Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Partial Patellar Tendon Tear  (Read 2757 times)

Offline oohmgrover

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Partial Patellar Tendon Tear
« on: March 11, 2012, 09:01:21 PM »
Good afternoon,

I am new to this and just found you all after furious googling, so please forgive me if I am not doing something correctly here.  I also apologize if this is too long, as this has been going on for two years.

I am a 26 year old female who suffered two injuries to my left knee in the past two years.  Two years ago, I was roller skating (I know, I know...) and I fell forward while going full speed, with almost all of my weight going to my knee just below the kneecap.  An x-ray was done at the time, but the doctor diagnosed it as a severe hematoma.  Swelling and reduction of pain probably took approximately 10-12 weeks, though I still felt pain on occasion and an area just below the kneecap was still tender to the touch and I could not kneel on that knee.  Fast forward a year, and I am running up my outdoor wooden steps when I fall almost on the exact same spot on the same knee.  Same deal again - nothing broken on an x-ray, severe hematoma, never healed right.

In January, I began experiencing left hip pain, and because I assumed I had begun walking incorrectly after one or both of these injuries, my knee was looked at in PT as well as the hip.  While receiving ultrasound treatment on my knee for the second time, I was suddenly in a great deal of pain, and my knee has been feeling just as bad as it did when I first injured it ever since.

MRI was done on the left knee, well-respected surgeon diagnosed it as a partial patellar tendon tear.  He recommended 4 weeks of PT, and gave me a 50/50 chance of that working, and if not, he said the other option would be surgery.  When I have been researching this injury, every case I have seen is for a full tear or an immediate fix to the partial tear closely after the injury, so I really don't know if there are other options other than surgery at this point.  I obviously want to avoid surgery, but PT has not helped the pain for the most part, the doctor said immobilization at this point wouldn't help, 3 steroid dose packs didn't help, and he said that a cortisone (?) injection wouldn't help.

Has anyone had this sort of repair done so long after the initial injury?  I don't know which of the two falls caused this, but it has been almost a year since the most recent fall.  I am hopefully looking for other options, though my PT said she didn't even know how the surgeon would repair this kind of partial tear.

Any advice would be appreciated, and thank you for reading all of this if you did!

Offline John42

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 211
  • Complete Ruptered Patella Tendon 9 Jan 2003
    • Chat with SylviaK4221
Re: Partial Patellar Tendon Tear
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2012, 10:14:08 PM »
Hi

If you let me have your e-mail address, I will let youhave some documentation, which will you an idea of your injury and the rehab procedure.

One hopes that you will not require surgery, but only an OS can quantify that.

Take care

JohnK/ Manchester UK
[email protected]
Ruptured Patella Tendon January 9 2003
Slipped on black ice.  Manchester UK

Complete Ruptured Tendon