Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: has my micro-fracture failed?  (Read 10972 times)

Offline rob43

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 2
Re: has my micro-fracture failed?
« Reply #75 on: March 28, 2012, 07:49:14 PM »
no
i have emailed them to try and arrange another appointment
as i want so questions answered, plsu i want to know if they is anything else they can do instead as i dont want to spend 12months doing sod all again!
i know unless i let them go in and have a look they wont be able to answer my question,but if they know how i feel maybe they will go into my knee and try and fix instead of just replace the cartilage???
wishful thinking i know

Offline vickster

• Administrator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 454
  • Neelie knee!
« Reply #76 on: March 28, 2012, 07:54:55 PM »
There is no real way to 'fix' now without a transplant (be it an OATS, with own or donor cartilage - normally open - or a MACI, cells taken by scope, grown, patch up in open op), or, as Lottie above, you try to see Shetty in Kent on NHS (private will cost you 10k).  There aren't any other options in the UK (unless there are new trials).  You can say that under no uncertain terms are they to do another microfracture if you let them in to tidy.  I'd ask if you can have an hyaluronic acid injection to try to lubricate the joint and calm things down - one of the Stanmore surgeons gave to me when he scoped (albeit I was private, stuff's not cheap)

You need to have a read of this to get an idea of the options really  http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEnotes/node/1839
Came off bike onto concrete 9/9/09 (lat meniscus, lat condyle defect)
LK scopes 8/2/10 & 16/12/10
RK scope 5/2/15 (menisectomy, Hoffa’s fat pad trim)
LK scope 10.1.19 medial meniscectomy, trochlea MFX
LK scope 19.4.21 MFX to both condyles & trochlea, patella cartilage shaved, viscoseal, depo-medrone

Offline Lottiefox

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 16
« Reply #77 on: March 28, 2012, 10:50:41 PM »
I am not sure why you're considering something else if you are able to run, and be pretty much pain free at the moment. As Vicks said, they can't do anything else to "fix" things. Once cartilage is gone, its gone. It ain't coming back. Various options to try and alleviate the damage exist but basically if you've lost your natural bit no amount of surgery will give you that pristine knee again. Never. Options are tidy up (if you;re down to bone, not a lot to tidy apart from loose edges to seal..._, microfracture (You've had this - I would say that you're still likely to see gains seeing as you're making functional progress still and admit to needing to build muscle), OATS, MACI, ACI, or any other name for growing your own cartilage and grafting it back on, De Novo (donor cartilage can be used from a juvenile cadaver..not available here on NHS as far as I know), new techniques like Cartifill will be developing but are very experimental.

You might find it interesting to google some blogs on graft recovery - Marc Rubin is a triathlete who had De Novo probably about 20 months ago now. He has worked pretty much flat out since that time to regain his function and ability to compete in Ironman and beyond. He's had scopes to remove fraying, injections of PRP and stem cells....you name it....

http://www.10-hours.com/

Without the surgery he would not be close to competing again. But he's been through hell and committed two years of his life to recovering and rehab. This is what you need to be prepared for.

Visco injections might help with lubrication and protecting the cartilage you have. NHS can provide but you'll need to push for them. They can be done easily whilst you're awake. My Euflexxa helps me a lot but I get it privately.

Lottie
Bilateral patella OA since 2009, no surgeries.
Euflexxa working well x3 to current
Right forefoot CRPS post fusion surgery 2011
Refusing to let the ailing parts stop me....

Offline rob43

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #78 on: March 29, 2012, 11:19:10 AM »
ty obviously you guys know more about this than i do thats pretty clear!
yes i can do a lots of things that people who's fracture has failed cant do , yes my leg is very tiny weak shakes when doing weight bearing exercise
but my knee feels unstable, cant work out if this is due to muscle weakness or the muscle weakness is due to the unstable knee!
the other thing ive asked and no one seems to know the answer is why does it hurt all the time at the start of exercise then settle down after a few sets of weights
then back to pain again once i start all over again, its been the same since the op

as i said to my gf only last night if i decide to stop playing sports because i feel to old then i can live with that, but i cant live with not doing what i love because on an injury

Offline rob43

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #79 on: March 29, 2012, 05:54:28 PM »
really pleased with myself today i did 15min run roughly at the same pace i use to do and a 3mile bike ride with no pain
only thing i cant do is play football and deep lunge on the bad leg which isnt bad if i say so myself

Offline Lottiefox

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 16
« Reply #80 on: March 29, 2012, 07:12:41 PM »
Instability is more than likely caused by muscle weakness. I was off my feet for only about 9 days last April. I STILL have a smaller leg on that side and it was the foot that was chopped up not my knee! I wobble more on one legged work, I find it harder to push down on the bike with that side, etc etc. I think you'll find that in the next 6 months you get a lot of strength back and that wobbly feeling reduces. Honestly, I have a huge defect on my femur and when I did it I couldn't even walk fast it hurt so much. I haven't had MFX but I think its covered itself with something like Vicks has, as I can now jog (slowly!) and it does not hurt. I don't jog as I have other damage but I can do it if I have to. I can even sprint up the odd hill.

Why does it hurt when you start and then feel better? Possibly because as you exercise the blood flow around your body increases and the joint naturally gets more oxygen and blood going to it as you warm up. Also the knee is a synovial joint and using it means the fluid swishes about and gets moving, hence the rationale behind use it or use it in motion of joints. I also find that if I doing weights the actual concentration and endorphins I get during a set especially towards the end just reduces my focus on the bit that hurts and it starts to feel better. Distraction is a powerful tool!

Good work on the run and bike ride. Lunges are VERY rough on the knees, they might always hurt. Is football no good because of the changes of direction and kicking etc? hang in there. I think you're probably actually what could be termed a success at the moment with plenty of time to keep improving!

Lottie
Bilateral patella OA since 2009, no surgeries.
Euflexxa working well x3 to current
Right forefoot CRPS post fusion surgery 2011
Refusing to let the ailing parts stop me....

Offline rob43

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #81 on: March 30, 2012, 10:53:04 AM »
ty Lottie
half my problem is i expect results straight away i,m not one for sitting on my bum and doing nothing drives me mad with boredom
the surgeon that done the microfrature said 12months before i can do sport again, the 2nd surgeon at stanmore said i should of been doing stuff at about 6months
but then again i am doing stuff at 6months just not the football
ive got to decide if i want to carry on for a few more months as i am and see if i get back to sport, or go ahead and risk not being able to do anything again and have the maci done!

Offline garethday

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #82 on: May 06, 2012, 10:38:22 AM »
Hi lottie,  I would love to correspond with you about knee issues as you seem to have gone through it all with a smile on your face.

Gareth Day
[email protected]

Offline vickster

• Administrator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 454
  • Neelie knee!
« Reply #83 on: May 06, 2012, 11:29:02 AM »
I've emailed you back, Gareth :)
Came off bike onto concrete 9/9/09 (lat meniscus, lat condyle defect)
LK scopes 8/2/10 & 16/12/10
RK scope 5/2/15 (menisectomy, Hoffa’s fat pad trim)
LK scope 10.1.19 medial meniscectomy, trochlea MFX
LK scope 19.4.21 MFX to both condyles & trochlea, patella cartilage shaved, viscoseal, depo-medrone

support