Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Worth Surgery?  (Read 769 times)

Offline NewKidirus

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Worth Surgery?
« on: March 01, 2012, 06:18:36 PM »
Hello everyone,

I'm new to the sight but need advice from those with experience. I am 21 and about a year and a half ago I injured my knee at soccer, well I finally went to the doctor and they are fairly certain it is a meniscus tear. I had an MRI yesterday to confirm this (no word back yet).

My question is, what should I expect in the way of surgery? The MRI by itself was expensive (unless I read the bill wrong and god I hope I did). What kind of money am I looking at for the surgery and PT? How long will it take for me to be up and running again (running being something I cannot do at the moment).

So I can't run. stairs are a pain, I am in near constant pain but I am also just getting into a good money situation, is the money (and potential time off work) worth it?

Offline Kimberly 77

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 1
Re: Worth Surgery?
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2012, 07:22:17 PM »
It will be pretty costly especially if you are not insured. But if you let this kind of thing go you can end up with a much greater issue later. Menicus are disc shaped pieces of cartiliage once it is torn it is very unlikely to heal on its own and usually gets worse with time and can lead to arthritis. Cartilage doesn't have a good blood supply so therefore doesn't heal or repair itself. I would suggest doing whatever your Dr. suggest. for am minor tear he may suggest some theraphy but for someone with constant pain he will more than likely suggest surgery.
Right leg amputee.
Osteoarthritis in left knee.
Medial femoral condyle defect, arthoscopy 8-2-10
Grade 3 defects, patella, medial femoral condyle, tibia scoped1-12-2011
Physical theraphy and awaiting microfrature 2-1-12

Offline TwoBadKneesUSA

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 0
  • No matter how bad it is, my dog still loves me!
Re: Worth Surgery?
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2012, 09:23:35 PM »
If you do not have insurance, ask the docs billing staff if you can get a pretreatment estimate.  That way you can get and idea of what surgery will likely cost.  It may be different than the actual surgery as things may change once the surgeon gets in the knee.  You can then likely work out a payment plan with everyone one involved (there are usually hospital charges, and anesthesologist charges). Ask the doc what possible issues would come from not doing a suggested surgery.  That way you can make a more informed descision.

Milly
'83 lt knee scope
'88 lt knee LR
'89 rt knee LR (6 mos. after left)
'05 rt knee scope (clean up)
7/5/07 - scope, LR left, right clean
3/19/08 - LR failed, Supartz failed
http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEtalk/index.php?topic=47974.0
8/21/08 - new OS apt
8/5/09 - TTT, LR, PFJR sched.