Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Broken knee four months after repair - would love to compare notes  (Read 1544 times)

Offline Babsy_Boop

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
I would love to interact with someone who has already been through this - feel very alone and surprised that the pain is still so strong.  If you have a minute would love to hear from you.  Thanks
11/23/11 - Comminuted fx of R patella,
12/2/11 - ORIF, cast for 6 wks
1/16/12 - Cast removed and splint applied, PT begun
1/30/12 - Aggressive ROM, flexion only to about 40 degrees
3/5/12 - ROM to about 70 degrees, MUA on 3/8, daily PT for 2 wks
4/4/12 - ROM 120, still painful after use

Offline Akntter

• Regular Poster
Re: Broken knee four months after repair - would love to compare notes
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2012, 02:21:54 AM »
You poor baby. This is a great site & has given me much support & information. Give me info as to your level of rehab. How is your swelling. What you have to concentrate on is how far you have come.  You could use this site to keep record of your progress. I'm 13 mths out
Amy
2/7/11displaced pat fx- 3parts
2/9 OR: Patella, 2 K-wires & fig 8; immobilize; PWB walker
3/3 sutures out; 30 deg flex FWB walker
4/4 90 deg flex start PT
5/7. 120deg flex. Good healing of kneecap. Wean off walker/cane

Offline ShoeCrazy

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2012, 06:29:34 AM »
Still going through it 8 months later.....maybe that's not what you want to hear! I wish I had kept a diary and took more pictures of this painfully slow recovery. I guess everyone is different but because it is so slow & small improvements/gains, you easily forget how far you have come( and the difficult road it is). Because it does improve. I just can't tell you yet how much. Some do report good things 2-3 years post injury. I plan on being in that group someday. Just think that my knee will not be happy until the metal is removed, probably not until the year mark. That will be the third surgery to bounce back from within a year.

Since the scope 4 weeks ago I have added massage to rehab. Highly recommend. It's no longer just my knee that needs helps. Back, hip, quads, calf.....so much rehab to do.

So I take Advil 400mg every 4-6 hrs, bike, physio twice a week, home exercises, JAS brace x3 a day, ice, massage once a week. Want to add pool exercise as well but work minimum 4 days a week and have 2 kids to try to keep up with!!!Sometimes there simply is not enough hours in the day!

I know the frustration and pain. And I know that no one else could possibly understand without experiencing it first hand. So if can help you out at all, I would like to. I do remember where you are at and that's when I probably started posting on here. Helped me feel not so alone. So any questions you have- ask away and I am sure you will get responses!

« Last Edit: April 01, 2012, 11:11:29 PM by ShoeCrazy »
3/8/11 Broke right patella
5/8/11 Surgery- 2 pins, figure 8 wire, zimmersplint 24/7, no weight bear
17/8/11 Staples out
13/9/11 splint off, weight bear & start physiox2 week
17/11/11 OS recommends MUA on 5/12/11(canceled)
18/12/11  JAS
02/03/12  Scope, debridement & MUA
23/04/12  125 rom

Offline webster1661

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2012, 06:53:32 PM »
BB- glad you found this site. It has helped me and I'm sure many others get through this experience. It is nothing we plan on, it just happens from one minute to the next and life changes dramatically. Sharing here can help you and others at same time.
One thing I've read and agree with is how important it is to stay ahead of the pain by taking painkillers on a regular schedule. My OS advised me not to take advil or any ibuprofen as it interferes with bone growth. I've been on extra strength Tylenol (an 8hr one so I don't have to remember to take it every 4hrs). Don't feel you are a whimp; if you are having pain, take whatever works for you. If you don't manage the pain you will be miserable and not able to give your all at doing the exercises you need to get better.
There is a section on this website with info,  at the top "information hub" where you can look up short forms, medical info, etc.

