totaly right :P....I shopped yesterday ;D...got everything new from shorts to cute dresses and skirts....i also bought some jogging pants XL incase it gets a little chilly....right now i have pretty sandals and slippers to wear but I'm already eyeing new ones ofcourse...

As for my crutches I already pimped them.. ;D...they look like rays of sunshine...who said crutches can't be fashionable....I have ergonomic grips on mine...meaning it form fits to my palm thus giving me no pain what so ever when walking with them ;D

I'll post a picture when my orders stickers come in....cuz i wanted some cute stickrs on them aswell..
Have fun shopping 2day ;D

Xx

Angel
"Surgery is a trauma in and of itself and once it's over, the real healing begins. It's called recovery. Recovery is not a team sport. It's a solitary distance run. It's long. It's exhausting. And it's lonely as hell."

Offline lululocket

• Forum Faithful
Hi Helen!

Oh the tea flask is a great idea! Can you get a shoulder strap for it, or find a handbag with a shoulder strap which you can put it in to carry it to your chosen comfy spot? It's also useful to have a handbag with a shoulder strap or a backpack for when you need to leave the house.

I had a TTT on my second leg three weeks ago, and I'm already in less pain than I was pre-surgery, how great is that!

On the fixed vs ROM brace, it really depends on your surgeon. Or the day apparently - on my left leg I had a fixed brace, but now I've had the right leg done (by the same OS) I've got a ROM (still locked at 0/0 for now, so effectively fixed).

I'm glad you're having fun with the outfit planning - I'm in London and it's mostly been warm enough for my skirts which is great. May I recommend getting some cycling shorts to wear underneath? Then, when physiotherapists start waving your legs around and you have to clamber in and out of a car you don't have to give a second thought to flashing the world because the magic of cycling shorts has that covered! I've stolen borrowed my sister's and she's not that pleased!

My surgery was 2 hours (including the pre-op anaesthetic, the time putting in a nerve block, and the post-op recovery, so that was how long I was out of the ward where my parents were hanging out). However, I didn't have the MPFL, so yours would probably be a little longer.

In terms of pain afterwards, my two TTTs were very different from each other. The second time was pretty much fine, and the pain was mostly under control. The key is getting meds that agree with you. My first one was awful BUT mainly because the painkillers made me nauseous, didn't reduce the pain enough AND I didn't really tell anyone. I simply didn't know that different painkillers would make such a difference, I thought that I was stuck with how I was feeling. Keep telling everyone around you strong the pain is and all your other symptoms and they can try you on other things if necessary, there are loads of options but they have to just use trial and error to see what works for you.

I also had a femoral nerve block the second time (and the first time but it didn't work). I've since discovered that these are are not universal, and there are risks, so chat with your OS beforehand to check about that option which may help to reduce the pain.

You will walk normally again. Eventually. My gait has changed though because it was 'wrong' before (knee falling inwards), and since your knee will slide along a different path from before it will feel like you are completely relearning to walk.

I asked my OS about wearing heels again (this is a year down the line by the way, not in the near future), and he kind of pulled a face, and said it was ok although not great. He said that a two inch heel is high and a three inch heel is very high, and that he wouldn't want any patient to go higher. I think he feels that way about healthy people as well though! A heel will increase the pressure behind the kneecap, and since a TTT does that already it can prove a bit much.

I have small feet, and I can live with a three inch limit - to be honest the fear of dislocation meant I never went much beyond that anyway really. Post one TTT, I was avoiding them when walking a long way, so I always commute to work in flat or nearly flat shoes and leave 2 inch shoes under my desk at work to put on once I get there. I found 2 inches perfectly comfortable post TTT. I also could clomp about in boots with a chunky 2.5 inch heel without even noticing, and in Feb I wore my highest 4.25 inch shoes at an event as I knew I wasn't walking about too much, so don't give up! I've actually found that with that height, heels were more comfortable than before! On the left leg which had been fixed, as my weight sat differently there was less pressure on the ball of the foot, so I'd only get that tingly feeling in the ball of my right foot (i.e. pre-surgery leg). Unless your shoes are all MASSIVE you'll probably get into them again, but do speak to your OS. I asked him about an event I'm going to 10 weeks after surgery to see if I might be walking, and he said yes, definitely. Then he frowned and said sternly 'no heels'. Hah, after 10 weeks, he must think I'm mad!

