Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Is this normal???  (Read 1307 times)

Offline Jbriss

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Is this normal???
« on: February 21, 2012, 11:49:08 PM »
So I'm 6 days post op for scar tissue removal and patellar chondroplasty. I will say I'm pleased with the reduction in swelling. Aside from bruising, staples, and a little swelling, my knee almost looks normal. Feeling is a whole other topic. It is still really stiff. I opted to not use crutches as doc wanted me full weight bearing as tolerated. My ROM is still limited. I cannot fully bend or straighten leg. And I've noticed pain is creeping back in as the swelling goes down. It's sharp and stabbing again like it was before the surgery. Am I jumpIng the gun a little to expect it to be less painful this early. Did i cause issues walking without crutches? Doc did say stationary bike or elliptical as soon as I was up to it. I tried elliptical yesterday and didnt get very far. Too stiff and painful. Any insight?

Offline Vickster

• Administrator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 399
  • Neelie knee!
Re: Is this normal???
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2012, 08:12:28 AM »
6 days is really soon - you have had a big trauma to the knee - ice it, elevate it above the heart, take the painkillers (NSAIDs for inflammation).  Do lots of heel slides, ankle pumps, sit on a chair and bend the knee back and forth.  The ROM and stiffness is likely due to the swelling

I don't think not using crutches will have had an effect as long as you have been moving around carefully.

3-6 months to recover from a scope is really quite normal.  The pain behind the kneecap could well be due to the chondroplasty, the kneecap has been scraped.

I didn't go near a bike for 3 weeks after my second scope (and probably about 2-3 months after the first).

When do the staples (for a scope  ??? ) come out and when do you see the surgeon for follow up?  Are you seeing a PT?

Good luck and try not to fret :)
Came off bike onto concrete 9/9/09
LK arthroscopy 8/2/10
2nd scope on 16/12/10
RK arthroscopy on 5/2/15
Lateral meniscus trim, excision of hoffa's fat pad, chondral stabilisation
LK scope 10.1.19 medial menisectomy, trochlea microfracture, general tidy up

Offline kscope09

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2012, 12:02:40 AM »
I was put on weightbearing as tolerated after my scope but really I wish I'd been given cruthces or even a stick oz they would ahve helped so much getting around.  The result was that my good knee took far too much strain and is not very well as aresult.  My advice is use crutches or a stick if you have to go out for the next few weeks but if you can manage around the hosue without them then definaetly do because there is the danger of getting reliant on them.
Feb 08 Inurred right knee
18 months of physio, knee tracking but knee still painful
Aug 09 Scope - Small tear in acl, fragment found in postereo-lateral compartment, suprapatella and lateral plica and small defect in mfc.
May 10 Right knee feeling better but left knee causing trouble as a result o

Offline Jbriss

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2012, 01:37:00 AM »
Thanks for the responses. I get staples out Monday. I am pleased with the return of almost full range of motion. I am concerned about the return of pain and the weakness in surrounding muscles. I will say that hindsight I should have used crutches. My good knee is creaking. I know as soon as I am up to it I am going to really concentrate on building up my leg muscles to support my knees better. I was running about 2 to 2.5 miles 3 or 4 times a week and really want to get back to that, but only in the best form for my knees.

Offline kscope09

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2012, 10:06:57 AM »
I don't wanna but the dampers on things but I had a non-weighbtbearing defect and I was told that runs like that were off limits and jogging is worse (more impact)  Defeinaetely no hill running and where I live is all hills.  As a result I will only run on grass to try and preserve the conservative surgery for as long as posible.  I was told that ocne my defect has failed I will be 10 years away from a tkr so if they last 10 years then mine will fail at 38 (31 now) and I'll be ready for a TKR at 48 which is 12 years short of the watershead for TKRs.

Defeinately ask the OS and physios if they think that kind of running is a good idea.
Feb 08 Inurred right knee
18 months of physio, knee tracking but knee still painful
Aug 09 Scope - Small tear in acl, fragment found in postereo-lateral compartment, suprapatella and lateral plica and small defect in mfc.
May 10 Right knee feeling better but left knee causing trouble as a result o

Offline Jbriss

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2012, 05:01:38 PM »
Staples out today :-). OS said he thinks he removed what was causing pain. Also said no running until
I build muscles back up around knee. It's shocking how weak my leg is after only 12 days. I sure have my work cut out for me. Thanks everyone for all your advice and support while I was dealing with this knee issue. I wish everyone the best of luck with their knees :-)

Offline crymouth

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2014, 07:46:49 PM »
Jbriss,

I was wondering how your knee has been since your chondroplasty.  I may have to have this done eventually and am looking for long-term results.  Are you back to running?  How is your pain?

Thank you.
Crystal
Five years old - First dislocation
'05 - scope, loose body removal, mild meniscus repair  (after a bad rt knee dislocation)
'13 - last dislocation
Feb 21 '14 - TTO and MPFL Reconstruction (Rt knee)

support