Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Knee extension problem(post ACL surgery)  (Read 1321 times)

Offline adi84_g

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 1
Knee extension problem(post ACL surgery)
« on: February 18, 2012, 11:05:48 AM »
Hy,

I'm in the 18th week post ACL surgery, hammstring graft and I'm still experiencing extension problems.
I've exercised extension since day 1, passive and active too, but haven't got it right yet.
After a few stretches I have full extension but it doesn't last, after aprox 15 min in flexed possition full extension dissapeares.

Yesterday I stood in passive extension almost 4 hours but this morning when I woke up, again the same problem, lack a few degrees.

What should I do?

P.S.Excuse my bad English.

Offline adi84_g

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
Re: Knee extension problem(post ACL surgery)
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2012, 02:23:06 PM »
I forgot to mention that I experience pain in the back of the knee and sometimes in the hammstring muscles (biceps femoris) when I extenden the knee.

Offline emergRN

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 5
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2012, 04:40:18 PM »
I would suggest that you speak to your physiotherapist or OS regarding this.  I think the most important thing is that you can achieve full extension, and it does not sound like you have a block.  If you can get to your full extension with stretching, that is a good thing.  The pain in the back of your knee could be from where they harvested your hamstring graft, and will need to be stretched regularly.  You may want to get that checked out to ensure that there isn't anything else going on.

18 weeks is not that long into an ACLr rehab.  It will take you an entire year for your knee to feel right again.  I am 14 weeks post ACL revision, and I also have problems going from a flexed position to an extended one, and I am stiff going from extension to a flexed position.

I think it would be wise to schedule a visit with a PT.  They can measure your active/passive extension and flexion, and advise you as to whether or not you should be concerned.  A PT could also suggest some good exercises/stretches that are graft safe.

I hope all works out well for you.

W
Rt.knee scope-1990-91Dx with Partial ACL tear
Rt. ACLr with hamstring graft-2010
Rt. knee scope- partial lateral menisectomy and plica excision 2010
ACL revision quad tendon graft- 2011 
Rt. Knee partial lateral menisectomy, debridement 2012
Rt. knee partial lateral menisectiomy, debridement 2014

Offline adi84_g

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2012, 08:17:04 AM »
Thank you very much for your answer.

I am really concerned and frustrated about this problem.Everything I achive during the day I loose during night, or by staying in flexed position.

Next Monday I'm scheduled for exam at my OS and PT.

Best wishes for you too.

support