Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: What causes enchondronas and osteopenia?  (Read 3116 times)

Offline Maggie

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
What causes enchondronas and osteopenia?
« on: October 08, 2002, 05:34:42 PM »
I went to get a second opinion on my knee this last summer and was told by the OS that I had osteopenia in my right knee the one I have had most problems with. I do not have osteopenia in my left knee, which I also have maltracking, dislocations, and chondromalacia. My right knee has been worse, but the biggest difference is I have not had any medical interventions on my left. The OS said the bone loss is more than 50%. I was also told that I have an enchondrona on my femur, that I did not have prior to my last surgery and all of the cortisone and Synvisc injections.
I am wondering what has caused this, and if it is common. I am also concerned about what effect the osteopenia will have in the future when I have a TKR, which I know is something that I will need. I am 34 now so I know I have a long time before that occurs. My next step is an osteotomy, which I am putting off for now.
Scope in 1984 torn acl, loose body removal, patellar chondroplasty. 12/01 open VMO advancement, LR, medial meniscectomy, abrasion arthroplasty, patellar chondroplasty.Synvisc, cortisone, celebrex.

Offline opal

• Forum Faithful
Re: What causes enchondronas and osteopenia?
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2002, 10:30:01 PM »
Maggie

I can only help you with part of your question.  Osteopenia is the beginning stage of osteoporosis.  The only reason I know that is because I've just been diagnosed with it in my spine.  My legs seem fine, thank goodness.  I'm told that if left untreated it will progress to osteoporosis.  Now, the dr. prescribed calcium supplements and exercise (yeah that's fine, if you have 2 good legs to exercise with, which in our cases, we don't).  In my case, I don't know where this comes from; there's no history of it in my family.

You should probably follow up on this aspect of your health with your primary physician and see what kinds of recommendations he/she has for preventing any further bone loss.!

Opal
7 arthroscopies on both knees since 1991; many torn menesci and plica syndrome; TTT 5/23/02 for maltracking patella.  Screws removed on 4/16/03!!!

Offline Maggie

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2002, 05:08:56 PM »
Dear Opal, thank you for your reply. I do understand that osteopenia is bone loss, but I don't see how it can be so selective as to only be occuring in that knee. Does injury or possibly any of the medical intervention have a part in it?  I guess I'm wondering if it is common in those of us who have had long term knee problems with surgical intervention?
Thanks again Margie.
Scope in 1984 torn acl, loose body removal, patellar chondroplasty. 12/01 open VMO advancement, LR, medial meniscectomy, abrasion arthroplasty, patellar chondroplasty.Synvisc, cortisone, celebrex.

Offline Heather M.

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 13
    • Check out my photography!
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2002, 09:07:32 PM »
One of my doctors said the osteopenia in my knee was a direct result of the trauma of multiple surgeries.

The other said that it usually took years for that kind of damage to show up.  Hmmm.

I think it's fair to say that injury or surgery can cause some trauma to the area--that would explain the selectivity of it.

Heather
Scope #1: LR, part. menisectomy w/cyst, chondroplasty
#2-#5: Lysis of adhesions/scar tissue, AIR, patellar tendon debridement, infections, MUA, insufflation
#6: IT band release / Z-Plasty, synovectomy, LOA/AIR, chondroplasty
2006 Arthrofibrosis, patella baja
http://www.flickr.com/photos/hmaxwell

support