Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: insight needed. 6months since injury. dislocation? suplaxation? pain, OH YA!  (Read 751 times)

Offline mpowers

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
In the middle of this past Sept. (2011) I twisted my knee.  I was trying to pivot on my heel but the heel didn't slide as intended instead the 'pivot' happened in my knee.  As i was turning i felt two 'pops'. the first one was 'louder and more intense'.  Followed immediately by intense pain.  shortly later i had some minor swelling.  24hrs after the injury I saw a dr. who did an Xray and said that the patella was misaligned.  I  rested for about 2 weeks. then began 8 weeks of physical therapy.  pain has persisted.  the doc referred me for an MRI and to the surgeon in his practice.  he suggested medial patella tendon repair.  But added it had been 3 years since he had done one...which didn't exactly inspire confidence.  so i sought a second opinion, who said that the damage in the MRI didn't warrant surgery.  he gave a cortisone injection about 4 weeks ago...it didn't seem to do much.  My pain is not as bad as initially but consistently a 3-5 on a scale of 1-10.   

any advice???

Offline aaa

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 1
if you're knee was perfect stable before the injury, then your kneecap dislocated / subluxated, and after physiotherapy you still feel your kneecap is unstable ... then an MPFL reconstruction might be warranted.

usually the instability would feel as if your kneecap is going out of the groove toward the outside or laterally and might cause pain along the edge of medial kneecap as well.  The MPFL is a key ligament that prevents lateral translation / dislocation of the kneecap ... after your injury it could have been damaged and not healed sufficiently to prevent further instability.

sometimes there might be other abnormalities present, and a surgeon shouuld be looking for bony abnormalities such as patella alta, increased TT-TG angle, femoral anteversion etc..

Offline krunzer

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 2
I dealt with this problem for 15 years.  I just recently (Dec 1, 2011) had a medial plication and lateral release done on my knee.  It honestly feels so much better.  It feels more stable than ever.  I had gone through at least 7 knee injuries during that time period so mine might be a little different than yours.  The surgery sucked and the first couple of weeks were the worst but I am in PT now and working my way towards my new knee!  Definately not saying surgery is for everyone, but if you are having subsequent patellar dislocations it should be looked at and assessed. 

Offline aaa

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 1

Offline krunzer

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 2
That is a very good read yb!

support