Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Introducing myself  (Read 616 times)

Offline ladyeleanor

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Introducing myself
« on: March 02, 2012, 04:34:10 PM »
Hi all, 39 yr old lass and waiting for a partial knee replacement.
Love sport and do it everyday but so drugged up and finding it hard to stay with it.
Also a sports student in my second yr at Uni.
Kinda getting me down as to what sport i can do after i have it done?
Cheers

Offline LindaM

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 8
Re: Introducing myself
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2012, 08:54:56 PM »
Hi there Ladyeleanor,

Sorry to hear that you are in pain, been there, done that.  I have two PKRs-the second four weeks ago.  I'm glad to hear you are in sports because you will have a speedier recovery if you haven't let yourself lose strength.  You will have some limits when you get your replacement.  Anything that tends to repeatedly pound your knee (jogging) or put heavy demands (jumping,twisting landings, heavy weight lifting) is going to shorten the life of your replacement.  Things like golf, tennis, swimming, yoga are fine.

My friend who is a Phy. Ed. teacher with a knee and a hip replacement chooses to ignore the limits and will no doubt wear out her replacements sooner-its not that you can't physically do these things, its that the consequence is wearing it out way ahead of time.  There are only so many times a joint con be replaced or fixed.  At 39 it very likely you will have your PKR replaced again once or twice down the road, and you want that to be later rather than sooner.  If you take care of a replacement, it can last a long time.  My sister had two TKRs when she was 45.  She is a very large woman(>350lbs), and despite her weight they are in perfect shape after 17 years.  The newer knees should last even longer, especially if you are normal weight.

I know it is frustrating to think about having some limitations, but at least you are repairable.  Good luck on your surgery.

Linda       
>20 yrs. osteo and inflammatory arthritis, fibromyalgia
meniscus repair Sept. 2009
right PKR June 2010
left PKR Feb. 2012

support