Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: How to know if you have a bucket handle meniscus tear.  (Read 1001 times)

Offline angepange

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
How to know if you have a bucket handle meniscus tear.
« on: February 20, 2012, 02:56:39 AM »
So I was skiing switch almost two weeks ago and ended up catching my right leg uphill while the rest of my body continued down the slope.  I twisted my knee pretty badly but was able to ski a few more runs.  It really hurt to put any weight on my knee the first week but now doesn't hurt much unless I try to extend it.  I've read a lot about possible injuries and have started to think I may have a meniscus injury because I can't extend my knee.  If I had sustained a bucket handle tear would it hurt too much to walk on it?  I would love to get an MRI but I am a college student and currently do not have any insurance.  If it is a meniscus tear will I eventually regain mobility without surgery? 

Thanks for any info             

Offline DennisKnee

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 1
Re: How to know if you have a bucket handle meniscus tear.
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2012, 07:28:42 AM »
I'm sure the expense seems somewhat off-putting but if my experience is anything to go by, I'd find a way to get the MRI and find out exactly what has been damaged. Self diagnosis and speculation can prove quite dangerous and even more costly in the long run.

Your mechanism of injury was quite aggressive and synonymous with serious knee injury. It could be anything from a meniscus tear to an ACL deficiency - not that I'm trying to frighten you but your knees are certainly something you take for granted until they don't work properly anymore.

You can certainly regain mobility without having surgery on a meniscus tear (I did) and depending on a few factors eg where it is, how severe it is and blood flow to the area, some even heal but there can also be complications with tears.

I hope it's nothing too serious and that you're back skiing in no time  :)
Sep 10 - confirmed ACL & medial meniscus tear
Dec 11 - chronic patellar dislocation - MPFL tear
23 Feb 12 - scope, MUA & 50% medial meniscectomy
17 Apr 12 - ACLr and MPFLr

support