Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Ortho Surgeon in Houston, TX - recommendations?  (Read 2030 times)

Offline *r.n.b

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Ortho Surgeon in Houston, TX - recommendations?
« on: March 15, 2012, 08:45:00 PM »
hi, new to the site...
trying to now find a new ortho in houston, tx.

have had multiple surgeries, cartiladge transplant, lots of pain.  been putting off tkr for 12 years.  had car accident and have seen an er doc, with a referral to ortho doc.  not loving him.  been 3 weeks - need surgery - finally got insurance mess cleared up and decided i don't want to deal with his rude, impatient, slow and indifferent staff.  i've got an appt. for tomorrow on an "i know a guy who went to him" kind of thing. 
i don't really understand the entire thing, but my mri says:

marrow edema and incomplete fracture of medial patellar margin due to avulsion injury
partial tear of medial patellar retinaculum at patellar insertion
lateral anterior fascia is separated from bone but remains attached to retinaculum, with underlying hemorrhage
edema in the adjacent hoffa's fat-pad

patellofemoral alignment normal  -  patellofemoral cartilage intact  -  quad & patellar tendons intact

large joint effusion contains multiple fat globules, originating from patellar marrow

acl, pcl and collateral ligament intact

no evidence of tib or fem fracture  -  mild hypertrophic spurring at knee joint margins

medial & lateral menisci are intact

meniscal plug identified at weightbearing surface of medial femoral condyle.  grade 3 medial compartment chondromalacia.  large flap tear identified at weightbearing surface of medial femoral condyle with mild marrow edema

thinning of carilage of lateral compartment

Impression:
nondisplaced medial patellar fracture
partial tear of medial patellar retinaculum at patellar insertion with elevation of adjacent anterior patellar fascia with underlying hemorrhage
large joint effusion with mult. fat lobules originating from patella
grade 3 medial compartment chondromalcia
cartilage plug at medial femoral condyle with flap tear of adjacent cartilage

i am at a loss as to what i need to do next.  thought i was gonna have to suck it up and have to have the tkr, but the 1st referred dr says no...repair first, then replace once i got back to where i was???  don't know what to do and i'm trying to not just grab at the answer i want to hear--no tkr! 

figured if i could get an informed referral, i would feel better about both my options and my choices?
thanks for your patience for the large amount of info and the whining!
*rnb

Offline oohheykate

• SuperKNEEgeek
    • My photography-Flickr
Re: Ortho Surgeon in Houston, TX - recommendations?
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2012, 02:41:24 AM »
A lot of people on here go to Dr. Mark Sanders. He even posts on here sometimes. It might be worth giving his office a call to see if he treats what is wrong with your knee. You can google him and get his website.
-18 years old-
Left knee;
11.07.08- Scope
07.02.09- Lateral Release/Meniscus Repair
11.11.09- diagnosis of Patellar Instability/Patellar Tracking Disorder
12.10.09- Medial Reefing/Lateral Release
01.11- Synvisc
04.14.11- MPFL Reconstruction
06.21.11- LOA & MUA

Offline Moovin

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2012, 03:19:22 AM »
You can try Dr. Thomas Rivers at Richmond Bone and Joint Clinic.  He did my knee surgery in Feb. He specializes in knees. There's a bunch of Drs with different specialties at Richmond Bone and Joint. I'm sure somebody can help you there.

Offline *r.n.b

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2012, 03:30:49 AM »
thanks very much for the fast replies - much appreciated!  i'm gonna check right now...
*r.n.b