Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Tore my ACL and now recovering. Will I be able to go back to sports like b4?  (Read 682 times)

Offline JenWhoIsMe

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
I tore my acl around christmas time and had surgery on feb 17 2012. i have 7 weeks of physical therapy, and have been getting stronger each time. But i'm worried that i won't be able to perform in taekwondo like i used to be able to before this all happened. I still can't straighten my knee all the way, and my knee won't bend all the way either. :/ what do i do? HELP.

I'm going to be a black belt by tonight and i want to participate so badly.... i want to go back to taekwondo.taekwondo has made me, me. it has defined my life. and it has shattered my heart that i can't go back to taekwondo until november. :< :(

Offline Snowy

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 93
Hi Jen,

Don't worry - you're still in the very early days of rehab. I'm afraid it will be a long time before you can start Taekwondo again (it's so incredibly important that you stick to the rehab protocol and timeline that your surgeon gave you) but the good news is that the vast majority of ACL surgeries are very successful, and you should be able to go back to sports and build back up to your previous level once you're fully recovered.

I sympathise a great deal with your situation, as I'm a passionate skier and I also had to sit out of my sport for what felt like forever after surgery. I returned to skiing after seven months (so roughly the same timeline that you've been given for Taekwondo) but to be quite honest, it was a full year before my knee started to feel really "normal" again. The good news is that this winter is my second season back since the surgery, and my knee has held up fantastically; I no longer wear a brace, the knee is feeling great on the slopes and on jumps, and I've been able to get out into the backcountry and ski harder conditions than I did before theinjury.

I'm afraid you're entering the really frustrating part of recovery, where you've been working hard and things are getting better but "normal" still feels a really long way away. It lasts a while, but keep plugging away at the rehab and you will get there. Straightening the knee is actually more important than bending it fully at this stage; full flex can take a long time to come back (months in my case) but full extension is really important to be able to walk with a correct gait. Make sure your physiotherapist is working with you on flex and extension exercises as well as the strengthening.

Best of luck with your recovery! There is a light at the end of the tunnel - it just takes a while to reach it.

Kay
Mar 11: R Biceps femoris tear (skiing)
Jul 10: ACLr (hamstring autograft)
Mar 10: L ACL rupture (skiing)
Feb 06: L partial ACL tear (kickboxing)
Dec 03: R bone edema (motorbike)
Jan 01: R patellar chip (motorbike)
May 93: R ACL sprain (hockey)
Ongoing: bilateral PFS and OA

support