Let us know how you get on!
Lulu
2003 RK dislocation
multiple sublaxations (10+), both knees
2007 LK dislocation
03/2010 TTT on RK
03/2012 TTT on LK

Offline helencatherine

• Regular Poster
Well folks my surgery is just 6 days away and i'm now beginning to get a little bit nervous, so many concerns and worries but i'm sure everything will be ok on the day :)  I've been preparing the house the past few days to make it obstacle free so I have a free run around the downstairs part of the house.  Housework is not my forte but needs must lol.  I've decided that i'll be camping out on the sofa for a few weeks and treated myself to a nice new duvet set, some books, flask and a handy reacher to pick up anything that I drop lol.  I took your advice on the cycling shorts lulu lol....bought a few dresses as well as shorts and a couple of pairs of joggies, some nice trainers and a pair of cute flats.  I've also bought crutch grips, the pain in your hands from using crutches becomes unbearable at times so this time i've planned ahead and bought some oarsome potential grips, they seem sturdy enough but won't find out until next week just how sturdy they are lol. 

I've not heard anything about having a nerve block prior to surgery.  Does this go into your thigh? I must say it sounds painful though :( how long does the block last? Another wee question I have is, how soon after surgery do they start any physio?

Offline lululocket

• Forum Faithful
A femoral nerve block is to numb your leg. They use a needle to saturate the top of the nerve with some kind of liquid, which then prevents any signals getting though, so you don't feel anything. This is a good thing! Bones generally are quite difficult to relieve pain from, so a nerve block is a common option.

They can use an ultrasound to guide the needle in more precisely, which I requested the second time as they missed the first time around (happens in about 10% of cases apparently). Using ultrasound is not standard as it is slower and more expensive, and for the 10% for whom it doesn't work they can just have painkillers instead.

For me, they did the general anaesthetic first, so I didn't know anything about putting the nerve block. Some places keep you awake so that they can check that it has worked (i.e. can you feel them touch your leg), but it's apparently not a big deal, just like an normal injection.

The blocks last between 12-24 hours.

Regarding starting physio - there is huge variation between surgeons, so ask yours (anything between one day and six weeks). I started after one week, which was perfect for me as my pain had settled down a bit but I hadn't waited too long. I wouldn't want to wait more than two weeks as you start to lose muscle tone very very quickly, and you don't want the joint to start getting stiff from keeping it straight for ages. Also, I was doing quad sets and ankle pumps by myself on my surgeon's recommendation up to that point (read about recovery stages here http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEnotes/node/1119.

The most important weapon you have is knowledge! Keep asking questions, and honestly you will be fine. You're already 10 times better informed than I was after my first surgery! I was also so so nervous after the surgery about breaking things or doing the wrong thing, but I was still fine in the end. We're all behind you!

Lulu
2003 RK dislocation
2007 LK dislocation
03/2010 TTT on RK
03/2012 TTT on LK

Offline yc_angel

• Regular Poster
Just 3 more days.....did you succeed in getting everything you needed? xx

Offline helencatherine

• Regular Poster
3 days to go and i'm beginning to get really quite worried now :( I've been tossing and turning at night with worry about the op and how i'm going to feel pain wise when i wake up from the anesthetic.  I know i'm in the best place to deal with the pain etc but it doesn't help the worry in my head :(

I'm prepared as prepared can be at home lol.  Gutted out all the lower half of the house since i'll be camping downstairs for a while, managed to get all the other little bits and bobs in that I think I'll need so I'm pretty sure I have everything covered.  Part of me is excited, the bigger part is worried...i'm hoping that this will settle down although i'm not sure it will lol.

