Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Getting a 2nd opinion, or a new orthopedic?  (Read 9957 times)

Offline destinycrane

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 1
  • Fall down 7 times. Get up 8.
Getting a 2nd opinion, or a new orthopedic?
« on: March 21, 2012, 03:21:22 PM »
My orthopedic is really nice. I've been going to him for about a year. He's done a meniscectomy on my right knee, 3 months ago. But i feel as though he does not believe my pain and blames me for everything. He jokes around 24/7 and talks about my knee for about 2 minutes of the appointment.

(I had an MRI done on both knees. Both showed no meniscus tears. My right one showed blood in the ACL. and bone busing. I was at PT for about 2 months. Then my next appointment, he did a manual test on both knees for meniscus tears. My right one popped right off the bat, and my left one took awhile but it eventually popped. I was told my surgery was the next week. We never discussed what he was doing. I was hoping a meniscus repair, since it's better in the long run, but he ended up cutting some out, and I had plica. I went to PT the DAY after surgery, and they had me walking, and I heard a POP. They said it was scar tissue, but I say I tore it again. I was on and off crutches for 3 weeks. I had to have an aspiration due to overlong swelling.  I'm still in pain 3 months after. And my left knee is bad)

Last time I went I was told my knee pain from my surgery 3 months ago and my new left knee pain was due to lack of muscle. I was done with PT, and he said it would not help anymore. So I got a gym membership. I walk on the treadmill and do the bike, in extreme pain. I've been doing leg weights. I was doing 70 lbs on leg press at PT, and now I'm doing 160 lbs. Which I think is an improvement, but I still have pain.  I've been having knee pain in both knees since 7th grade, I'm in 11th now. It's not lack of muscle. I played soccer.

It's getting to the point where I don't want to walk anymore, and considering to chop my own knees off. I cannot deal with this pain any longer.

Should I get a 2nd opinion or just get a new doctor?
This doctor is the only doctor my school insurance covers, for my right knee, but now since it's my left knee, I have to pay him fully.

Any suggestions?
« Last Edit: March 21, 2012, 03:27:38 PM by destinycrane »
17 years old
08-10 diagnosed w/ PFPS, runners knee/Osgood-Schlatters Disease
12/11 Exploratory R knee scope
09/12 R MPML Plication
12/12 L MPML Plication
-kneecaps still sublux

Offline LindaM

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 8
Re: Getting a 2nd opinion, or a new orthopedic?
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2012, 09:18:36 PM »
Hi there,

You are really between a rock and a hard place.  Are you doing this on the school's insurance because it was the schools responsibility that you were injured?  Usually there are options for doctors and this sounds strange to me.  What do your parents have to say about all of this?  Obviously you are not feeling very supported right now and when you are in pain everything is harder.  Have you talked with them or with your school counselor about your pain levels? 

The POP could very well have been scar tissue.  If you had been limping for a while you probably lost extension and started to form some scar tissue before the surgery.  When you had it moved further, it could have ripped-I've had it happen in PT and it hurts like heck.

About the gym-working in extreme pain is not helping you.  Some soreness is fine, but not to the extreme where it lasts over 24 hours.  160lb. leg presses are pretty excessive for a bad knee.  For one thing, you are probably aggravating the left one because you are using more force from the left to protect the right.  My PT wouldn't let me even touch a leg press during PT and after recommended no more than 30lb and do a ton of reps to make up the difference.  Why not try giving up the gym for a week and just do the more gentle exercises you got immediately after surgery to stay mobile and see if things settle down a bit.  Its worth a try since what you are doing now isn't working.

I know you like your doctor and that is really important, but if your parents are on board (since they have to finance this) a second opinion might be a good idea if things don't start to turn around in the next few weeks.  Based on that second opinion (ask the old ladies at church who have had their knees done who to see or a local pro team who is their orthopedic clinic) you can make your decision whether to stay or go.

Good luck. 

Linda
>20 yrs. osteo and inflammatory arthritis, fibromyalgia
meniscus repair Sept. 2009
right PKR June 2010
left PKR Feb. 2012

Offline destinycrane

• Regular Poster
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2012, 11:27:30 PM »
@LindaM

Thank you for replying! ;D
I hurt my right knee, so the school insurance came in. The people told us he was the only doctor they would take. My dad really doesn't believe me anymore, I think he thinks I'm faking it. He thinks I want to do all of this for fun. He thinks I want another surgery for fun.

