Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: my dog slammed into my already bad knee  (Read 4342 times)

Offline DebsLOL

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
my dog slammed into my already bad knee
« on: February 12, 2012, 11:08:53 PM »
We were getting ready to leave the dog park and my dog got afraid of some small dogs and started to turn and run away...unfortunately when he turned to run away he slammed into my knee.  It was very painful and I thought for sure I wasn't going to be able to walk out of there, it actually made me cry.  I am very worried about something major happening.  it is my lower outside part of the knee and it hurts to touch.  I can walk on it but if I step on it a certain way I get a sharp pain at times.  Is this something to worry about or is it just bruising that will heal on its own??

A few hours later and I can't step on it without pain in the lower outside part of my knee...ouch
« Last Edit: February 13, 2012, 04:14:19 AM by DebsLOL »
Goldwaithe 1976
8 arthroscopy's 1986-present
patellar misalginment
osteoarthritis
cartiiledge damage
Ankylosing spondyliitis

Offline dm

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 19
  • I hate my knee!! :(
Re: my dog slammed into my already bad knee
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2012, 06:44:49 AM »
If I were you, I'd ice it every couple hours, stay off it as much as you can, absolutely do not twist it when you walk, turn on the ball of your foot (pick up your heel) when you turn, which you should do anyway, and if you've got one, wrap the knee in a support or sleeve to take some strain off it. Oh,and if you can, either don't walk your "pony" or bring a handful of biscuits to help keep him so he doesn't pull the lead so he won't pull on that knee in the least. Better yet, if you can pay the neighbor kid a couple bucks to walk him the next week or two, if you have to take him out for walks, even better.

If, in a couple weeks, the knee is still bothering you, then I'd consider that you may have had more happen to it that "rover" causing a sprain to an already weak knee.

I don't normally advocate choke collars - and no, I don't mean the ones with spikes, I just mean the chain collars that tighten if the dog lunges, but with dogs over 50 pounds, they're often a good secondary to have on them and clipped in in case their nylon collar gives out or if they start acting up, then you can swap to it, or it is there in case the plain one breaks. Some people use head halters as an alternative.
multiple arthroscopies 2/00,3/01,6/01,1/03, 12/07,10/10. chondromalacia, severe medial joint space narrowing following 3 partial menisectomies, chronic pain problems, kneecap problems, OCD lesion, failed mfx.

Offline captainruss

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 9
Re: my dog slammed into my already bad knee
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2012, 06:44:02 PM »
Debs,

My black lab thinks she is in charge of my care and follows me from room to room.  When I come home (each time) she comes running for me hell bent for leather and plows into me in a total expression of doggy joy!  Yes, I cringe every time I open the door, but she is so good for my mood......just have to prepare prior to opening the door and never let your guard down.

If you are getting sharp pains, stop what causes them.  this is your body sending you a message.  I fell 3 weeks ago at 4:00 a.m. in the kitchen.  I just tripped over a small piece of floor trip that separates the kitchen from the dining room.  I lay in a pile screaming and ended up crawling back to bed.  I eventually went to the hospital, but needed an ambulance. 

What a huge waste of money....I stayed 2 days and my OS bombed me so I could lay down in the back of my pickup and go home.  I just needed to lay down and not move except for the little boys room for 2 weeks before I could stand to sit/stand.  It just takes time.  The $150 each day I wasted in the hospital were unnecessary.  The drugs were better, but the beds were harder and the service worse.

Russ
80 Shattered patella 5 surg
09  TKR 
09  MUA
09  MUA
09  Knee infected??
10  TKR  Scar Tissue
10  2nd OS  Diagnosis Infection
10  TKR with antibiotic spacer, no joint
4/11  TKR
11  TKR PT
11  TKR