Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: oats procedure  (Read 1867 times)

Offline kathleenj

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
oats procedure
« on: December 18, 2003, 08:47:47 PM »
I am 1 week post op after having oats procedure to repair a 10 mm defect.  Has anybody else had this procedure?  I have been told that I will need crutches for at least 6 weeks with no weight bearing at all.  The pain is pretty bad right now and I can only bend my knee slightly.  
I would love to hear about anybody else's experiences with this procedure.
right knee oats 12/03 scope autograft
right knee revision oats 6/04 open autograft
loa, plica excision, chondroplasty 12/04
synvisc 5/05
patellofemoral OA
patella baja

Offline neil

• Regular Poster
  • User's Text
Re: oats procedure
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2003, 08:59:12 PM »
Hi Kathleen
what is oats? I am unaware of the term. did you have tissue put back in the knee?
neil
9-13-02 - present, 4 surgeries to right knee. quad severed, piece of femoral condyle cut off, shaving of patella. had cartilage implant 9-22-03, fluid drain, cultures & manipulation10-21-03

Offline kathleenj

• Forum Faithful
  • User's Text
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2003, 09:09:41 PM »
The Oats Procedure is an Autograft.  It is when they take a plug of "good" bone and cartilage from a non-weightbearing area of the knee and plug it into the defected area of the knee after removing the bone and defected cartilage.   My OS described it like a hair transplant.
right knee oats 12/03 scope autograft
right knee revision oats 6/04 open autograft
loa, plica excision, chondroplasty 12/04
synvisc 5/05
patellofemoral OA
patella baja

Offline JG

• Forum Faithful
  • User's Text
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2003, 11:35:14 PM »
Kathleen,

I had OATS (with allograft) using mosaicplasty technique in April.  I had my medical femoral chondyle and my trochlea grafted.  I had a total of 18x8-12mm plugs used (5 medial condyle and 13 trochlea.  So the damage was fairly significant.  I was actually a better candidate for TKR, but being young and having an aggressive surgeon, I decided on this.  He thought I had a 50/50 chance of all graft healing well.  Because of the extent they couldn't use an autograft.  I was non-weight bearing for 8 weeks.  All I can say, don't put any weight on your operated leg.  I asked my surgeon and PT about just touching for balance and it was a overwhelming NO.  

All I can say is that things get much better. I am now almost 9 months and can pretty much do all things non-impact.  I am in PT until next October (couple times a month until 1 year and once month until 18 months).  I will start running at 1 year.  OS said it takes a good 9-12 months for it to heal completely.  

On the PT front, I wouldn't waste your visits in the first 8 weeks.  I went 7 day post op and again at 4 weeks and then at 8 weeks.  You can't really do anything productive.   My PT didn't push it at all.  I went 2x per week from 8 weeks to 6 months, then once a week now.  I do the normal PT routine at the gym a second time during the week.

Also, ice, ice, and ice.  I used a CPM for 5 weeks (6-12 hours per day) and electric stimulation.  

The very best advice my OS and PT gave me was allow the grafts to heal.  That's why they suggested pretty much no PT for the first 8 weeks.  I did some basic rehab stuff, like range of motion, quad sets, but I just let it heal.  

I still have pain because I have a huge cartilage defect on my lateral tibial plateau and Grade III-IV defect on my lateral femoral chondyle plus all the grafted stuff.  Overall I am happy with the result.  

You should look under the other message board regarding cartilage stuff.  There are a few people who have had OATS using autograft.  

If you have specific question, please ask....Janice
Sept-99 - L knee LR
Aug-02 - L knee LR/menisectomy
Apr-03 - L Knee Mosaicplasty Using Allograft (18 grafts)/LR/debridement/menisectomy; Right Knee menisectomy.
Apr-04 - L Scope - LR/Lysis Adhesions