Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Partial Menisectomy.. all doom and gloom??  (Read 3645 times)

Offline thetruthh34

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Partial Menisectomy.. all doom and gloom??
« on: February 29, 2012, 04:16:58 AM »
Ever since I had my partial meniscetomy due to a work related injury in Aug. 2011. All I have been hearing is bad news from everyone I ever talked about it with.
Saying that I will get arthritis in about 10 years.
Im only 24 at the moment, and it has me really worried, plus my knee still hurts from the surgery.

Is it guarenteed that I will get arthritis in my knee. The pretty much took out the posterior horn of the medial meniscus.. everything else was fine.

Thanks in advance

Offline DennisKnee

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 1
Re: Partial Menisectomy.. all doom and gloom??
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2012, 10:12:58 AM »
Jeepers! I hope it's not all bad news as I just had 50% of my medial meniscus removed 6 days ago  :-\

I'm seeing my surgeon next week so I'll report back! Anything else wrong with your knee that you can think of? I hate to ask but how's your weight? Any sports? Any supplements eg glucosamine?

My OS will obviously think it's all in relation to my knee but if I can slip a couple of questions in that might help you, I'd be happy to share his opinion. Let me know.

Chin up  ;)
Sep 10 - confirmed ACL & medial meniscus tear
Dec 11 - chronic patellar dislocation - MPFL tear
23 Feb 12 - scope, MUA & 50% medial meniscectomy
17 Apr 12 - ACLr and MPFLr

Offline Kaputt_Knee

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 75
  • [Ed: Sue sadly passed away in 2016]
« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2012, 12:00:03 PM »
I've had bits and pieces of my meniscii removed in my right knee since I had a major injury in 1989 and I still don't have bad arthritis in that joint. I'm down to about 50% in there now. I've had about 30% removed from my left knee since it was injured in 2006 and again no problems. I do have some arthritis, but I have led a very active life and had a variety of sporting injuries over that time. Is the arthritis due to the injuries, lifestyle or meniscus operations, who knows. I am not slowing down any more than anyone else my age and to be honest, I'm a lot more active than people more than half my age.  ;)

I think the belief stems from the days when they used to remove all your meniscus using open knee surgery. These days they use arthroscopic techniques and quite literally just shave off the damaged parts, slicing away less than a millimetre in some cases. But the old long held beliefs are difficult ones to get rid of!

If you look after yourself and your knees by remaining sensibly active, there is no reason to believe that you will get arthritis any earlier than anyone else to be honest!

The use of supplements like glucosamine may help although most studies have proven inconclusive. Keeping your weight within the normal range for your age, height and body type does help a great deal, but if you remain fit and active that usually goes with the territory.

Don't be pessimistic no matter what others tell you! Carpe diem and take control of your own destiny!  ;D

Sue  ;)
1989 big trauma R. knee - sorted
1990-2004 3ACL recons and 20+ arthroscopies -RK
3/06 LK ACL torn!
4/06 ACL recon, kneecap broken
09 &10/06- 2x meniscus trims
3/07 - Notch Plastic & Lateral Release
14/8/08 complete revision ACL plus LCL/PLC recon
6/2/09 returned to skiing! Whoopee

Offline LindaM

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 8
« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2012, 01:19:36 PM »
Relax,

You had your meniscus trimmed due to an injury, those of us in the 50-60 yr. old crowd, due to wear, tend to get a tear in an already thinned meniscus and this is where the problems often are. 

With mine, I had over 20 years of basically painless arthritis in my knees(because I had good treatment from a rheumatologist) before the torn meniscus.  After the suryery my OS said that the cartilage was actually in good shape for my age, but losing a chunk of medial meniscus was all that was needed to tip the balance because I have knees that are a little bowed.  I never got over the pain after the meniscus surgery-my arthritis flared and by the time we stopped trying all the conservative treatments-cortisone shots, $900 brace, $1000 synvisc, etc. I was bone-on-bone with a divot out and had a PKR.  Notice- a PKR, because the main issue was the medial alignment and the rest of my knee was fine.  That was 9 months from no pain to PKR.  My second knee went this year-no pain until mid-October and bone-on-bone by Christmas and had my second PKR 4 weeks ago. (Both PKR's completely successful). THIS IS UNLIKELY TO HAPPEN TO YOU AT YOUR AGE.  MY KNEES HAD PRE-EXISTING ISSUES, YOURS DO NOT.

