Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: My AF story with Dr Eakin  (Read 4877 times)

Offline cbrmedic

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 3
My AF story with Dr Eakin
« on: February 19, 2012, 10:00:36 PM »
There was a couple of people who message me about my experience with Dr eakin. So i would just like to share my experience with dr eakin. Im a very young athletic and active person and never had any knee problems what so ever. In 2005, i torn my left acl playing football with some friends. Being a full time college student and working full time, i decide to postpone my surgery. My OS told me to do some PT so i can build the muscle around my knee for stability. The knee was pretty stable for everyday life but in sports it would buckle and give out. A year or so later, i torn my meniscus on the same knee playing a basetball. My ROM wasnt great but i was still able to walk without a limp and had flexion around 130+. With the all the waiting and doc visits, i finally was able to get my ACLR with a allograft. Had pretty good ROM going into surgery. I was able to walk on the 3rd day of surgery, had full ROM in less than 2 weeks. I was fully recovery within less 6 months, my PT was really amaze how well i was able to recover so quick. I was back playing sports within 6 months with no problems what so ever.

In April 2011, i injured my right knee playing basketball. I torn my acl, bucket handle lateral mencius, strain pcl and bone contusion. My ROM was horrible, -15 extension and less than 110 of flexion. With my different insurance, i had to choose a different os. After 3 months of waiting and doc visit, i was no where close to full ROM going into surgery. I was about -10 of extension and about 115 of flexion. My bad ROM had to do a lot of with my bucket handle meniscus.  My OS said that was fine and still decide to do the surgery. I went into surgery with my leg feeling like crap and woke up feeling like crap. My leg was really swollen and really stiff aftersurgery. Since my first ACLR, i thought the 2nd time around was going to be a piece of cake and hoping to recover within 5 months. But I was really struggling getting my ROM back, i was only get to 100 degree cold and about 115 warm. As for the extension, i felt it was improving but it would never stay at a certain degree. I could get my extension where i wouldnt be limping only if i had my leg lock straight but if i bend my leg i lose my extension. I would wake up with a stiff knee everyday, i would have to walk around for few mins for the stiffness to pass. My knee would literally be stiff throughout the whole day if i didnt keep it moving.  My OS siaid everything was fine, just had to keep on doing PT. However, PT wasnt working at all, no improvment on my ROM, it was pretty useless. On the next visit with the OS, he said that i might have a something blocking my ROM and wanted to do a MUA.

Able to recover from ACLR in my left knee so quickly i became really frustrating and impatient. I decide to seek another opinion from a different OS. After reading the boards here, there is 2 Dr near my area, Dr Dye and Dr Eakin. Im originally from the bay area, so i knew palo alto quite well so i decide to see Dr Eakin. Dr Eakin exam my knee he knew right away i had AF, he spent a good 45mins to exam my knee and explaining what AF is and what my options are. Dr Eakin doesn't believe in MUA, he wanted me to do a LOA and remove certain amount of scar tissue for everyday life activity. He told me that he was pretty sure that he can get me to 120 degree of flexion and close to 0 extension. After our chat, Dr Eakin ask me who was my original OS was, i told him it was Dr. Williams Holmes. In this small world,they knew each other, they went to the same medical school in San Francisco. On the day of my surgery, my knee still felt like crap but i was feeling really good mentally. Had so much confidence and really comfortable with Dr. Eakin skills. Literally right after surgery, my knee felt better already. I was place in CPM for about 2 weeks and no weight bearing for 3 to 4 days. After the 1st post op visit with Dr Eakin PA Sean, he gave me a cortisone shot for the swelling. After 2 weeks, i had no more stiffness, about 125 of flexion and good extensions about -3 but i was able to walk without a limp. My progress been improving and the swelling is decreasing everyday.

As of today, it been about 4.5 months since my LOA surgery and 8 months since my ACLR, i have 0 extension and less than 5 degree of full flexion and little pain but very manageable, no pain meds needed. I can do any leg exercise including squats, leg pres, lunges etc and i can run about 3/4 of miles without any soreness. I was able to run 1.5 mile and maybe a little more but knee was quiet sore and i didn't want to quiet push it. As of now, the knee is feeling pretty good since my injury but im nowhere close to be fully 100% recover. My goal is able to run a 5k race and be back playing sports. My mistake dealing with AF is being to impatient about my recovery, went into as a race and put into a timetable. With AF there no timetable when your going to be 100% recover. Im taking it one day at a time and there are days the knee isn't going to feel great and feels like you made no progress. With my last visit with Dr Eakin, he was really impress with my ROM and said i was one of quickest patient to be recovering with AF so well. He wanted at least 120 flexion for me and i achieved to 135 degree of flexion. AF is really a devastating disease but it can be beaten. Dr. Eakin change my life, he a great doctor and a very passionate about helping his patents.
« Last Edit: February 29, 2012, 08:21:53 AM by cbrmedic »
Left ACLR w/meniscectomy
Right ACLR w/meniscectomy
AF
LOA

Offline missmyknee

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 23
  • From the Land of OZ
Re: My AF story with Dr Eakin
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2012, 12:23:32 AM »
Hi cbrmedic

Thank you for posting this.  ;D  It is helpful to have a current patient testimonial of Dr Eakin as an AF doctor. Did you do rehab at his facility?

