Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Am I being paranoid?  (Read 531 times)

Offline mancunianjob

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Am I being paranoid?
« on: February 16, 2012, 01:19:49 PM »
Hi,
I'm 11 days post an ACL reconstruction and lateral Meniscus repair. I'm pretty much on track with extension and flexion and am walking with one crutch, occasionally a few steps with no crutches. This morning I was walking with one crutch ensuring I would straighten and lock my leg back with every step. On this occasion though my knee locked back and then kind of buckled forward again throwing me off balance slightly. No pain or popping sounds. My concern is, should there be any buckling with a newly screwed in hamstring graft? Are the screws still in place?! Or am I worrying over nothing here? I didn't expect any buckling post op. Or is this common as the graft is still weak?

Offline 2020

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Re: Am I being paranoid?
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2012, 02:46:37 PM »
I couldn't walk unassisted for a month after my acl/meniscus.  It may be arthrogenic quadricep inhibition.

Offline Lottiefox

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 16
Re: Am I being paranoid?
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2012, 06:30:20 PM »
Although you have a newly "screwed in graft" it will take several weeks to properly vascularize and heal. Muscle weakness and/or inhibition can easily cause buckling, use the crutches if you feel you need some extra support rather than do yourself more damage. Many on here are using crutches for a while after ACLr. You should have a proper ACLr rehab protocol that gradually increases your exercises and PT regime so that you're not stressing the graft too early on in your healing. Although this is a commonly done and highly successful surgery it is still significant in terms of its healing demands. Great work on the flexion and extension, don't try and rush too soon. You're doing great from the sound of things.

Lottie
Bilateral patella OA since 2009, no surgeries.
Euflexxa working well x3 to current
Right forefoot CRPS post fusion surgery 2011
Refusing to let the ailing parts stop me....

support