Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: i think my diagnosis is wrong. what does this sound like to you guys.  (Read 836 times)

Offline dbadalam

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
i think my diagnosis is wrong.  what does this sound like to you guys.

I have intense stabbing pain on and below my kneecap when I try to lift and bend my knee.  No pain when the knee is straight.  I was sitting on the couch bent my knee funny and leaned forward and first got the intense pain that made me scream.  I have not been able to lift and bend my knee since.  x-ray showed nothing unuasual, exam was unremarkable.  As long as the leg is straight, there is no pain.  No pain when the doc moves the knee cap around, but I can't bend and lift my leg up.

He said it was bruised cartilage, and I should wear a brace for 2 weeks and it should clear up.  But it just doesnt seem right to me.  I show no signs of improvement after a week.  what else could be wrong that wouldn't have any pain unless i bent and lifted my leg.  Like to go up stairs or put on pants.  then the pain so so severe i straighten my knee out in a reflex reaction. 
I had damaged cartilage before on my left leg and the pain was dull and constant not like this at all.

any thoughts? male 41, 170lbs

Offline ElSquinto

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Re: i think my diagnosis is wrong. what does this sound like to you guys.
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2012, 04:07:03 AM »
I am not a knee surgeon, so I can't say whether or not the diagnosis is correct or not?

What sort of doctor did you visit?  Was he an orthopedic surgeon who specialized in knee cases?

Offline dm

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 19
  • I hate my knee!! :(
Re: i think my diagnosis is wrong. what does this sound like to you guys.
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2012, 07:10:41 AM »
with the knee bent, is the pain where the big tendon is just below the kneecap? or is it under the kneecap itself? I'm wondering if you've pinched the tendon somehow.
multiple arthroscopies 2/00,3/01,6/01,1/03, 12/07,10/10. chondromalacia, severe medial joint space narrowing following 3 partial menisectomies, chronic pain problems, kneecap problems, OCD lesion, failed mfx.

support