I hope you continue to recover and make your goal of running a 5K race and return to sports !

Pam
4Fx Clsd red
IMrod fib plate
derotate osteotmy tibfib
AF
IPCS patbaja
DeLeeOsteotmy,LOA,LR Zplasty,bongrf,chondrplty
chondrplty,LOA,fatpad remvd
TKR
openLOA,neurectmy,ITB Zplasty,fabela
PLC recon,revison,LOA,synovec
MCL,revison LOA
openLOA,prox Zplasty
openLOA, 6 neuromas excised,synov
3 Fusions

Offline cbrmedic

• Regular Poster
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2012, 03:26:16 AM »
Im glad to be posting my experience with Dr Eakin, this board really help me a lot and i would like to return the favor.

I live about 100 miles from Dr Eakin facility but i wasnt able do my rehab at his facility, only because my insurance already cap out on my physical therapy visit. Dr eakin was fine with me doing PT on my own due to my recent experience from ACLR, he also gave me list of exercise i should be doing.  He was really focus on me getting back my quad muscle, patella mobilization, wall slides and prong hang with minor weights. 
« Last Edit: February 20, 2012, 03:31:13 AM by cbrmedic »
Left ACLR w/meniscectomy
AF
LOA

Offline memo1234

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2012, 08:17:56 PM »
Thank you very much for posting this. I have a quick question for you. Where did you do your PT?
M

Offline cbrmedic

• Regular Poster
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2012, 11:24:24 PM »
I did my PT on my own with the help from my family and friends. I usually did my PT at home and at my local gym. Dr. Eakin pretty much educated me about all the exercise i should be doing and what area to focus on. Dr. Eakin did the give me the option to see his therapist but i was really comfortable doing PT on my own.
Left ACLR w/meniscectomy
AF
LOA

Offline memo1234

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2012, 04:34:37 AM »
thanks a lot for your reply!

Offline cbrmedic

• Regular Poster
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2012, 11:31:04 PM »
For the first 2 weeks after LOA surgery i focus a lot of my PT on my extension, flexion and restoring my quad muscle. I was place on a cpm for 2 weeks for 8 hrs a day. 2 hrs on and 2hrs off. For the 2 hrs off, i did my pt 3x time a day. Before any exercise i always start with petalla mobilization and then a lot of stretching. I stretch almost everywhere on my body that can be stretch, but i did focus manily on my legs, which includes hamstrings, calves, quads, groin, hips and the IT band. I held each stretch for 10-15 sec, 6x for 3 times a day.

For flexion, i started with a stationary bike with no resistance for 10-15mins for 2 times a day. After 3 1/2 weeks i was clear to add resistance on the bike, to help regain my muscle strength back. Another exercise is wall slides, i held each stretch for 1min each, for 5-10x, 3 times a day. From my personal experience, the Low Load Prolonged Stretching helped the most for me to regain my flexion back. I flex my knee within a mild stretch with no pain and held it for 30mins. You do not want any pain on this stretch, if you have pain you want to ease up on the flexion. At first i held each stretch for 10mins, then i work my way up to 30mins. 30mins maybe a long time, but i always had my laptop and the tv to keep me occupy.

My extension exercise included, heel props, hang prone and help from friends or family to push down on the knee. For me extension was the hardest to achieved and it not going to be painless, you will feel discomfort. For heel props, i lock my leg straight and rest my ankle on towel on a coffee table, always have my feet pointing straight up. Held each stretch for 10mins 3x for 3 times a day. Then i would gradually place ankle weights on the knee, started with 2.5lb, 5lb, and then 10lbs. For hang prone, lie face down on a table or bed with the leg hanging off the edge  and let your leg sag down. Hold for 10min for 3x time a day. Then i gradually place weights on my ankles, with 2.5lb, 5lb, and then 10lbs. This is probably the most effect extension but the most discomfort exercise, lie on ground or table then place a towel on your ankle and have a friend or family member push down on your knee. Try to hold each stretch for 1-2mins, for 5x, 2 times a day.

