Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: First knee injury, very new to this, need advice please  (Read 740 times)

Offline Kirst

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
First knee injury, very new to this, need advice please
« on: February 16, 2012, 09:49:23 PM »
Hi all, i dislocated my knee about a week and a half ago, i had to lie on a cold floor for 3 hours waiting for an ambulance, it was extremely painful and i could not move my leg, once the paramedics arrived they could not give me morphine as my blood pressure was to low and i wouldve slipped into a coma apparently, it was a nightmare experience not to mention i immigrated here recently and was meant to start my new job a day after it happened and had moved into my new home that very day (i never even slept there once as that night i spent in hospital) anyway i eventually got to the hospital and the doctor put my knee 'back in place' I was not given any details on the severity of the damage, i have only had xrays and have no broken bones thankfully  but my mri scan is booked for next week and im hoping to not have any further damage. I did put a post up previously requesting any info if i could fly, that is why i am hoping there is no more damage.
I am terrified to get DVT.
I was in a half cast however it has been removed and i am now in a brace on crutches, i put ice on my knee repeatedly as well as i am on pain tabs, however i get funny sensations (feels like bubbles best description i can think of) in my knee and leg at times? And my knee heats up and feels like its on fire sometimes, is that normal?
As well should i be doing any excercises in the mean time to strengthen my knee or should i wait for the scan?

I can not completely straighten my leg nor bend it completely, it hurts on the sides of my knee and under the knee cap expecially, the swelling is still there but not as bad as it was i think the ice is helping.

Any advice whatsoever is greatly accepted and appreciated.

Thanks a million  :)

Offline LindaM

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 8
Re: First knee injury, very new to this, need advice please
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2012, 10:07:05 PM »
You poor dear,
What a way to start things out!  I have not had your injury, but I have had several knee surgeries.  DVT is scary, but you will know if it shows up.  When a clot forms you will feel a very warm area (most likely in the calf) that will have throbbing pain that feels better when your legs are elevated and is worse when they are down.  You will feel like you were hit by a hammer in the leg when you get out of bed.  incidentally, keeping moving will help prevent clots which is why I was up walking a few hours after my surgeries.

If I were you I would wait on the exercise until you know the extent of the damage or are instructed by a PT.  The heat in the knee goes along with the swelling.  Your body is sending more blood flow to try to fix itself.  Also, check if the funny feeling is about 1/2 to 1 hour after your meds.  They sometimes cause funny feelings like heat, itching etc.

Best of luck.

Linda
>20 yrs. osteo and inflammatory arthritis, fibromyalgia
meniscus repair Sept. 2009
right PKR June 2010
left PKR Feb. 2012

Offline lisa424

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2012, 06:57:36 AM »
Maybe you can take a blood thinner or aspirin if you're really immobile. You probably don't wanna do real exercise right now, but maybe you can just keep your ankles/feet moving by rotating and flexing them.

Offline Kirst

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2012, 11:04:35 AM »
Thanks guys, it is much appreciated  :)

Hoping my mri scan shows no serious damage!!! My brother n his wife are having their first baby very soon (first baby in the family) and i am so wanting to go meet the little guy but it means a long international flight!! So I am hoping that the scan says all is ok and that i can fly!!! But will only find out next week, waiting is terrible!!

The mental part of this is horrible, losing all i worked so hard for (immigrating, that job, the new place) has been so disheartening, and to start from scratch again is daunting.  Im just taking it one day at a time now.

Thanks for your help  :)

Offline Ladymayin

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2012, 09:10:36 PM »
I feel your stress!! Aspirin 81 mg (low dose) should help prevent DVT, but ask doc first. If you need surgery, aspirin will be held for a few days to prevent bleeding. Meanwhile, ice,ice,ice and more ice. Keep the swelling down.
 Good luck with MRI. Hope all is good news.
 Take a deep breath, drink camomille tea for relaxation.
Marion

Offline Kirst

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2012, 09:49:25 PM »
Ok perfect will do!!  Thank you and will give feedback on my mri as soon i know, actually can not wait to know what is going on inside my knee, ligaments and all! Hoping good news!!  :) drinking lots of tea now!