Do keep up with your strengthening program, I would recommend the glucosamine(last study I read in Arthritis today recommended the glucosamine sulfate as the better choice), and if you need, take off the extra weight because this will really help keep you from wearing out your knees prematurely.  I am glad to hear you are going back to the doctor because by now the pain should have settled down for most people.

Best of luck and let us know how things go.

Linda

>20 yrs. osteo and inflammatory arthritis, fibromyalgia
meniscus repair Sept. 2009
right PKR June 2010
left PKR Feb. 2012

Offline thetruthh34

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2012, 11:42:29 PM »
Hi everyone thank you for the replies..

nothing else is wrong with the knee at the moment.. I do not play any sports or anything. But I do work alot and that involves standing. I didnt even tear the meniscus playing sports. All I did was trip going down a flight of stairs at work.

Offline LindaM

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2012, 12:50:09 AM »
That's how they tear.  I turned to answer a question and mine tore.  I bet that most people whose meniscus tears have a similar ordinary thing that involved a little twist and oops!

Linda 
right PKR June 2010
left PKR Feb. 2012

Offline jco

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2012, 06:42:48 PM »
My meniscus tear was from climbing out of a semi truck.I also heard the artritis thing after sergery,meniscus repair and debridement nice to here someone say this is not always the case.
11/25/11right knee debridement  meniscus repair                                       11 /11/12mri defect rightknee cap                
2/8/13 arthroscopic patellofemoral debridement excision of suprapatellar plica denovo cartilage implantation to patella

Offline amoler

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2012, 05:06:02 PM »
Just my two cents. Letting some OS chop a huge chunk of my meniscus out was the stupidest thing I've ever done. It took a decade to be able to walk halfway normally again. I hope your results are better.
'77- Rt knee menicus tear
'90 -2nd menscus tear
'91 -failed arthroscopy/partial menisectomy
patella dislocation 10/ 2010
Dx = grade 4 chondromalacia + synovitis + Meniscus tear + lax strained medial ligaments
Fall down the stairs 7/20/11 - mcl sprain + 2 meniscus tears

Offline Amy29

• Regular Poster
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2012, 05:19:08 PM »
I had a menisectomy on my medial and lateral meniscus back in 2003 after tearing them whilst turning playing football.  I also tore my ACL at the same time and had an op on that in 2004. I was pretty much fine after all that until recently when I ended up having a Microfracture procedure after an arthroscopy showed that all of my articular cartilage had worn away on one side.  I am 30, however, I have played football competitively since I was about 7 and my last couple of jobs have been as an Outdoor Activity Instructor (involving lots of walking, bending and twisting) so I have fairly worked my knees.  I also have been told that I have mal-alignment in my legs.  So if I were you, I wouldn't be worried because you are still young - just make sure that you do the physio and exercises that were recommended.  Hope that helps  :)
2003 - Arthroscopy/Menisectomy L knee
2004 - ACL Reconstruction L knee
2012 - Arthroscopy/Microfracture L knee

Offline SarahLu

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2012, 02:52:03 PM »
Hi,
I had a partial meniscectomy around 1997 when I was about your age due to a tear caused simply by getting up from the floor and turning as I did so. A couple of years later I had the underside of the kneecap smoothed down. I was working as an archaeologist at the time, so was putting a lot of pressure on the knees from working outside, squatting, kneeling, getting in and out of trenches, etc etc, sometimes in the cold and wet. I'm sure none of this helped. I stopped digging over 10 years ago and was ultra careful after that, but then 6 weeks ago I had another partial (lateral) meniscectomy on the same knee, this time injured by rising from a deep squatting position while gardening, when it locked painfully in a flexed position. I went back for my post-op follow-up appointment today and they said they'd addressed a 'degenerative' tear due to some osteoarthritis and that I also had osteoarthritis behind my kneecap. I don't know if this was caused by the two previous surgeries or whether I was always going to get it  (my mum has OA in her knees although she's never had them looked at properly and my sister's knees aren't great either) and that the surgery just brought it on a bit more quickly. I was told this time around after a standing x-ray that I am also slightly knock-kneed so this may also be causing extra pressure on the lateral side of the joint and I guess the patella may not be perfectly aligned, causing problems beneath it. My other knee has never been operated on, but I do get pain in it also from time to time and I wouldn't be surprised if there was some OA in that one too.  I don't know what percentage of the meniscus I've lost altogether as no-one has given me this information.

