Banner - Hide this banner





Author Topic: Should I go ahead with cortisone shot?  (Read 2071 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline Ladymayin

  • MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • *
  • Posts: 15
  • Liked: 0
Should I go ahead with cortisone shot?
« on: February 16, 2012, 01:46:25 PM »
Doctor recommened cortisone shot to right hip due to inflammation and pain for almost a year. Pain started after miniscus tear repair to left knee. Recent xrays and MRI show severe degenerative arthritis (bone on bone) to left knee and I am headed for total knee replacement in the future. Meanwhile, right hip is now showing arthritic changes but not bone on bone yet. Doc says hip will need replacement also. So... does anyone have opionion on getting the cortisone to hip? Will it accelerate degeneration? AND: any advice on slowing down this arthritis would be appreciated. Not looking forward to any surgery, at all. Currently taking Mobic 7 mg. twice a day with some pain relief. Wearing a hinged brace on left knee, which causes some swelling of lower leg but gives lots of support.
      Thanks to all who can share experience with these issues. I am 62 years old and always been very active. Last year I was hiking mountain trails daily with my dog. Hiked about 3 miles a day. Not being active has taken a toll on me. I'm not ready to let this disease take over my life.
        Suggestions for prevention, exercize, supplements, or anything else please.  :)
Marion

Offline Kimberly 77

  • Forum Faithful
  • ****
  • Posts: 296
  • Liked: 1
Re: Should I go ahead with cortisone shot?
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2012, 03:42:05 PM »
Osteo Bi-flex Is a good supplement you can take, buy it in any department store in the vitamin section. As far as exercise just make sure you keep moving, the more you move the better your joints will lubricate themselves. Inactivity can lead to extension and flexion issues and weak muscles. Do quad sets for your knee.(rolled up towel behind knee press it down and hold for atleast 10 sec. ) I am not experienced with hips. As for the shot, I have had 2 cortizone shots in my knee and they did not do a thing for me. Lots of people do get relief from them or they wouldn't offer it, but I was the opposite. I had more pain and swelling for a long time after the shots. I will never get one again! On the other hand my husbands mother has a very bad hip and when she got hers she was feeling much better, walking with less of a limp and everything. It didn't last long for her though. My brother gets them in his shoulder and he said it helps. I guess it just depends on how your body reacts to it and how bad the damage is.
Right leg amputee.
Osteoarthritis in left knee.
Medial femoral condyle defect, arthoscopy 8-2-10
Grade 3 defects, patella, medial femoral condyle, tibia scoped1-12-2011
Physical theraphy and awaiting microfrature 2-1-12

Offline Ladymayin

  • MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • *
  • Posts: 15
  • Liked: 0
Re: Should I go ahead with cortisone shot?
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2012, 04:05:36 PM »
Thanks Kimberly, I will add that exercise to my routine. Had cortisone to knee 3 months after miniscus repair with relief. I was just concerned about cortisone side effects. I heard it accelerates cartilege destruction. Don't know if that's true.
   I already take glucosamine/MSM. I will add chondroitin. Also take MK-7 ( vitamin K-2) , Mag. glyconate to encourage calcium to enter my bones and not my blood vessels.
   Thanks for your response and hope you feel well.
Marion

Offline Vickster

  • Administrator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • *****
  • *
  • *
  • Posts: 4844
  • Liked: 404
  • Neelie knee!
Re: Should I go ahead with cortisone shot?
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2012, 04:39:19 PM »
I has cortison straight into my tendon for tennis elbow a month ago and it has worked very well for the inflammation.  I also had Durolane (a type of hyaluronic acid like Synvisc among others) into my knee during my second scope and it also seemed effective for healing and helping worn cartilage

Normally, HA is for lubricating an arthritic joint and steroid for inflamed soft tissue 

I would perhaps try the HA first if concerned about the steroid (which can have some unpleasant adverse effects on the skin and in the tissues).  Not the cheapest stuff, but certainly ask your OS

Low impact exercise like cycling is also good for keeping cranky joints moving

Good luck :)
Came off bike onto concrete 9/9/09
LK arthroscopy 8/2/10
2nd scope on 16/12/10
RK arthroscopy on 5/2/15
Lateral meniscus trim, excision of hoffa's fat pad, chondral stabilisation
LK scope 10.1.19 medial menisectomy, trochlea microfracture, general tidy up

