Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: I'm back after a year and still in pain  (Read 823 times)

Offline vlm020

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 0
I'm back after a year and still in pain
« on: February 09, 2012, 01:26:08 PM »
Hi All,

I was posting on here fairly frequently until about a year ago but found that my knee was taking over my life and I also had a wedding to plan so I took a break.

A brief history - tore quad 3 yrs ago and it has never been right since.  I also have hypermobility, tibial and femoral torsion, shallow hip sockets and flat feet.  I have seen numerous physios, been fitted with orthotics (off the shelf then custom made), seen a rheumatologist and still my knee/quad is playing up.  I think the insoles have helped as I seem to have worse pain if I don't wear them but I still can't run, walk uphill or cycle pain free and I leave every swimming session limping.  I had an MRI last year but it came back negative.

I've heard people say that you can feel the pain in one place (in my case my quad above my knee) and the problem be somewhere else.  I have been repeatedly told that all my problems are linked but I still can't help believing that because it hurts in such a specific place that there must be solution or a particular injury causing the problem.  All the physio was able to say was 'muscles don't take this long to heal and it shouldn't be hurting anymore' - thanks!

I think my next option is orthopedics which is a bit scary as I'm sure I'll be told that there is nothing they can do.  I guess I've been burying my head in the sand, hoping that things would get better by themself.

Offline NeverGiveUp

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Re: I'm back after a year and still in pain
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2012, 05:38:07 PM »
Hello vlm020,

I am so sorry to hear of all of your pain!! I can actually speak from complete experience when it comes to quad/knee pain. I tore my quad in 2009 in 3 places and I still have pain in it and it is definitely my weaker leg.  I have had nerve tests done to determine whether or not nerve damage was apparent. Thankfully, the test came back normal.  I wish I could say that after you "recover" from a torn quad that all the pain is gone but that is not the case. I have been told that my quad will never be the same.

In regard to your knee pain, I have had 4 knee surgeries (after the torn quad) and unfortunately they didn't realize I had femoral anteversion until November 2011 and I am looking on the course of bilateral femoral derotaion osteotomies.

Hang in there with the quad! It is rough but you can do it!! Really focus on isolating it in exercises and stretch it as much as possible.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2012, 05:40:31 PM by NeverGiveUp »
3/09  Torn Quad (R)
4/22/10  Lateral Release (R)
5/27/10  Lateral Release (L)
8/10  Knee Cap Dislocation (R)
9/9/10  Fulkerson Osteotomy (R)
12/22/10  Fulkerosn Osteotomy (L)
1/12  Diagnosed w/ mild Scoliosis (lower back)

support