Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Osgoods Schlatters Disease in 13 year old son.  (Read 1046 times)

Offline Kimberly 77

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 1
Osgoods Schlatters Disease in 13 year old son.
« on: March 01, 2012, 04:40:03 PM »
I am usually posting about my knee but today I have a question about my sons knee. He hurt it during football last season, he had mild swelling and some mild pain for 2 or 3 days. Then it went away and he never complained unless he re injured it. Now it has been bothering him more and more so we seen his general practioner. He thinks he has Osgoods Schlatters Disease and that he should just rest it when it hurts and no other treatment is needed. My son plays baseball and football and enjoys them both, will this cause a issue with playing sports? And is his Dr. correct  he needs no treatment for this? I have only read up briefly on this and don't have alot of info so anything you all could tell me would be helpful. Thank You:)
Right leg amputee.
Osteoarthritis in left knee.
Medial femoral condyle defect, arthoscopy 8-2-10
Grade 3 defects, patella, medial femoral condyle, tibia scoped1-12-2011
Physical theraphy and awaiting microfrature 2-1-12

Offline lululocket

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 0
Re: Osgoods Schlatters Disease in 13 year old son.
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2012, 05:45:37 PM »
Hi Kimberly,

This is by no means a definitive answer, but I also had Osgood Schlatters and got no treatment for it beyond rest and ice.
What I do know is that as bones grow, the section that is growing is a bit softer than the rest of the bone, and with Osgood Schlatters the area where the tendon attaches to your shin (from the bottom of your patella ) gets pulled into a little lump (basically because it was soft at some point). The actual lump of bone is probably tiny (as in a few millimetres or less sticking out instead of a totally flat shin), but as you do exercise, it means that below your knee will rub and can get quite inflamed. This is painful, but not really damaging anything. The knee is structurally sound (assuming of course that Osgood Schlatters is the only problem). It manifests itself in teenagers (I was 14) because they are growing, quite simply, and that is when the bone gets a teeny bit mis-shapen.

Over time, your bones resurface themselves, so over the next ten years or so it is likely to become less of a problem. It also depends how much sport your son is doing; if he is very sporty he may find it bothers him quite a lot, and ice is the best option. Being a boy, he may choose to just put up with the pain and that's ok too. I tended to back off sport if it got too hot and painful, and didn't use ice much. It really depends just how much pain he is in, and I guess how big the swelling becomes is a good clue. The main thing is to manage the pain really, there's nothing majorly wrong with the knee.

(also as an aside, if like me you get bigger problems and have to have a TTT, Osgood Schlatters actually makes the operation easier for the surgeon as he has a bigger lump of bone to work with! go figure!)

Let me know if you have more questions....
2003 RK dislocation
multiple sublaxations (10+), both knees
2007 LK dislocation
03/2010 TTT on RK
03/2012 TTT on LK

Offline UK Girl !

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2012, 08:39:54 PM »
Think you find there is a whole section on Osgoods Schlatters.
1978 - ruptured acl and all cartalidge removed.
several debridements over years
TKR 10TH JULY 2006 http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEtalk/index.php?topic=28257.0  Aug 07 patellar maltracking - more physio! Still pain - but so much better !
BIOMET AGC  TKR  (with 10 yr warranty !)

Offline lululocket

• Forum Faithful
2003 RK dislocation
multiple sublaxations (10+), both knees
2007 LK dislocation
03/2010 TTT on RK
03/2012 TTT on LK

Offline kloster

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
    • Knee Pain Explained
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2012, 10:20:50 AM »
No the doctor is NOT correct.  There are lots of things that can help Osgood Schlatters!

Osgood Schlatters Disease usually comes on after a growth spurt.  Esentially, the bone grows quicker than the muscles so where the quads muscle attaches to the leg (just below the kneecap), it pulls on the bone causing irritation.
Rest is certainly needed to let it settle down but there is a lot you can do to help it.

1) PRICE (Protect, Rest, Ice, Compress, Elevate) Rest from any aggravating activities is extremely important, else the condition just gets worse. Once you return to sport, ice on the knee before and after can also help.

2) Wearing a knee strap directly on the patellar tendon (just below the kneecap) works really well to reduce pain and facilitate returning to sport as it directs the tension away from the bone. They are simple to use, extremely effective and cheap

3) Exercises: gentle exercises to stretch the quads muscles and rebuild strength in them really help. This has to be done slowly so as not to cause a flare up.

5) Gel Knee Pads - good for when you are kneeling as they reduce the forces going through the knee when kneeling and eliminate friction on the bone.

It usually takes a few weeks-months to settle down completely.  People can usually return to sport after a month or so, and can find it really helpful to wear a knee strap to prevent pain.

Have a look at http://www.knee-pain-explained.com/OsgoodSchlatter.html for more info.  Hope that helps