Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Time to try again! Jo's ACL Replacement 4/18  (Read 3165 times)

Offline joval

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 0
Time to try again! Jo's ACL Replacement 4/18
« on: March 13, 2012, 11:25:40 AM »
Well, I have been getting ready for my big day tomorrow.  Insurance has given the OK.  I have cooked and froze meals to make my husband's job easier.  Bills are paid, house is cleaned. 
Had my pre-op exam and blood work.  All was all set until I got a call from my primary DR yesterday.  I needed to have my potassium run again.  It was too high.  Hopefully it's a fluke.  Rushed to the lab for a redo.  Hoping they'll have the results early today.
I'm sure it's just a simple false reading. I'm getting my new ACL because I fainted for no good reason.  We chalked it up to perhaps a drop in BP from my meds. 
Elevated potassium can cause fainting according to the internet.  As I said to the lab tech, the internet can be very bad for the imagination!
Hopefully I'll get the new results by noon today and it will be all systems go for tomorrow!   ???
« Last Edit: April 15, 2012, 11:32:45 AM by joval »
01/12  Fell
02/12  MRI ACL tear
04/12  RK ACL recon Allograft, meniscus trim

Offline seantomtom

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 1
Re: New ACL tomorrow..I hope
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2012, 11:42:37 AM »
Good Luck.

Offline emergRN

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 5
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2012, 12:35:07 PM »
Best of luck to you!  Please update us on your progress! 

W
Rt.knee scope-1990-91Dx with Partial ACL tear
Rt. ACLr with hamstring graft-2010
Rt. knee scope- partial lateral menisectomy and plica excision 2010
ACL revision quad tendon graft- 2011 
Rt. Knee partial lateral menisectomy, debridement 2012
Rt. knee partial lateral menisectiomy, debridement 2014

Offline Snowy

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 93
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2012, 02:27:56 PM »
Best of luck! I hope all goes well and this time tomorrow you're on your way to a stronger, more stable knee.
Mar 11: R Biceps femoris tear (skiing)
Jul 10: ACLr (hamstring autograft)
Mar 10: L ACL rupture (skiing)
Feb 06: L partial ACL tear (kickboxing)
Dec 03: R bone edema (motorbike)
Jan 01: R patellar chip (motorbike)
May 93: R ACL sprain (hockey)
Ongoing: bilateral PFS and OA

Offline joval

• Regular Poster
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2012, 05:59:07 PM »
I am officially in holding.  Need to find out if my fainting was caused by any heart irregularities.  The hospital called this morning to do a pre-op medical history.  When asked how I hurt my knee I told them I fainted. It seems they're not too keen on having me in their operating room until I get this checked out further. 

Not sure why or how my primary & surgeon would let me go this far without them suggesting further testing before surgery?  I guess I'm happy we're going to be extra careful.  It's just that I spent the weekend getting ready mentally.  Now I need my primary to return my call so I can get a referral to see a cardio.  Otherwise insurance won't pay. 
01/12  Fell
02/12  MRI ACL tear

Offline joval

• Regular Poster
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2012, 08:10:41 PM »
How quick things change.  My surgeon, doctor and hospital have now decided I am good for surgery.  I don't think my surgeon was happy with the hospital.  They have gone over my blood work and EKG and feel I should do great. The redo on my potassium is now normal.  It has been quite the roller coaster the last couple of days. 
My CPM was just delivered.  Surgery is 9:00 EST!
Thanks for the good wishes.
Jo

01/12  Fell
02/12  MRI ACL tear

Offline Snowy

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 93
Re: New ACL tomorrow 3/14 confirmed
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2012, 07:01:42 AM »
Yikes! Best of luck. Much better that they've decided to go ahead and get it over with. See you on the other side!
Mar 11: R Biceps femoris tear (skiing)
Jul 10: ACLr (hamstring autograft)
Mar 10: L ACL rupture (skiing)
Feb 06: L partial ACL tear (kickboxing)
Dec 03: R bone edema (motorbike)
Jan 01: R patellar chip (motorbike)
May 93: R ACL sprain (hockey)
Ongoing: bilateral PFS and OA

Offline joval

• Regular Poster
Re: New ACL tomorrow 3/14 Postponed!!
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2012, 04:44:56 PM »
I guess it's not meant to be that I have this surgery right now.  Went to the hospital for my surgery this morning.  Got all checked in, IV, nerve block for my leg and even some nice calming meds.  Looking all cute in my hospital gown and cap.  Clock was ticking to show time.  We had one cast member missing. My surgeon!  :o
After waiting for awhile I learned my surgeon was going to be delayed about 6 hours, he had an emergency.  By that time my block would have worn off and I couldn't have another today. Also, the possibility he could cancel completely.
Trying to keep a positive attitude.  I am choosing to take all these little mishaps as a sign that I need to check with a cardio before my surgery.  While waiting for the surgeon my anesthesiologist had a lot of time on his hands.  We spent a lot of time chatting and he gave me the name of a cardiologist and suggested I make that appointment before rescheduling my surgery.  Going to pay attention to all these signs.
So, I sit he typing with my leg numb from the block but no surgery!
Thanks for all the kind thoughts!
Jo
01/12  Fell
02/12  MRI ACL tear

Offline Calamityrach

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2012, 05:27:20 PM »
Oh Jo !!!!   :o

I can't believe it  :(

Keep me posted !!!!

