Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Please - Need help on MRI and X-Ray -- Very anxious  (Read 6167 times)

Offline freddieb79

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Please - Need help on MRI and X-Ray -- Very anxious
« on: August 16, 2012, 05:06:59 PM »
So I tore my ACL and will be getting it fixed as soon as I can get some time off to do it and my surgeon is available.  Anyway..., so I got access to my test results and although I was told only about a small meniscus tear, there was something else I noticed that I can't tell whether or not is troubling because my surgeon did not mention it.  (I can't talk with him for another couple of weeks).  Can anyone give their non-professional opinion.  I am a guy in my 30s. 

The x-rays write-up says the following:  After saying that the joints were well-maintained, it says this...

"slight spurring of the tibial spines"

The MRI says this:

"articular cartilage is mildly thinned over the medial facet of the patella"

Am I already showing the early stages of osteoarthritis?

Offline silverghost

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 1
Re: Please - Need help on MRI and X-Ray -- Very anxious
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2012, 05:41:03 PM »
Hi Freddie

You do really need to ask your consultant this question really as MRI's can be misread or misinterpreted.

I was diagnosed with Grade 4 OA and was advised that this in turn led to bone spurs which became quite extensive.  Your consultant will then discuss options with you in either management of your knee for future or any surgery that you may be able to have to smooth the spurs and do any repair jobs. 

The meniscal tear will hopefully be repaired during an arthroscopy, should be a day procedure, and they may do some work in your knee at the same time.  I know I had things smoothed out and bits of cartilage removed.... 

The question is really at what stage your knee is in with any articular cartilage thinning and if you can live with this i.e pain levels..  Im sure your OS will advise you accordingly.  Gud luck with your surgery..
'96 ACL reconstruction
'09 Arthroscopy/cartilage repair
Diagnosed with Grade 4 OA no medial cartilage and significant varus alignment
'11 fitted with off loading knee brace
'12 HTO, meniscus transplant, acl reconstruction & microfracture all in 1 go!

Offline freddieb79

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2012, 05:47:06 PM »
Thanks.  I don't really have much pain at the moment.  I am more getting freaked out about the future. 

Offline freddieb79

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2012, 08:22:18 PM »
Basically, does "mild tibial spurring" mean osteoarthritis or could it just be a response to the ACL and related injuries?

Offline silverghost

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2012, 09:39:54 PM »
Hi

Im not an expert on OA but as far as I am aware something happens either an injury or an op or just old age and within the joint OA occurs gradually at first but can be accelerated depending on your lifestyle. Fluid and blood circulation is needed to stimulate healthy growth of the cartilage and bone.  If the circulation fails due to any arthritis then the bone starts wearing and then the cartilage as the tibia and fibia move closer together and create pressure within the joint. Something like that anyhow..

Bone spurs are formed where there is no protection within the joint.. in other words if there is nothing stopping the bone growing out,such as  cartilage, it will just go a bit mad..

In my case the OA was a response to the original ACL op i had years ago and then spurs developed.  Mild spurring is difficult to read into but your GP and consultant will need to look at the amount of protection you have within the joint still and decide where to go from there.  If you have cartilage wear then microfracture surgery maybe considered.

As it says mild i dont think you need to get too worried at the moment but definately check out your options
'96 ACL reconstruction
'09 Arthroscopy/cartilage repair
Diagnosed with Grade 4 OA no medial cartilage and significant varus alignment
'11 fitted with off loading knee brace
'12 HTO, meniscus transplant, acl reconstruction & microfracture all in 1 go!

Offline aclsurprise82

• Regular Poster
    • ACL Surgery Recovery Bog
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2012, 01:53:00 AM »
I think this is pretty common especially if the ACL tear is a little old like mine is. 
ACL Tear probably March 2010.  Brief intense pain, but feel fine the next day.

3-4 giving way incidents over 2+ yrs

June 2012:  Diagnosed with torn ACL tear w/small tear of med. meniscus. 

Oct. 22, 2012:  Auto hamstring ACLr w/ med. meniscus repair

Blog: http://aclsurprise82.blogspot.com