After regaining my ROM, i had to focus on my quad muscles. Without any weight training i focus on single leg raise. Lock your leg straight and raise your about 12 inches off the ground and hold for 10 sec, for 30x, 3 times a day. Another exercise i did was a ball squeeze, i would sit on a chair and use either a small rubber ball or even and pillow and then squeeze the ball or pillow with legs and hold for 10 secs, 30x for 3x times a day. On the 4th week, i was clear for weight training, i work out on the leg press, squats, lunges with weights, and the stair master.

I also stretch afterwards, after all the PT and exercise you body can be sore with all the muscle contractions. Stretching afterwards will not stop your body being sore but it less likely to have your muscle stiffen up. If it done right, stretching can feel good and increase flexibility. 
« Last Edit: February 29, 2012, 08:17:46 AM by cbrmedic »
Left ACLR w/meniscectomy
AF
LOA

Offline cbrmedic

• Regular Poster
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2012, 05:33:37 AM »
5.5 Month Update since LOA sugery and 10 Months from ACLR surgery

The knee is feeling pretty good , majority of the swelling is gone with no pain med need. I have not needed any pain meds since the first month of LOA surgery. Only meds im taking is ibuprofen, only from to reliever muscle soreness from working out. Knee has little bit of heat from PT and working out. But no heats when just lounging around the house. Still icing the knee for 2-3 times a day.  As of now im not getting anymore treatment with Dr Eakin. My ROM is 0 extension and few degree close to full flexion. Can do any leg exericse with no restriction, cycle as long i want with no pain, able to ran 2 miles with no pain.

Was able to take out the mountain bike and ride a light trail terrain with no pain. Play a friendly half court game of basketball with the neighborhood kids and my knee didnt give me any problems, just a little soreness from my hamstrings. I'm nowhere near baseketball game shape, but with more training i believe i can get back into shape. If i had to give a number on my progress, im only at 60% recover, that because im a active athlete, have not regain my agility, footwork, and speed back.  But if i was just a average joe, with regular 9-5 job and casual active life, i would be close to 90%. Still taking it one day at a time, i know i have long way from full recovery
« Last Edit: March 21, 2012, 05:35:11 AM by cbrmedic »
Left ACLR w/meniscectomy
AF
LOA

Offline captainruss

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 9
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2012, 06:15:04 AM »
CBR,

Just in case you get bored with that surgically repaired leg.....what is your inseam??  If you are willing to donate that leg i am in the market!!  LMAO!!  I ask anyone I meet....haven't actually had anyone agree to donate a leg to me yet...but I am still positively motivated about asking!

Congrats on the recovery and make sure you keep that leg tanned just in case you change your mind.  I live in Florida and my good leg is very tan!!

Russ
80 Shattered patella 5 surg
09  TKR 
09  MUA
09  MUA
09  Knee infected??
10  TKR  Scar Tissue
10  2nd OS  Diagnosis Infection
10  TKR with antibiotic spacer, no joint
4/11  TKR
11  TKR PT
11  TKR
11  TKR  AF diagosis
12/11  HO diagnosed
2012  Intractable Pain
2012  OS split
amputation possible?

Offline cbrmedic

• Regular Poster
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2012, 07:58:28 PM »
10 months update from LOA Surgery

The knee is doing really good, haven't expeirences any problems at the moment. I have no swelling, pain, or any hotness of the knee. I still do ice regularly, majority after every PT.  My ROM is still great, as before i would do 3-4x a day on ROM exerices but not as much anymore maybe at least once a day. It probably not need but im also looking to improve my ROM. At the moment, im currently focus on my strengths, flexibility, agility, and endurance. The only set back  so far is that i develop shin splints on my opposite leg. Ive been doing a lot of cardio training from running and cones lateral training which cause my shin splints. With shin splints, i had to reduce my cardio training to cycling and occasion water training. The shins splinits has been a pain, it can takes up to weeks to months to fully heal. My mistakes is that i started training back to early, i only rested my leg for about week and cause my shins splints to come back. Before my shin splints, i was planning to play my first full court game of basketball since my injury to see how my knee will hold up.

Besides the shin splints, my knee is doing great. I'm not anywhere close where i want my knee to be but i believe that i can get it back to normal as before. When i mean normal, is physically active beside that i can pretty much do everything else a normal person can do.  Im determine to beat AF and get my health back. I've told couple people that i would post pictures from my ACL surgery and LOA surgery, it not the best of quality since i took it with my cell phone.

The first pictures are scan from my ACL surgery and the 2nd pictures is from my LOA surgery.

Left ACLR w/meniscectomy
AF
LOA