I know how it feels to have poped scar tissue, I did it the other day. But this pop was horrible. I couldn't walk after and I cried lol. It felt exactly like when I tore my meniscus playing soccer.

My dad really won't let me see another doctor. My mom would, but she lives 2 hours away, and she said she would take me, but we would need my dad's insurance card. (And the arthoscopy was really expensive, and we still don't know how much we have to pay, and my dad isn't happy, so he wouldn't give me his card.)

I went to the doctor today and told him, and he said to keep going to the gym, he gave my celebrex and he's getting me some numbing cream. My thoughts on it working is low, but I'm going to give it a chance. I'm desperate. I'm going back in a month.
17 years old
09/12 R MPML Plication
12/12 L MPML Plication
-kneecaps still sublux

Offline LindaM

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2012, 01:10:41 AM »
I'm glad to hear you saw the doctor again and he gave you celebrex.  I don't know if you have every been on anti-inflammatories like that but just so you know, it will help some with the pain immediately, but it really helps more as you go.  It takes about 2 weeks for it to build up in your system for maximum benefit, so don't get discouraged.  It will work by helping control the inflammation as well which would be really great in your case.  I don't know how much you were prescribed or your instructions but I can recommend from experience that you take it with food or milk and if possible either in two doses A.M. and P.M. or at night if you are doing one dose.  I took celebrex for many years so I know it works. 

I've never used a numbing cream, but if you check on this website I'm sure you will find some folks who have.Just remember that there will be many people on here who have had problems so that is why they have posted their questions or experiences.  Most folks with no issues don't bother to write about their uneventful recoveries.  Hopefully just searching on the site will do it, but otherwise google the name of your numbing cream and you should be able to find out about its success. 

Hang in there!

Linda
right PKR June 2010
left PKR Feb. 2012

Offline destinycrane

• Regular Poster
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2012, 02:21:09 AM »
@LindaM

I'm still waiting for the Celebrex to work. I'm very impatient, but I've only taken it for two days so far. I have sample one's right now until my script comes in. I really do hope it works for me. I'm desperate!

And the numbing creme, doesn't have a name. He told me they make it at this special pharmacy, and they make it per order. And my walgreens says most of the time insurance doesn't cover it. So I prolly won't get it if they don't.
17 years old
09/12 R MPML Plication
12/12 L MPML Plication
-kneecaps still sublux

Offline amoler

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2012, 12:50:47 PM »
Celebrex did absolutely nothing for me. (Your mileage may vary...)
'77- Rt knee menicus tear
'90 -2nd menscus tear
'91 -failed arthroscopy/partial menisectomy
patella dislocation 10/ 2010
Dx = grade 4 chondromalacia + synovitis + Meniscus tear + lax strained medial ligaments
Fall down the stairs 7/20/11 - mcl sprain + 2 meniscus tears

Offline LindaM

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2012, 04:21:17 PM »
Don't give up too soon.  Even if the insurance doesn't cover sometimes these creams aren't much more expensive than the regular co-pay is.  I have had custom mixed creams with anti-inflammatories in that were only about $15 to fill.  Hopefully you will get lucky.  You might also check around because the price at one pharmacy is often quite different from another.  If you end up paying for it yourself you might find that Walmart is cheaper for example.

I wish that the celebrex had worked instantly, but when you have a lot of pain it takes a while to beat it back down.  How are you sleeping with all  of this?  A lot of your healing happens during sleep, so if the pain is keeping you awake it is slowing down your recovery.  I don't know how often you ice, but at night I found it helpful to put on on ice pack and hold it in place with an ace bandage and just go to sleep with it on.  It was enough to get me into a deep sleep by the time it warmed up and I got much better rest and woke up with more energy to face the pain of the day.  If you aren't doing something similar, you might want to give it a try.

You are strong and can make it through this. 

Linda
right PKR June 2010
left PKR Feb. 2012

Offline destinycrane

• Regular Poster
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2012, 04:51:20 PM »
@amoler I hope it does something soon.