Offline Ladymayin

  • MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • *
  • Posts: 15
  • Liked: 0
Re: Should I go ahead with cortisone shot?
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2012, 06:20:55 PM »
Thanks. I will get on my bike right now. Was thinking of purchasing nordic walking poles. Has anyone used them? Which brand would be best. There are a few on Amazon that look good. I love to be outdoors, but right now can't tolerate too much distance.I thought the poles would help??
Marion

Offline LindaM

  • Forum Faithful
  • ****
  • Posts: 488
  • Liked: 8
Re: Should I go ahead with cortisone shot?
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2012, 09:51:06 PM »
Hi there.  Been there done that.  I am also 62, had the meniscus repair,brace, $1000 dollar shot, bone-on-bone, and right partial knee replacement in 2010.  I am currently recuperating from my second PKR.  This past October I started having pain, by December I was bone-on-bone with the left knee.  My rheumatologist tried 2 cortisone shots in November and December and I got about a week of relief from each one.  Once you are bone-on-bone there isn't much else to fix things except a replacement.

On the other hand, if the joint isn't too badly damaged, the cortisone to the hip might be worth trying.  I have had them successfully in my knee years ago, in my ankle, in my thumb, and in various bursae and tendons over the years with long term relief.  A shot to the hip is a trickier deal than to the knee since the placement is more difficult, but each day of limping is taking its toll too.  When you limp and your gait is thrown off you put extra stress on your other joints. 

I think the PKRs I have had are fantastic.  Each one I walked out of the hospital the following day with so much less pain than I went in with(and it wasn't the drugs).  I hope for your sake that you won't have to wait too long for your surgery and that you have as much success as I have. 

Linda
>20 yrs. osteo and inflammatory arthritis, fibromyalgia
meniscus repair Sept. 2009
right PKR June 2010
left PKR Feb. 2012

Offline Kimberly 77

  • Forum Faithful
  • ****
  • Posts: 296
  • Liked: 1
Re: Should I go ahead with cortisone shot?
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2012, 08:52:53 PM »
I have read somewhere that repeated cortizone injections can damage the cartilage and tissue more. Steriods can dry out the cartilage. This is why they will only give you a shot every 3 months I believe and no more than 4 per year.
Right leg amputee.
Osteoarthritis in left knee.
Medial femoral condyle defect, arthoscopy 8-2-10
Grade 3 defects, patella, medial femoral condyle, tibia scoped1-12-2011
Physical theraphy and awaiting microfrature 2-1-12

Offline Ladymayin

  • MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • *
  • Posts: 15
  • Liked: 0
Re: Should I go ahead with cortisone shot?
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2012, 09:03:44 PM »
Everyone is soooo helpful. Thanks. I currently see a D.O. (osteopath) and Orthopedic surgeon. I see some people see a rheumatologist. Does anyone think I should add one to my list? I would like to get this arthritis under control. Can a rheumatologist add a lot more expertise?
Marion

Offline LindaM

  • Forum Faithful
  • ****
  • Posts: 488
  • Liked: 8
Re: Should I go ahead with cortisone shot?
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2012, 01:58:42 AM »
Absolutely find a rheumatologist!  While your D.O. knows about arthritis, it is not his specialty.  The in-depth knowledge a rheumatologist has can help you manage your arthritis much more effectively.  I have worked with my rheumatologist over 20 years.  I have both osteo and inflammatory arthritis as well as fibromyalgia.  When the arthritis started, it was so bad that I was nauseated with pain by the end of the work day.  I was afraid I would have to quit teaching.  My rheumatologist got me on the proper medications and I have had all this time with very little damage and minimal pain.  Sure I have flares, but even then the pain is manageable.  With his supervision I also have gotten the physical therapy I have needed when my hands needed attention and keeps track of my blood work so that my medications are at safe levels.  I am quite sure that if I hadn't had his help I would have much more severe joint damage and had my two PKRs much sooner.