So basically you may get OA down the line like I have (I'm now 38), but I may have been more disposed to getting it than you might be and I have had 3 arthroscopies too. While i was not told what stage the OA has reached, my knee is not particularly painful, just sometimes if I suddenly run to catch a bus I will get a sharp twinge, or occasionally I get a stabbing pain over the kneecap in the other knee even when I'm just sitting, which might be due to OA, I don't know. Like you, it makes me worry about the future and whether I'll end up with knee replacements, but I think in the meantime you can do lots of things to help yourself, keep your weight down and stay active, cycling is supposed to be good and I do aqua-aerobics as well, which puts little pressure on the joints but keeps them moving. I'm thinking now of taking glucosamine too, even if the jury is out on its efficacy. If you can keep active and keep the leg muscles strong to support the knee (and try to avoid any sudden twisting) the less likelihood there ought to be of tearing it again and of developing OA at a young age. I suspect with age we all develop this at some point as it is essentially 'wear and tear'. Good luck and I hope you can get rid of the pain you're still experiencing.
1997 partial meniscectomy right knee
2000 smoothing of cartilage behind patella right knee
Feb 2012 partial lateral meniscectomy right knee & diagnosis of OA

Offline Amy29

• Regular Poster
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2012, 03:23:58 PM »
SarahLu - your situation with your knee sounds very much like mine  :)

Offline SarahLu

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2012, 03:58:31 PM »
Hi Amy29- just looked at your last posts and sorry to hear about your loss of articular cartilage and the microfracture. I can only guess that mine hasn't reached that stage but no-one seems to want to tell me what stage it is at. Unfortunately when I had my follow-up today I did not see the consultant who did the op but one of his team who just had the notes in front of him, which weren't that extensive - very annoying. I felt a bit fobbed off because he couldn't answer any of my questions and didn't even really try!

It took me a lot longer than 11 days to get my knee straightened again following this last arthroscopy. I was worried as well, but I can straighten it now - was around week 4-5 when I finally got it straight. I was hampered by tonnes of painful bruising 1 week post-op from the tourniquet, which meant it hurt whenever I tensed the quad to do the leg raises and push knee back into the bed. When that had calmed down a bit I really went for it with the physio exercises, doing them whenever I could, and that really made a difference, so don't give up on it!

Offline Amy29

• Regular Poster
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2012, 06:27:59 PM »
Hi SarahLu - yeah i know not to give up - I have had 2 previous ops on the knee already.  Yeah when I tried to straighten it - it kept popping like it was giving way and does that when I try and do a leg raise as well so have been too anxious to do any more.  Anyway got my 1st physio appointment tomorrow so we'll see.  On the plus side I went from only being able to do 30 heel slides in one go yesterday to being able to do 100 today.  Also can bend it quite well for only 11 days post-op.  I certainly feel as though my rehab is going better than when I had my ACL reconstruction.

Offline SarahLu

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2012, 08:29:01 PM »
sounds like you're doing pretty well Amy29  :), but good luck withe physio tomorrow, hope you get the popping problem sorted out.

Offline LindaM

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2012, 10:07:10 PM »
Hi Amy,

Good luck with your PT appointment.  It sounds as if things are already looking up.  Everyone heals at a different rate, so just focus on your own progress.

SaraLu,

I had my arthritis begin in 1991.  I got good care all these years and it wasn't until I lost a good chunk of the meniscus that I developed pain and had my right PKR and then this past February the left PKR(and the left had not had previous problems).  If they didn't specify how bad your arthritis was it probably wasn't too bad.  However, it probably would be a good idea to find a rheumatologist, especially with the family history.  They can keep you on track with medications that will keep down the inflammation and slow the progression of the arthritis.

Linda
right PKR June 2010
left PKR Feb. 2012