Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: arthroscopy so expensive in UK help!  (Read 3439 times)

Offline spamula

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
arthroscopy so expensive in UK help!
« on: February 15, 2012, 09:11:50 PM »
I need an arthroscopy asap, if I got to the EU cost is 1350, UK price between 2800 and 5500! Help I'd rather stay in UK, ideas?

NHS waiting list is 6 months I can barely walk been going on for weeks, suspected torn meniscus.

Offline Vickster

• Administrator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 368
  • Neelie knee!
Re: arthroscopy so expensive in UK help!
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2012, 09:20:42 PM »
Unfortunately, 3k sounds about right.  I saw the bills for my two from the insurance company, once you add up hospital fees, surgeon and anaesthetist.  Plus I assume you'll need to pay for follow up and physio on top.

Maybe get on the NHS waiting list and then push to go on the cancellation list if you can be flexible.  Are you doing physio already?  Has the tear been seen on MRI or clinical examination/symptoms?

I wouldn't want surgery overseas either in case of issues

Good luck :)
Came off bike onto concrete 9/9/09
LK arthroscopy 8/2/10
2nd scope on 16/12/10
RK arthroscopy on 5/2/15
Lateral meniscus trim, excision of hoffa's fat pad, chondral stabilisation
LK scope 10.1.19 medial menisectomy, trochlea microfracture, general tidy up

Offline spamula

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2012, 09:36:31 PM »
I have had it done in Norway on my left no problems. Not worried about going back but don't fancy the travel this time.

Physio? I can hardly bed it still, feel ill sick all the time. Struggling in work limping, insane lol. I wouldn't mnind but I went in September 2011 asking for urgent scan only now on waiting list, beyond.

Offline WonkeyDonkey

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 12
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2012, 09:41:26 PM »
Hi Spamula

3.3k is about right, this is what I paid. You also have to pay about 50 per half hour physio session plus follow up appointments at approx 75. Although I went privately, I then phased back into the NHS for a further op that was needed. If you are on the NHS waiting list, you can op to be put on for a cancellation. You would not get a lot of notice for a cancellation, but sometimes it is worth it. I was given 9 days notice to have my op, as this was a cancellation however when going privately you can chose when you go in. If you have it done in UK at least you get your physio as well.

I would second what Vickster said, I would not have wanted to go abroad for surgery, we have brilliant surgeons over here.

You have my sympathy if you have a torn meniscus. Been there, done that one. Please bear in mind that even after having the arthroscopy, it may not solve all your issues. I had one in March 2011 and then needed another op, which I had in November 2011. Could you get a knee brace to help. Make sure you keep on top of the pain with pain relief, and ice it your knee as well.

Good luck and let us know what you are going to do.

WD

Offline Vickster

• Administrator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Neelie knee!
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2012, 09:42:54 PM »
Why not pay for an MRI, although it sounds like you know there is an issue.

Is it really cheaper in Norway where a Big Mac is like a tenner!? :o

I don't think you'll get it done much cheaper - I believe the surgeon and anaesthetist fees are pretty standardised

Must be the hospital fees that change most - perhaps going private at the local NHS hospital unit is less costly? I think fees can be negotiated too
LK arthroscopy 8/2/10
2nd scope on 16/12/10
RK arthroscopy on 5/2/15

Offline spamula

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2012, 10:09:26 PM »
I paid 1700 in Norway last time, I have been very happy with the surgery I have to say. Knee feels ok although I had most of my medial mensicus removed as it was floating inside the knee and locking alot. I'm generally happy with it and it feels better than I though although I don't do much running or soccer these days.

This time I'm getting locking on my right ACL reconstructed side.  Not as bad locking but pain is worse lol. Was thinking of getting a meniscus transplant at some point anyone know if I can play soccer on it?

Offline Vickster

• Administrator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Neelie knee!
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2012, 11:20:26 PM »
Meniscus transplantation is pretty rare, and even more so in the UK - only a few surgeons do them, e.g. Tim Spalding in the Midlands (and then only handful apparently).  I am not sure if it is even done on the NHS?  Will be many thousands privately (a MACI is something like 10-12k, so expect not dissimilar)

There is one guy in the US who had one done and is back to some sports (baseball I think).  Have a look in the meniscus forum :)
LK arthroscopy 8/2/10
2nd scope on 16/12/10
RK arthroscopy on 5/2/15