Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Can someone please help me..ACL tear or sprain?  (Read 3280 times)

Offline Jaisquared

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Can someone please help me..ACL tear or sprain?
« on: February 09, 2012, 05:32:37 PM »
A week ago I was playing in a soccer game (I'm American). I was going for the ball, I had my leg planted, and went to make a quick movement out of the opposing girl's way. Well my leg was planted so my knee went one way and my body went the other. I heard or felt a pop, I have no idea if I actually heard it or if I just felt it but I know it was there (does that make sense?). I immediately hit the ground in excrutiating pain. I couldn't walk at the time or bend it, everytime I bent it there was a sharp pain. I went to the ER (veterans hospital, not the best of healthcare), he said it was sprained but I have an MRI scheduled,but not for another 2 weeks.

It doesn't hurt anymore to walk on it, at all. Sometime if I move a certain way I get a sharp pain. The next day after the injury, I was able to wobble around, just like pressure on my big toe, none on my knee. The swelling is basically all gone, it never doubled the size or any crazy amount but it did swell for about 6 days. The last 2 days, randomly Throughout the day I have felt pain in it. Yesterday I ran about 15 feet just to see if it was better or not. It hurt a little.

So my question is, do you think it is just a sprain, should I cancel my MRI appt? I just want to get back to playing soccer!
« Last Edit: February 09, 2012, 08:30:30 PM by Jaisquared »

Offline Snowy

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 93
Re: Can someone please help me..ACL tear or sprain?
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2012, 05:39:15 AM »
Given the mechanism of injury, the popping sensation, and the pain you experienced at the time of injury, I would absolutely follow through and have the MRI. It's possible you don't have an ACL tear, but you have some very strong indications that one took place and with possible ligament damage, it's way better to err on the side of caution. I did astonishingly well after my knee injury (pain rescinded very fast, knee remained strong, competed in a 100km cycling road race less than a month after injury and was skiing after six weeks) but the MRI and subsequent surgery revealed that my ACL was completely ruptured.

Have the MRI and see what happens. A torn ACL doesn't mean that surgical reconstruction is a given, or that you can't take part in the sports you want. However, it's really important to know so that if your ACL is torn, you can make an informed choice about what to do next.
Mar 11: R Biceps femoris tear (skiing)
Jul 10: ACLr (hamstring autograft)
Mar 10: L ACL rupture (skiing)
Feb 06: L partial ACL tear (kickboxing)
Dec 03: R bone edema (motorbike)
Jan 01: R patellar chip (motorbike)
May 93: R ACL sprain (hockey)
Ongoing: bilateral PFS and OA

Offline DennisKnee

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2012, 09:05:47 AM »
I'd have to agree with Snowy on that one - get the MRI. When I had my MRI after a netball injury, my physiotherapists were expecting that it would just be a meniscus tear - nope, full-thickness ACL tear (and a medial meniscus tear). It was concluded that the ACL tear had possibly been there for 10+ years.

Even though the option of conservative management of your injury might be suggested, given my experience, I'd opt for an ACL reconstruction if you need one, especially if you're young and good at the sport you play (soccer). I postponed my ACLR surgery in 2010 and had a number of restrictions placed on me e.g.: no more netball, no contact sports and instead, I did plenty of rehab. My knee was finally feeling pretty good so I returned to fairly intensive training toward the end of 2011 only to suffer a patellar dislocation, tearing my MPFL and then some.

Hopefully it's nothing too major and you're out playing soccer again soon. 
Sep 10 - confirmed ACL & medial meniscus tear
Dec 11 - chronic patellar dislocation - MPFL tear
23 Feb 12 - scope, MUA & 50% medial meniscectomy
17 Apr 12 - ACLr and MPFLr

Offline mancunianjob

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2012, 01:54:25 PM »
Your injury is very very similar to mine. Planted leg playing soccer, body twisted, leg stayed planted. Didn't hear an audible pop but sensed it happened. I was in pain, but had little swelling. Emergency department diagnosed a bad sprain with potential meniscus tear. Following an MRI scan however a fully ruptured ACL was diagnosed to my shock. It may turn out to be nothing but I'd get the scan if I were you. You don't want to leave an undiagnosed ACL rupture for too long. It'll catch up with you one day.

