Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Post op day 3  (Read 540 times)

Offline Jbriss

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Post op day 3
« on: February 18, 2012, 10:30:48 PM »
I know I shouldn't expect to be back to normal by now, but should I feel worse? Had scar tissue and apparently chondroplasty done on my right knee in Thursday. Dr said get up as much as possible. I was allowed to take off ace and gauze today. I am so stiff and so uncomfortable. Seems to be worse today which is frustrating because I am back to work Tuesday. My chauffeur(my mom) leaves me Monday. And my kids are on vacation from school this week. Aside from walking to stretch out and elevation to reduce swelling, what should I be doing. This hobbling around is making my other leg so tired.

Offline Lottiefox

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 16
Re: Post op day 3
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2012, 10:01:09 AM »
Errrrrr......you had surgery 2 days ago.......you'll have swelling, pain, stiffness.......elevate, ice (not on the skin and not for more than 20 mins in an hour), rest if needed......doctors are so blase about scopes. You've still had someone in your knee joint, shaving away cartilage and washing it out before sticking the holes together. Swelling usually comes out a few days after the op, hence the need to elevate if you can and whilst you should try and be active you do have to listen to your body. Take some NSAIDs if you can tolerate them, be kind to yourself a little...

Bilateral patella OA since 2009, no surgeries.
Euflexxa working well x3 to current
Right forefoot CRPS post fusion surgery 2011
Refusing to let the ailing parts stop me....

Offline captainruss

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 9
Re: Post op day 3
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2012, 12:14:39 PM »
Jbriss,

Ice, Ice, and more ice.  If you can use crutches and limit weight bearing if it is painful.  The smartest person in the room about knee condition is your knee.  If you are having pain, tell them you have more pain than you are comfortable with.  Do not just "get through it" or when the "days are tough...the tough get going."  Horse cookies to that! 

If your knee hurts...something is amiss.  It may only be you need to take it easy for a day or two more.  If you are supposed to go back to work and it still feels this way...tell them no....tell them heck no!  Your OS will support you and listen to you or you need to shop for another OS

Good luck.

Russ
80 Shattered patella 5 surg
09  TKR 
09  MUA
09  MUA
09  Knee infected??
10  TKR  Scar Tissue
10  2nd OS  Diagnosis Infection
10  TKR with antibiotic spacer, no joint
4/11  TKR
11  TKR PT