Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Bone spurs and topical corticosteroids  (Read 983 times)

Offline briceryant

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Bone spurs and topical corticosteroids
« on: March 10, 2012, 09:33:06 PM »
Hello,

A few weeks after getting meniscectomy on my right knee, my left knee started experiencing a lot of localized pain to the right of the kneecap. I finally got it checked out a couple weeks ago (a few months after the pain had started) and discovered that my cartilage and meniscus were not torn/fractured as I'd feared, however that I had mild osteoarthritis including a bone spur which appeared to be causing the pain based on its location. My surgeon said I might only need to put steroid gel on it for a few weeks and I've been doing so (5% ketoprofen http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ketoprofen) for the last 2.5 weeks. The pain has gone down, but at this point I'd say I'm becoming very disappointed - the first few days I really felt it was healing everything as the pain went away fast, but now the pain has returned somewhat; I'd say the pain is about 50% of what it was before starting steroid treatment, which is good but not great considering the initial pain was rather serious.

Anyways, has anybody had this experience with a bone spur? Anyone have any idea how long it might take for the pain to go away or whether I should consider other treatments?

Thanks.

Offline KW

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 1
  • My new PFJR...Love It!!!!
Re: Bone spurs and topical corticosteroids
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2012, 01:44:21 AM »
I do not believe a topical corticosteroid will ever "heal" a bone spur.  It will decrease the inflammation caused by the bone spur which will make you feel better.
Right Knee
2000 - 2002 - Scope,LR,TTT,Unscrewed
01-10-12 - PFJR

Left Knee
04/07 TTT/LR
08/07 Bone Grth Stim
10/07 Loose/Bent Screw
1/08 Unscrewed/MRI~NON-UNION
02/19/08 Lt  TTT Revision W/Graft
12/09/08 Scope
05/15/09 Scope
09/04/09 PFJR/Unscrewed

Offline briceryant

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Re: Bone spurs and topical corticosteroids
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2012, 08:29:27 AM »
By "healing" I meant it appeared that the inflammation was going down and quickly; supposedly bone spurs aren't structurally harmful in general so if the pain/inflammation goes away and I can return to normal activities without pain then I will consider the problem healed. So I'm asking if the pain will continue to go down, if the inflammation might generally stop at some point: if anybody has any experience with this. Am I going to be smearing gel on my knee 3 times a day for the rest of my life, without the pain going away? Certainly the prognosis must be better than that.

support