Offline Jaisquared

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2012, 03:02:26 PM »
Thank you guys so much for responding! If it is a tear, I will definitely go through with surgery. I'm 29, still kind of young, I have a few more soccer years left. I can't imagine not playing anymore. We will see what the MRI says. Thanks again.

Offline Snowy

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 93
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2012, 04:57:20 PM »
That was very much the way I felt about it, too - even though my leg was very stable after the rupture, I wanted to keep going with high level sports and the lack of lateral support would have taken a toll over time. I'm now 18 months out of surgery, and it was definitely the right choice for me.

Best of luck - I'll keep my fingers crossed that the MRI brings good news. :)
Mar 11: R Biceps femoris tear (skiing)
Jul 10: ACLr (hamstring autograft)
Mar 10: L ACL rupture (skiing)
Feb 06: L partial ACL tear (kickboxing)
Dec 03: R bone edema (motorbike)
Jan 01: R patellar chip (motorbike)
May 93: R ACL sprain (hockey)
Ongoing: bilateral PFS and OA

Offline Jaisquared

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2012, 03:01:24 PM »
As I wait for my MRI appt in another week, I am left with no answers; it's so frustrating!!

Whenever I walk up a curb or step with my injured leg, there is a pain. Did any of you guys get that with a torn ACL?

To make matters worse, today is the first game of my new season!!! :(

Offline DennisKnee

• Regular Poster
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2012, 07:12:01 AM »
Sorry Jaisquared but I honestly can't remember what pain I had because it was so long ago. I only remember an enormous amount of swelling and the fact that i had to kick my boyfriend out of bed for about a week or so because the slightest movement of him rolling over or getting in and out of bed was too painful.

I know it's easier said than done, but try not to anticipate the worst. Chin up  ;)

Offline Jaisquared

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2012, 07:23:35 PM »
Well, I had my MRI yesterday, now I am just waiting on the results. I know my knee is messed up, but I am so paranoid that they are gonna say nothing is wrong and have to live with this forever! Like I said before, U.S veteran healthcare is not great health care and that is my only insurance.

I have a question though, today I was walking and started to get sharp pains running through my knee. It was pretty painful, I am now walking with a limp again. MY walking had been perfect for about the last 2 weeks. I am now 3 weeks post injury. I am curious to what this new pain is in my injured knee!!

Offline DennisKnee

• Regular Poster
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2012, 08:59:26 AM »
No news yet?? When are you likely to hear about your MRI?

Offline Jaisquared

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2012, 06:43:10 PM »
Still waiting! I am way too impatient for this! I had a phone appt scheduled with my doctor today at 11:30 but she never called!!

Offline Jaisquared

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2012, 07:24:55 PM »
Well my doctor called, she said my knee had been dislocated but is back in place now. She said all my ligaments are fine. This scares me because I know something is wrong with my knee. If it doesn't get better, I am going to push for further testing.

Offline DennisKnee

• Regular Poster
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2012, 02:45:54 AM »
Dislocated your entire knee or your kneecap? If it was your kneecap, there's practically zero chance that your MPFL Is intact.

Offline Jaisquared

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2012, 11:56:36 PM »
The doctor said I dislocated my patella but it went back into place on its own. She wasn't very helpful. I feel so exhausted wtih having to get my information about an injury from online rather than her! She told me I can play on it again, but I am still skeptical as there is still sharp pains when I move my knee a certain way. It has been 5 weeks tomorrow.

Offline DennisKnee

• Regular Poster
« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2012, 09:53:27 AM »
I'd be extremely sceptical if I was in your position too. If you're not happy with the diagnosis then I'd certainly encourage you to get a second opinion. Are you seeing a physiotherapist or doing anything in particular for the pain?

Sorry to hear that it hasn't gone well so far.