Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Chondromalcia diagnosed-Lateral Release and Plicia Recommended  (Read 757 times)

Offline kianiblueangel

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 0
Chondromalcia diagnosed-Lateral Release and Plicia Recommended
« on: February 27, 2012, 05:02:41 AM »
Hello,

My name is Kiani and I am 14 years old.  I was introduced to this site by my father.  We have been sharing his site asking questions and he thought I should start a diary of my own so that I can document my progress and all of the information we have been gathering.

I know he has posted hundreds of times, but my hope is to be appointed to the U.S. Naval Academy as I hope to be the first Blue Angel Pilot who is female.

I competed in Taekwondo as a second degree black belt and fractured my growth plate years ago.  My knee was put in a cast and I have had pain since.  The pain continues to get worse and my knee is not straight.  I was examined by my dad's doctor and he stated I have Chondromalcia and I have a possible Plicia.  I am learning more each day what each of these mean.  He recommended I have a lateral release surgery.  I did not want to wait, but my dad is really worried about having more opinions.  I am very active in the Civil Air Patrol and the U.S. Navy Sea Cadet Corp.  I have serious problems with PT which is different from your ideas...we do Physical Training and have to run a mile in 6 minutes, etc.

So, I am her on day 1 waiting to see more doctors.  Dr. Mark Sanders called my dad back and he has already arranged an appointment with Dr. Noyes in Ohio.  He had called Dr. Tietge at the same time as Dr. Sanders, but has not had a reply.

Kiani  (P.S. for those who keep asking about my name...I am the youngest of 3 children.  My parents could not agree on a name.  The story goes that my dad was holding me in the hospital and watching a movie while my mother slept.  He was watching a movie called "Blue Hawaii which had a girl with long brown hair like me!  So, he woke my mother and asked about Kiani and I was named!
Patella Sub Luxing more frequently
2011 Diagnosed Chondromalcia recommended LR
2012 OS#2 recommended LR-confirms OS#1
2012 OS#3 orders Rotational CT Scan
5/11/12 Diagnosed needing Patella Osteotomy??
01/28/13 Osteotomy with Dr. T in Michigan
2-26  Dr T is my hero!!  Post op good
Kiani Is OUT!!!!!

Offline TwoBadKneesUSA

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 0
  • No matter how bad it is, my dog still loves me!
Re: Chondromalcia diagnosed-Lateral Release and Plicia Recommended
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2012, 02:12:37 PM »
I hope you achieve all your goals!  I would not rush into any surgery without a good explaination from the surgeon.  Any surgery should address why the chondromalacia is happening (probably related to the injured growth plate).  Any malalignment should be repaired, if possible.  If there is any stability in the kneecap a lateral release will make that worse.  It is very hard to be patient with pain and wanting to be active espeically at your age.  You have a bit of a special issue with the prior injury so get a few opinions and make an informed decision.

Milly
'83 lt knee scope
'88 lt knee LR
'89 rt knee LR (6 mos. after left)
'05 rt knee scope (clean up)
7/5/07 - scope, LR left, right clean
3/19/08 - LR failed, Supartz failed
http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEtalk/index.php?topic=47974.0
8/21/08 - new OS apt
8/5/09 - TTT, LR, PFJR sched.