Rachel xx

Offline emergRN

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2012, 06:17:32 PM »
It is too bad that you had to get that far into the process before being cancelled.  You are handling this much better than I would.  I do however think it is a good idea to see cardio, and to try to figure out why you fainted!  I am surprised that this has not been done sooner.  It could have been an arrhythmia, a drop in B/P or even a blood glucose issue!  It is best to rule out the cardiac aspect of all this first!  I am glad that you got to have a good chat with anaesthesia!

Keep us posted!!

W

Offline joval

• Regular Poster
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2012, 07:04:02 PM »
Thanks Rachel & W,
I'm still shaking my head.  I was telling my husband I'm surprised they give the nerve block without total confirmation that the doctor is in the building or his car. 
On the bright side I got a beautiful flower arrangent from my son in Boston for the nerve block  ;)
01/12  Fell
02/12  MRI ACL tear

Offline joval

• Regular Poster
Re: Time to try again! Jo's ACL Replacement 4/18
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2012, 12:07:31 PM »
All my tests are behind me.  I had a stress test that was normal. No explanation as to why I have picked up fainting as my latest hobby  ???  One thing I have learned is I have gone form a High Blood Pressure patient to a Low BP patient.  The checks over the past month have been as low as 105/70.  No need my High BP meds. 

I am now booked for my ACL replacement and medial meniscectomy for this Wednesday, 4/18.  I had my dress rehearsal last month so I know what to expect when I arrive at the hospital.  I told my doctor, no nerve block until I know he's in house. 

I don't get to spend the night at the hospital, I have mixed feelings there.  I do not like hospitals but I have read the first couple of days are challenging.  There really is no place like home, so I'm taking that approach.  I also have a great husband to help me.

I'll spend the next couple of days doing tasks to make sure when I return the house is ready for me. I've been borrowing tips from all the previous posts.

Last month my family had mailed get well cards before they knew my surgery was postponed.   I saved them.  I couldn't save the flowers my son had sent me.  I did save the vase. I told them I have them ready to display so they don't have to send again  ;D

01/12  Fell
02/12  MRI ACL tear

Offline Forevergimpy

• Regular Poster
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2012, 01:11:21 PM »
I too have a low blood pressure and it causes lots of fun fainting spells. One thing I've learned over the years is that both pain and pain medication can cause drops in blood pressure (which for us will cause fainting). While I do not have a true allergy to Percocet, it is a medication that always makes me faint but luckily can tolerate plenty of other options.
Good luck on Wednesday and I'm hoping for no fainting issues. Just be super slow in your attempts to get from laying down to sitting to standing. (I learned the hard way that moving too fast can be a bad idea as I fainted the day of surgery in my powder room blocking the doorway.)
Right Knee:
1993 Plica removal
1994 Lateral Release
1995 TTT & chondroplasty
1996 HW removal & debridement
2005 Meniscus trim & chondroplasty
5/17/12 Meniscus trim & ?

Offline emergRN

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2012, 01:53:33 PM »
Hi Jo,

I have had the ACLr twice now, and I wasn't an inpatient for either!  I actually stayed in a hotel for a week after the last one!  The good thing is that you are partial weight bearing on the crutches, so it isn't too bad getting to the bathroom and such.  If you take your pain meds on schedule, and not just when you need them for the first couple of days, you should do fine.  Just remember that ice will be your best friend.  Do you have a cooling unit like a cryocuff or a breg polar care?  If you don't have one, I would strongly suggest that you get yourself one.

The more swelling that you have, the more pain you will be in.  They are wonderful little units.  The ice is just as important and the pain meds.

I am sure you will do just fine, and I wish you the best of luck.  There are enough of us that have had this done, so if you have any questions, I am sure you will get lots of helpful hints!

W

Offline joval

• Regular Poster
« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2012, 02:33:58 PM »
Thanks Forvergimpy & W.

FG, I'm having this surgery thanks to a fainting spell.  In January I was lounging on my couch watching TV.  Decided to follow my husband into the kitchen for a snack.  Next thing I knew he was kneeling beside me on the floor.  Result was micro fractures and a torn ACL.  That was my second dead faint in six months.
My husband said we're going to replace our ceramic floors with carpet.  I'm hoping being taken off my HIGH blood pressure med will do the trick.  The old body can't take much more. 

W, thanks for inspiration. I'm guessing you weren't lounging by the pool at that hotel.   I was told I'll be given a polar cuff, CPM and crutches.

Take care!
Jo
01/12  Fell
02/12  MRI ACL tear