SC - I think I was the same as you as for feeling my knee wouldn't be the same until the hw was out. It is a much faster recovery than the surgery. Very much with it in my book.  Unfortunately I refractured my left patella, same fracture line and this time the doc put in screws and wire. The wire will likely come out again but it sounds like the screws will stay in:(
Good luck and keep your spirit up.

Amy- you are right about needing to focus on the good and how far we have come instead of how slow the progress is. My rom.improvement was slow, about 15degs every 2weeks the first time round. Good luck and keep posting.
06/06/11: knee vs. pavement; pavement won
06/07/11: xrays confirm fx left patella
06/15/2011: ORIF surgery; 2 pins, figure 8
08/10/2011: began pt; rom 35
12/15/2011: HW removed, YEAH!
01/11/2012:  resumed pt; rom 110
02/18/2012: fell, fx left patella AGAIN :(
02/23/2012: ORIF; 2 screws + wire

Offline Babsy_Boop

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2012, 11:15:38 PM »
Thank you both - it's good to hear from someone who has been through it.  I had MUA done about four weeks ago, then had PT every day for two weeks, now back to three times a week.  The pain is slightly better, the flexion is much better - I work on it every day, riding my bike on days that I am not on PT.  I just seem to get a very deep bone pain that alternates between around 4 am, mid afternoon, or evening and doesn't respond to tyl or advil, so I am still taking a few percocet a day.  At four months out, I don't know if that is normal or not - doc and PA not very forthcoming and I'm probably not asking the right questions.  I also need to go back to work soon, which seems impossible as I'm a nurse with 12-hour rigorous shifts!  I am not usually a baby but I feel like one lately.  Thanks for sharing and responding. 
11/23/11 - Comminuted fx of R patella,
12/2/11 - ORIF, cast for 6 wks
1/16/12 - Cast removed and splint applied, PT begun
1/30/12 - Aggressive ROM, flexion only to about 40 degrees
3/5/12 - ROM to about 70 degrees, MUA on 3/8, daily PT for 2 wks
4/4/12 - ROM 120, still painful after use

Offline ShoeCrazy

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2012, 01:39:16 AM »
I guess everyone has a bit of a different experience. I only had terrible pain after the surgery in August. I have lived with a type of RA since I was 10 so I think I tend to ignore a certain level of pain until it gets too much and then I become a tad irritable. Sometimes it takes my husband asking if my joints are sore for me to realize, yes if fact they are!!! And oh, sorry for biting your head off! :-[

It is a slow process & recovery (think I am extra slow). Are you pushing too much, too hard? Do you ice frequently? Being a nurse I am sure you do. Guess you had xrays to see if anything has shifted. My OS & PT always ask me about pain. You would think it would indicate something is not right. Especially deep bone pain.....that requires percocet.

When I think about where I was 4 months ago, I was stuck at 90-100 flexion and I tired more easily. quite sore if I was on my feet a lot of the day. Icing was the only help. Even up to just a month ago I was looking to my GP for some else to try (Voltaren, Vimovo etc) to settle the swelling. Again, very slowly my knee is starting to resemble the other boney knee. My good knee looks like a sunny-side up egg to me and the "new improved" knee is starting to lose the giant goose egg look! 

I can't tell you how many times I have felt like a failure. At PT, reporting back to my OS......even today at PT. Last week was a really good week for flexion gains so I thought I could keep the momentum moving ahead but NO! Same as last week.....SO frustrating. I so want to go in to see my OS and tell him not only did I get to 125, I beat that and got to 130! My mind is very determined & stubborn but the knee is testing  that for sure!

Refracturing it though.....that's got to be really tough.

Positive thoughts bring good things  :) Wishing you all well

3/8/11 Broke right patella
5/8/11 Surgery- 2 pins, figure 8 wire, zimmersplint 24/7, no weight bear
17/8/11 Staples out
13/9/11 splint off, weight bear & start physiox2 week
17/11/11 OS recommends MUA on 5/12/11(canceled)
18/12/11  JAS
02/03/12  Scope, debridement & MUA
23/04/12  125 rom