Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: knee is biomechanically different?  (Read 876 times)

ddavid

knee is biomechanically different?
« on: February 20, 2012, 01:23:35 PM »
Hi all,

I had mpfl/debridement/ and torn meniscus surgery last June......I am almost 7mos post op..........my gains have been slow.

I quit my therapy for about a month and hit a wall so back on it.

I still have catching issues etc.......and good days I walk well and bad days I favor my leg.......I am starting to get a complex around people as I fear they are tired of my limping etc........I dont limp because it hurts or weakness.......I limp because I am guarding against the pressure and catch of my patella.

I feel like people are saying .."God, when did you have surgery? You are still having issues?

My PT and surgeon said the year mark is when I should measure true recovery.

I am doing much better but gains are sooo slow...esoecially muscle which is a double edge since I need that to stabilzie my patella.

Anyway, I try to explain my bad days to people by stating that my knee feels foreign to me..........like it is a biomechanically different movement when I walk than it was.........It is just not like it was........I have to walk different, etc............

Does this seem familiar to anyone??

It is like it is no longer the leg God gave me.............which I suppose is true. Maybe it will never be the same as it was.

I just feel like I was not prepared at all for the recovery.

Can anyone advise me??

Thanks.

Offline krunzer

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 2
Re: knee is biomechanically different?
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2012, 09:31:32 PM »
I had a lateral release, medial plication on Dec 1, 2011.  I too have thought that I have a totally different knee not the same one as my other one!  I have been in PT for just over a month now and the way he explained it to me is that yes it is going to feel different as they changed the overall vector in which my kneecap contacts my leg.  I have had a 'bad' knee for 15 years so I had grown used to babying it.  I constantly think about walking 'properly' and not limping.  I can do it i just really have to concentrate.  A year is the same recovery for me.  It will come.

Offline allyd

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 34
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2012, 10:30:07 PM »
I have many times used the same description Ė foreign object. Iíve had the MPFLr w/ Lateral Lengthening. As Krunzer said, yes Ė mechanically, it is actually working differently than before. Iíll never forget my OSís point blanked response to my complaints of how it felt different and unnatural. She simply looked me dead in the eye and said ďthatís because it is.Ē  Only recently (5 months post-op) have I started feeling like it was working Ďproperlyí and was a part of me againÖ But Iíve been dealt a small set back over the past week, and Iím back to the foreign object.

Everyone heals and progresses at different rates Ė Time is the true measurement of success with these things. And yes most people donít get it. They donít see all the continual maintenance we do in private (PT, icing, rest, etc) or understand how a post surgical knee feels Ė Iíll be honest, it was a surprise for me. Itís definitely different than a post injury knee. 
04/09 RK - Dislocated Patella & Grade III MCL Tear
06/10 RK - Re-Dislocation Patella
09/11 RK - MPFLr + Lateral Lengthening

Offline lululocket

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2012, 08:44:14 PM »
I totally understand the 'alien' sensation; your knee is different, and your brain has to reprocess that.
I had craniosacral therapy which really helped with this. If you google it you'll find really conflicting information, 50% saying it will change your life, 50% saying it is a load of rubbish. Either way, it made a huge difference to me and I found a therapist I trust, so I'm going with it. The therapist lays hands on pressure points and presses the fluid around the body very gently, unblocking where the flow is different. I felt muscles in my leg and hip moving, stretching out a lot, tingling, releasing stress, getting hot. After about 3 sessions it was dramatically better, my hip/knee/ankle all seem connected to each other again, instead of feeling my knee sitting in the middle like an imposter. She even said at the time, knowing only that I'd had knee surgery, that my patella was jumping around and seemed like it was unsure where it was 'supposed' to go. That's exactly how I felt too, and as it settled, I finally now feel that the post surgery knee is the good leg, not the bad one.
2003 RK dislocation
multiple sublaxations (10+), both knees
2007 LK dislocation
03/2010 TTT on RK
03/2012 TTT on LK