Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Hyaluronic Acid... Need info  (Read 11398 times)

Offline Ladymayin

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Hyaluronic Acid... Need info
« on: February 20, 2012, 06:20:11 PM »
I found info on hyaluronic acid from a few years ago. Has anyone taken this stuff for a few years with good results?
   If so, what is a good brand, should it be derived from rooster comb or synthetic, what dosage is best?
    Does anyone use equine product and is it safe for humans?
    So many questions. I don't want to waste my money on a poor product but I'm willing to spend a little more for quality.
   I'm also concerned about products from China and would prefer USA made.
  So, if you know of any useful info would be greatly appreciated. ::)
Marion

Offline LindaM

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 8
Re: Hyaluronic Acid... Need info
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2012, 01:43:12 AM »
Before you start checking out brands you need to consider a couple of things.  First, are you bone on bone yet?  If so there is not going to be any benefit to having a shot.  I had synvisc on the way to my first PKR as part of a series of conservative treatments, because after my meniscus repair the doctors thought that my arthritis had flared and we didn't realize the knee was as bad as it was.  It was unsuccessful.  And even it it had been, it takes a month to kick in and fades out at 6 months to a year. This time, my rheumatologist didn't even suggest it.  He said that at a recent conference he attended he found out that the results for a cortisone shot are as good or better than the $1000 dollar shots.

Second, the synvisc only works for 55% of the people who have it.

When I researched on the internet I searched under synvisc and hyaluronic acid separately, but also under journal articles on them.  Those really were the most useful.  Hope this helps.

Linda
>20 yrs. osteo and inflammatory arthritis, fibromyalgia
meniscus repair Sept. 2009
right PKR June 2010
left PKR Feb. 2012

Offline Ladymayin

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2012, 07:08:00 PM »
Actually, I was interested in taking HA orally with pill or liquid. Research shows it's effective on horses!! Has anyone done this with good results???
  My knee is bone-on-bone and doc does not recommend HA injection unless all I was to do is postpone surgery(TKR).
  Waiting for hip to be less inflammed after yesterday cortisone injection before I decide on going ahead with surgery.
Marion

Offline LindaM

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 8
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2012, 01:17:57 AM »
Hope your hip is doing better today.  I have never heard of HA orally for people in what I have read, but there is always something new coming along.

Linda
>20 yrs. osteo and inflammatory arthritis, fibromyalgia
meniscus repair Sept. 2009
right PKR June 2010
left PKR Feb. 2012

Offline Ladymayin

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2012, 07:17:38 PM »
Thanks Linda,  Since hip felt better today I added a little more exercise.....bad idea. Not in tremendous discomfort but I will cut back to my usual routine.
   Decided to go ahead with Hyaluronic Acid 100 mg by mouth daily. Made by Source Naturals. Has good reviews on Amazon(don't know how valid reviews are). Will update any change after I give it a few weeks.
Marion

Offline smartdriver

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2012, 03:16:27 PM »
You can also try Osteo-Sport made by Applied Nutriceuticals.  It's not cheap, but it does have alot of good ingredients in it in addition to the hyaluronic acid.

New Chapter also makes a product called Zyflamend which is good for inflammation/pain relief as well.

Offline npw171264

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2012, 04:33:53 PM »
Hi, i had the microfracture surgery, and then had the injections done after 5 months, i went for 3 months treatment with hyaluronic acid injections. It initially helped but microfracture failed in 2010. I have just had a microfracture done last week so i will try them again and let you all know.

Nicky

Offline PonyExpress

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2012, 11:09:56 AM »
Actually, I was interested in taking HA orally with pill or liquid. Research shows it's effective on horses!! Has anyone done this with good results???
  My knee is bone-on-bone and doc does not recommend HA injection unless all I was to do is postpone surgery(TKR).
  Waiting for hip to be less inflammed after yesterday cortisone injection before I decide on going ahead with surgery.

My horse had HA in her last cortisone injection in her knee, she has arthritis - I did not know it was available orally for horses, next time I see my vet I may have a chat with him about it. She has glucosamine as a powder which we mix with her food.

How are you getting on with taking HA orally? have you noticed any benefits? I ordered some a while ago, but am still waiting for delivery. These are the ones I've ordered: http://www.woodshealth.com/hyaluronic-acid.html only 12.5mg per daily dose though.

I'm currently taking glucosamine, not sure of benefits as I am still getting over the MFX.
19th Feb 2012 Damaged knee falling off horse, banged leg on jump
18th Apr 2012 MRI indicated significant bone bruising
30th Apr 2012 EUA arthroscopy, MUA, MFX medial femoral condyle
17th Jul 2012 Cortisone injection into Fat Pad

support