Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: OA of Knee, involvement of medial compartment Rt knee.  (Read 3756 times)

Offline Long Live HK

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
OA of Knee, involvement of medial compartment Rt knee.
« on: March 18, 2012, 12:09:56 PM »
I am 49 years of age and suffering from oa for the last 8-10 years, the pain has been severe to moderate but for the last 9 months or so I am having severe pains and stiffness of Rt knee joint. I have seen best doctors in this field and advised for HTO or Total knee replacement However the Doctors are also of the opinion that I should not go for TKR looking at the younger age.
Last September Injection Synovisc was articulated in my right knee but that could not work long (except for the period not more than 4 months).
Now my doctors advises me to go for HTO. My height is 172 Cms and my body weight is 99 Kg.
I have tried to reduce my weight also but failed all the times.
Can anyone of us advise me what to do at this juncture.
your advise will not only help me in taking decision but will also help others facing the pain and agony !!!!!!!   

Offline LindaM

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 8
Re: OA of Knee, involvement of medial compartment Rt knee.
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2012, 03:28:48 PM »
You have my sympathy.  I know what it is like to have long term arthritis and the frustrations it brings.  However you have an option that I never did.  My knee did its final downhill slide right after a meniscus repair.  I tried the synvisc and the $900 brace, but no one even had time to suggest an alternative surgical solution.

Just a question-have you tried one of the custom braces that helps re-align your knee?  My knee was too far gone for it to really help much, but my mother has had one and found it very effective.  Her knee is so bent in you would think it impossible for her to walk(and due to age and osteoporosis she is not a candidate for surgery) but she walks pain free with the brace.  If you aren't already using one, you might want to ask about it.

I came across this article in the search for something else and thought it might help you in your decision process.   I hope you find it useful.

http://www.biomedcentral.com/1471-2474/10/88

Best wishes on your decision making.

Linda

>20 yrs. osteo and inflammatory arthritis, fibromyalgia
meniscus repair Sept. 2009
right PKR June 2010
left PKR Feb. 2012

Offline WonkeyDonkey

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 13
Re: OA of Knee, involvement of medial compartment Rt knee.
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2012, 07:04:37 PM »
Been there, done that, although they don't do HTO tee shirts!!!

I had the same decision to make less than a year ago. I was 48 and not old enough for a TKR, however I opted for the HTO and although 18 weeks post op, I don't regret my decision at all. It is a long recovery and not easy all the way, but I have no pain, actually off all pain meds and anti-inflammatries. I am still building up the muscles and walking further each day. If you want to read my post op diary, here is the link

http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEtalk/index.php?topic=58048.0;all

It will give you some idea of what to expect if you take this route! If you want any more details please email me.

Good luck and post when you have made the decision.

WD