I've been reading up on a couple of diaries the past few days which have been helping to relieve some of the concerns and worry that I have :) I'm glad i've taken the time to look around the site, it's really very helpful to those that are going through knee problems and awaiting surgery, if it wasn't for this site i'd have gone mad already lol

Offline helencatherine

• Regular Poster
1 more sleep!  I have such a mixture of feelings about the whole thing now, so many emotions and thoughts churning away.  Hospital bag is all packed :) as of midnight tonight i'm fasting...no food or fluids..going to be like a bear with a sore head tomorrow morning lol, then again even if i was allowed to eat I probably wouldn't be able to down to nerves :)

Tonight i'm just going to eat as much as I can, keep my mind busy by reading books and catching up on some TV programs I've missed, the only thing that's not complete for tomorrow is the delivery of my grocery shopping lol but that's due soon...can't have my two teenagers starving whilst i'm away getting a sexy new look for my leg lol :)

I'll try keep my diary up to date, however i'm anticipating that it will probably be Friday at the earliest that I'll have a wee update with regards to the actual surgery :) x

Offline yc_angel

• Regular Poster
Wel i wish you the best for 2morrow....i know all about those nerves but all those went away once i saw my OS for the last time before i went into surgery....it was like a reassuance everything was going to be fine....so think positive and just let everything happen..... ;D

Xx

Angel

Offline helencatherine

• Regular Poster
Hey!  Surgery went well :-) I was in the operating theater for 4 and a half hours then 2 hours in recovery.  I had my op done at forth valley hospital larbert in Scotland by my surgeon Mr Hendrix who was quite simply amazing at helping me understand everything that was going to happen, honestly can't praise the guy enough.  I'm currently on a cocktail of drugs including morphine and codiene all in I'm taking around 10meds to try and control my pain which I'm still trying to do! Didn't have a great sleep last night as the pain was so intense sitting at around an 8 to 9.  I'm in a full leg cast and have been advised that I will have this on for a week then it will be removed and I'll then be non weight bearing for approx 6 weeks with no brace :-o.  The slightest movement of my leg creates a lot of pain and discomfort so I'm not looking forward to this lol, not sure if I'll have to sleep .with a brace on or not.  I am NOT liking this bedpan carry on lol thankfully I'm in my own private room!  Then again I think I'd rather this than even attempt to get up I'm that sore lol.  I'll update later once I'm settled at home x

Offline lululocket

• Forum Faithful
Hi,
Well done! Just think, on average the pain is worst at the beginning and slowly gets better and better. So ever few hours you get through should (on average) be better than the previous few hours. You've already got through several hours of being at an 8 or 9 out of 10 in pain, which means you CAN get through whatever gets thrown at you next AND hopefully it will keep getting a little better so even easier to get through.
PS I hear you on the bedpan; it took me a while to get going again and there's nothing worse than all that palaver and then no results!
2003 RK dislocation
2007 LK dislocation
03/2010 TTT on RK
03/2012 TTT on LK

Offline yc_angel

• Regular Poster
I'm glad everything went on great with our surgery....the pain is indeed awfull and moving is hell but getting trough that realy does set the tone for the recovery i think...eventhough i wake up with pain at an 8 or a 9 now everymorning...I know i can handle it even if i have to grit my teeth...eath take my meds and then wait for the relief....lol..

I must say it does get better....I'm at a week post op 2day and the only moments when its bad its in the morning and late at night, ..during the day its getting better....so good that at times i can stretch the hours in between my meds wich are nice...

Hope you feel better soon ;D
Xx

Angel

Offline helencatherine

• Regular Poster
Oh my god moving around is hell! Just walked to the toilet using a Zimmer frame as I'm too dizzy to walk with my crutches and I swear the pain I'm in right now is off the scale! Is this dizzy feeling normal? My leg feels as though it's going to explode lol I'm posting this in sheer frustration, god please let me get relief tonight

support