Linda
>20 yrs. osteo and inflammatory arthritis, fibromyalgia
meniscus repair Sept. 2009
right PKR June 2010
left PKR Feb. 2012

Offline joanfan123

  • Regular Poster
  • ***
  • Posts: 118
  • Liked: 0
Re: Should I go ahead with cortisone shot?
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2012, 02:16:16 AM »
I had one on my knee and it was great. I had been on crutches for 6 weeks due to inability to straiten my knee and no one knew exactly what was wrong. Within 5 minutes of the shot my knee was straiten more than it had been in months prior. Within a few days I was off crutches. But the pain started to come back within two weeks, and by 4 weeks it was almost completely back, and a 6 weeks I had a scope. Being on crutches for a total time of 3 months I don't know if I could have survived without that respite. Although it is not a song term solution cortisone was amazing for me.
May '10- PT LK
June '11- PT LK
October '11- Cortisone LK
11/8/11- Arthroscope Fat Pad trimmed LK

Offline Ladymayin

  • MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • *
  • Posts: 15
  • Liked: 0
Re: Should I go ahead with cortisone shot?
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2012, 09:26:03 PM »
Plan on going ahead with cortisone to hip to relieve the inflammation. I'll continue to wear brace on knee, take Mobic, continue exercise and decide on knee replacement sometime this year.
  Cortosone to hip is scheduled for this coming Tuesday morning. Wish me luck.
Marion

Offline joanfan123

  • Regular Poster
  • ***
  • Posts: 118
  • Liked: 0
Re: Should I go ahead with cortisone shot?
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2012, 09:28:28 PM »
Good Luck, I hope it Helps:)
May '10- PT LK
June '11- PT LK
October '11- Cortisone LK
11/8/11- Arthroscope Fat Pad trimmed LK

Offline captainruss

  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • *****
  • Posts: 675
  • Liked: 9
Re: Should I go ahead with cortisone shot?
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2012, 06:21:09 AM »
Cortisone is a steroid with very little side effects.  If you are having pain, you should not exercise until seeing a PT specialist.  It is so easy to inflame the area in question.  There is excellent information in so many places of this web site.  The best advice I can give is educate yourself as much as possible.  There are blogs and threads here on just about any possible subject.  At 62, are you still working?  Surgery should always be a last resort and definitely get multiple opinions.  Cortisone works so well for some people and absolutely no effect on others.

Everything is connected.  If you have knee problems, your hips and eventually your back will be effected.  My knee problems have greatly effected my back and my shoulders.  I have been using a walker so often that my shoulders are very painful.  I had both rotator cuffs worked on and still have trouble. 

Having surgery is not always the solution.  Many times surgery can be avoided with quality Physical Therapy.  Surgery brings with it the chance for infection and complications.  My problem is not the surgery, but the AF that is awful.

Good luck on Tuesday.

Russ
80 Shattered patella 5 surg
09  TKR 
09  MUA
09  MUA
09  Knee infected??
10  TKR  Scar Tissue
10  2nd OS  Diagnosis Infection
10  TKR with antibiotic spacer, no joint
4/11  TKR
11  TKR PT
11  TKR
11  TKR  AF diagosis
12/11  HO diagnosed
2012  Intractable Pain
2012  OS split
amputation possible?

Offline LindaM

  • Forum Faithful
  • ****
  • Posts: 488
  • Liked: 8
Re: Should I go ahead with cortisone shot?
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2012, 10:25:10 PM »
Good luck on Tuesday.  When you see the doctor be sure to ask if he wants you to stay off it for a while to keep the cortisone in the joint for a day or so.  My rheumatologist normally wants me to stay off my feet as much as possible for a day after.

Linda
>20 yrs. osteo and inflammatory arthritis, fibromyalgia
meniscus repair Sept. 2009
right PKR June 2010
left PKR Feb. 2012

Offline Ladymayin

  • MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • *
  • Posts: 15
  • Liked: 0
Re: Should I go ahead with cortisone shot?
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2012, 06:59:32 PM »
Ok, so cortisone injected yesterday. Doc said I could return to "normal" activity immediately!! I didn't believe him. Just went home and took it easy for rest of the day.

   This morning, I rode stationary bike for 15 minutes(that's my usual), then followed with knee routine given to me by P.T.  I do feel a difference in pain level to hip. It has gone from #6 down to #3.  I'm impressed. Was easier to put my socks on too (haha).

     Plan: continue bike and exercise, continue Mobic and supplements and will add Hyalurnic acid 100 mg daily as soon as Amazon sends it.

    Thanks to all for your help. Keep in touch. :)
Marion















support