Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: 4 year old injury  (Read 949 times)

Offline mcl614

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
4 year old injury
« on: March 03, 2012, 12:33:42 PM »
Hi everybody,

In June 2007 I strained or tore my MCL and meniscus on my right leg, and I think the doc said there was some ACL damage as well.. Somebody tackled me and fell on my leg while it was stretched out to the side, and my knee bent in a way it wasn't supposed to (with a loud POP).
I wore a brace for a while, and did about half of the physical therapy that I was supposed to. I was only 13 and didn't understand how important it was to continue the PT even after my knee felt 'stable'. After the injury I had to stop playing sports, and even walking a long distance would cause pain.

After a couple of years a doctor diagnosed me with "bilateral patellofemoral pain syndrome" because I was starting to have problems with my left knee. I can only assume that it's because I used that leg more to compensate for the pain/discomfort in the other one, and it eventually caused a problem, but I don't know  ???

I used to joke about how I could use my knee pain to get a medical marijuana recommendation if it was still there when I turned 18, but I never expected that to become a reality.

Fastforward to today

My knee doesn't hurt constantly like it used to, and I can walk fairly long distances without discomfort, but there's definitely something wrong with it and I realize now that my problem isn't going to go away on it's own. I can't run or jog for too long without feeling pain afterwards. It isn't pain on the MCL side like it used to be though, it's right on/under the knee cap most of the time. Most of my current knee problems seem to be associated with the knee cap, other than a feeling of instability which I'll get to later.

I'll just list all of my problems/symptoms below:

• While sitting or laying down with my knees bent it feels like tension builds up in my knee and it gets very uncomfortable, so I have to either stand up or straighten my right leg for a second. When I straighten the leg it pops/clicks and the tension goes away. That's been happening for the last year or two I believe. The tension feels like it's in the very center of my knee, but I think it's right under the knee cap.
    I just did a bit of experimenting with this and found that it does click softly even without building up tension. If I keep straightening and bending my knee it begins to put out an audible click... it clicks slightly when straightened, and then louder when I bend it again.
    When it clicks after building up tension it's in/under the knee cap, but when it clicks after repeatedly straightening/bending it it's in about the same spot as the click below (from sitting).

• If I bend my knees while standing, to sit down for example, something near the upper-outer part of my knee cap clicks. It's directly to the upper right of the knee cap, and probably connected to it. You can't really hear it but I can feel it every time I bend my knees. I found out yesterday that it goes away temporarily after juggling a soccer ball/jogging around a bit, but it comes back after 30-60 minutes. My knee doesn't work nearly as smoothly as it should.

• My left knee cap is normal and smooth, but my right knee cap has something on it that I can feel when I rub it. It feels like a line/ridge of tissue running almost horizontally across.

• A couple weeks ago I started to turn around and take a step, leading with my right leg, and it felt like my knee sort of popped out of place for a second, or at least started to. It felt kind of like it did shortly after straining/tearing the MCL, but not nearly as bad. Still, it scared the sh*t out of me. It's always felt kind of unstable, like it could pop out like that if I'm not careful, but I don't think it's ever happened before. And all I did was take a step!! Since then I've been very careful about kicking the soccer ball with this leg, because it has to go sideways in a way that could potentially cause it to pop out like it did before. I was thinking about starting martial arts, but I definitely won't now.

I'm going to see a doctor as soon as I can, but until then what do you guys think I should do about this? Should I stop running/playing soccer altogether until I see a doctor? Are there any exercises that I can do to strengthen my knee and make it more stable? And what type of doctor specializes in this type of injury? I don't want to go to a GP for a referral to the right doctor when I can just refer myself.

Sorry for writing so much, I didn't want to leave anything out.

Thanks in advance!

Offline Honeybunch

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 1
Re: 4 year old injury
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2012, 10:22:44 AM »
Hey. You could have damaged your articular cartalige either 4 years ago , or wear n tear from your original injury. If u had an MRI done 4 years ago, they miss osteochondral damage at time of injury. I would for sure push for a fresh MRI.
<3

Offline briceryant

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Re: 4 year old injury
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2012, 10:09:12 PM »
If you tore your meniscus, it seems to me the doctor would have either recommended meniscectomy right away (if it was non-vascular ie. in a non-healing region) or at least strongly followed up months later to see if the meniscus had managed to heal. As to the clicking you're talking about, I only had that after surgery but it was meniscectomy and led to the stuff you're talking about ie. lots of cracking right beneath the patella; there's not really any conclusion to be drawn from that though.

Anyways, if your meniscus was torn and never healed it could be causing a lot of these symptoms. Definitely speak to a doctor and get a fresh MRI.

support