Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Scope done today...  (Read 615 times)

Offline Jbriss

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Scope done today...
« on: February 16, 2012, 09:29:22 PM »
And he found a lot of scar tissue built up and frayed cartilage. He shaved cartilage and excised scar tissue. I'm hoping that resolves the pain issues in the long term. Right now I'm taking my vicodin and it is taking edge off pain but it isn't totally gone. Icing every 20 minutes and elevating. He wants me to move it as much as I can, but gave me crutches even though he wants me full weight bearing. It does hurt and it's very stiff. Havent hear how long I can't drive for. Anyone have and experience with this type of fix?

Offline Vickster

• Administrator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 360
  • Neelie knee!
Re: Scope done today...
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2012, 10:00:58 PM »
When you say cartilage - do you mean meniscus or articular cartilage?  I had both tidied during my first scope - I used crutches for a week and then on and off for a further 2 or 3 weeks as advised by the OS (a conservative fellow).  Second time was just a tidy up of the articular stuff, no crutches apart from to get from hospital room to car.  I was off work 3 weeks both times (they are quite generous here in the UK with sick leave).  First time no driving for 3 weeks (even though left leg and an automatic car) , second time probably 7-10 days as the weather was horrible here.

It will be really sore for a few days, just try not to move around more than you have to.  As soon as you can, start doing the physio exercises like SLRs, heel slides and especially ankle pumps.  I was never much of an icer - 15 minutes a few times a day after the exercises for a couple of days.  Be careful not to overdo it and always protect the skin with a cloth

Good luck and take it easy  :)
Came off bike onto concrete 9/9/09
LK arthroscopy 8/2/10
2nd scope on 16/12/10
RK arthroscopy on 5/2/15
Lateral meniscus trim, excision of hoffa's fat pad, chondral stabilisation
LK scope 10.1.19 medial menisectomy, trochlea microfracture, general tidy up

Offline Jbriss

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2012, 10:30:18 PM »
Thanks for responding.It was articular I believe. On the nurses paperwork post op it said chondroplasty. And he told my mom it wasn't meniscus. I'm optimistic pain isn't going to get worse as it isn't unbearable now. Annoying thing right now is the darn staples hurt. Oh well, small price to pay. I go back to work Tuesday I believe. Trying to find out how long I can't drive for.

Offline Vickster

• Administrator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Neelie knee!
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2012, 10:36:44 PM »
Yep, am a veteran of two chondroplasties.  Staples, for scope holes, really?!  Ouch.  I had stitches both times, but sometimes they just use steristrips here I believe

If you're a youngster (it sounds so), you should heal and bounce back fast.  Do you know how the damage has occurred, frayed cartilage is usually due to some sort of malalignment, trauma or age-related wear and tear

Take it easy and keep those wounds dry :)
LK arthroscopy 8/2/10
2nd scope on 16/12/10
RK arthroscopy on 5/2/15

Offline Jbriss

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2012, 11:07:15 PM »
I injured it trying to save myself from falling, planted foot and partially tore ACL. Happened in July. 1st ortho braced me and sent me to PT, then dismissed me saying he didn't know why pain continued and said he couldn't help me. after months of weakness and instability, and continued pain I found this ortho who was willing to work with me to get to source of pain. Hope this fix helps.

Offline Vickster

• Administrator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Neelie knee!
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2012, 11:10:58 PM »
Cool.  So did the ACL look ok in the surgery?
LK arthroscopy 8/2/10
2nd scope on 16/12/10
RK arthroscopy on 5/2/15

Offline Jbriss

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2012, 11:35:43 PM »
Still partially torn but he said it felt good, no weakness in whole fibers.