@LindaM Well I can only get the creme at this place that makes it, and then if we want it, they send it in the mail. Sometimes it keeps me up, most of the time it does. I recently bought this wrap and it came with ice packs to keep in it. I wear it at school and at night.
17 years old
09/12 R MPML Plication
12/12 L MPML Plication
-kneecaps still sublux

Offline LindaM

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2012, 09:30:58 PM »
There is one cream that is over-the-counter that you might want to try if you can't get the prescription one.  There are creams with capsaicin- an extract from hot peppers- that can be used as well.  It may sting when you first put it on, but the idea is that it overwhelms the pain receptors and when they run out of substance P the pain at least temporarily subsides.  It isn't very expensive and you can get it at any pharmacy.

Hope you are doing better today.

Linda
right PKR June 2010
left PKR Feb. 2012

Offline destinycrane

• Regular Poster
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2012, 10:42:33 PM »
@LindaM

My dad is suppose to find out how much it is soon. You see, the problem with me and cremes for pain, most of them are like icyhot. I HATE icyhot! It burns, and I dunno why people like the feeling of burning lol. Thank you for telling me about the other creme.
17 years old
09/12 R MPML Plication
12/12 L MPML Plication
-kneecaps still sublux

Offline LindaM

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2012, 12:53:29 AM »
I hope it isn't too expensive and you can try it soon.  I know what you mean about the icyhot- you might as well mutter an incantation and throw some herbs on the fire for all it does.  The capsaicin does burn when you put it on, but when you have used it a few days it actually does help to knock down the pain (and you notice the burn less as a result as well).

Take care.

Linda
right PKR June 2010
left PKR Feb. 2012

Offline destinycrane

• Regular Poster
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2012, 09:32:02 PM »
@LindaM

I got my creme today. It was 30 dollars.
It has:
- Flurbiprofen 10%  used to treat the inflammation and pain of arthritis
- Gabapentin 6% the treatment of seizures, neuropathic pain, and hot flashes.
- Lidocaine 2% A local anesthetic
- Prilocaine 2%  A local anesthetic
- Cyclobenzaprine 2%  Muscle relaxant medication used to relieve skeletal muscle spasms and associated pain in acute musculoskeletal conditions

I just put it on, I guess I will wait to see what happens.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2012, 10:39:06 PM by destinycrane »
17 years old
09/12 R MPML Plication
12/12 L MPML Plication
-kneecaps still sublux

Offline jenny1000

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2012, 10:59:24 PM »
Just wanted to say if the celecoxib (celebrex) doesn't help then there are lots of other anti inflammatories you can try, if you haven't already.  Celecoxib did nothing for me, but I found diclofenac the best (slightly worse for your stomach), and etoricoxib (Arcoxia) good aswell, and that's in the same class as celecoxib so not too bad for your stomach.  If you take them regularly, make sure you take something to protect your stomach like omeprazole, on an empty stomach, and always take anti inflammatories with food.  I found out the hard way, after 3 1/2 years on them with no omeprazole I can't take them very often now or they still upset my stomach.  Hope the cream helps.

Offline destinycrane

• Regular Poster
« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2012, 12:57:09 AM »
@jenny1000

Thank you for replying! Celebrex has not worked for me, at all. I will tell my doctor when I go this month. How long does it take for a medicine to work? And I've had the creme on for about 1-2 hours and it has not worked yet. I will give it a few more times before I give up completely lol
17 years old
09/12 R MPML Plication
12/12 L MPML Plication
-kneecaps still sublux

Offline LindaM

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2012, 03:00:47 AM »
I'm really glad you got your cream and it sounds really good.  With the flurbiprophen it will build up after repeated uses.  The prilocaine and lidocaine are really good at pain relief too.  I have never used gabapentin but as a pill I have heard good things about it for pain and the cyclobenzeprine as a pill is very effective.  I have used a cream with just an anti-inflammatory in the past and it worked pretty well.

I hope it helps.  And do try different anti-inflammatories like Jenny said.  There are dozens out there and because they have different chemistries each person will have some that work better than others.

Best of luck.

Linda
right PKR June 2010
left PKR Feb. 2012

support