Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: any info about recovering after a fulkerson osteotomy please  (Read 4907 times)

Offline caroline889

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 0
any info about recovering after a fulkerson osteotomy please
« on: February 29, 2012, 11:03:42 PM »
Hi

I'm due to have a fulkerson osteotomy in 3 weeks.  I have had 3 previous ops on both knees so am used to surgery but i know that an osteotomy is quite a serious op so I have some questions worrying me which I haven't had chance to ask my surgeon yet. Can any one tell me:

1. What will it be like when I wake up after the op - will I be able to get up to go to the toilet etc?
2. Will I be able to manage stairs when I get home?
3. Any thing I should prepare myself for?

Thanks very much
Dislocations since 1986
Lateral Release RK June 2008
Diagnosed trochlea dysplasia RK & LK 2008
MPFL Recon. &  microfractures LK & RK April  2009
Diagnosed grade 4 arthritis RK & LK 2009
Scopes  & microfractures RK & LK Nov  2011
Fulk'n osteotomy, mpfl recon& trochleoplasty RK March 2012 LK Feb 2013

Offline belle9

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
Re: any info about recovering after a fulkerson osteotomy please
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2012, 08:17:10 PM »
hi, have sent u a private message x
belle
*Mal-alignment issues due to torsion or both femur and tibias
*Derotation osteotomy of right distal femur and distal tibia 12/04/11

Offline moviestarkneecap

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2012, 07:27:56 AM »
Hi

I'm due to have a fulkerson osteotomy in 3 weeks.  I have had 3 previous ops on both knees so am used to surgery but i know that an osteotomy is quite a serious op so I have some questions worrying me which I haven't had chance to ask my surgeon yet. Can any one tell me:

1. What will it be like when I wake up after the op - will I be able to get up to go to the toilet etc?
2. Will I be able to manage stairs when I get home?
3. Any thing I should prepare myself for?

Thanks very much

Hello!!
I'm currently 8.5weeks post op from my Fulkerson Osteotomy. My previous surgeries included a micro fracture and a ACI (with two biopsy surgeries) and then this Fukerson Osteotomy. I was suppose to stay over night in the outpatient center two nights due to the pain but the nurse hat was caring for me lied to my doctor and I was sent home a day early. That's a whole other story. Anyway.... I have to tell you that the pain from this surgery is very different from the other surgeries. I know everyone is different but this was the most painful of the 5 that I've had. But the pain only really lasted for about 2weeks. I stopped taking the pain pills about the 2 week mark.

If my leg was elevated I was fine...painfree. But the moment I stood up it felt like a rush of blood to my shin area and was a 10+ on the pain scale. I was sent home with an ice machine and it was a life saver! I'm still on crutches and it does still give me problems but it is fine for the most part.

To answer your questions
1. They gave me a block for my leg which was fine until it wore off. I was able to get up with assistance to use the restroom. In the hospital I was on morphine then dilaudid as well as Valium and tordal. I think they switched me every other dose with norco. But those are some strong drugs.
2. I do stairs with my crutches and straight legged.
3. Make sure your brace does not put pressure on your incision. I could not wear my brace at all because the pain was unbearable. I was ordered a custom brave and it is much better...but still is bothersome.

This is just my experience and what my surgeon has done for me. I hope this helps. And I hope I didn't scare you with the pain. Im not sugar coating it...it hurts!

Offline captainruss

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 9
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2012, 02:28:43 AM »
Just a suggestion, I have trouble with pain medication basically because of my tolerance.  My doctor came up with something unique called ON Q.

They are bulbs of anesthetic that fit in a fanny pack.  Catheters run into the knee capsules for local pain relief.  I had to replace the bulbs every three (3) days for a total of nine (9) days.  After that, he had me just yank the catheters out of my knee.

This was the absolute best pain relief I have had other than being unconscious.  Better than blocks, narcotics...etc.  Just a thought.  Does not mess up your mind...or stomach....and it helped me get past the first nine days which are always my tougest.

I can send you a web site if you need.

Russ
80 Shattered patella 5 surg
09  TKR 
09  MUA
09  MUA
09  Knee infected??
10  TKR  Scar Tissue
10  2nd OS  Diagnosis Infection
10  TKR with antibiotic spacer, no joint
4/11  TKR
11  TKR PT