Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Having Allograft Oats procedure in April and really scared  (Read 9017 times)

Offline izzysmama

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 1
Having Allograft Oats procedure in April and really scared
« on: February 08, 2012, 07:15:39 PM »
Hello all,
I am scheduled to have an allograft oats procedure in mid April and am really struggling with the decision.  I have an lateral femoral osteochondral defect which measures 2.5cm by 3.5cm in my right knee.  It hardly causes me any pain and I can do most things with no problems at all.  The only way I know it is even there is that my knee locks several times a day.  I have seen two doctors and both have recommended the surgery.  The first dr. wanted to do an allograft procedure which I was terrified of.  The second dr (who is the team dr for the Patriots and Red Sox) believes he can do an autograft procedure. Both drs feel that I need to have this done now as the defect will keep getting bigger and I would be looking at knee replacement in a few years.  I am 43 now and am in great physical condition.  I am extremely active and exercise on a regular basis.  I had meniscus repair done at the end of October and bounced back really quickly (I never even had to take an advil for pain).  Reading about this surgery has caused me a lot of stress and I am looking for advice.  I'm just not sure that I am doing the right thing given how normal I feel at the moment.  I would love to hear from anyone that has had this surgery.  What would you do if you were me?  Thanks so much, I appreciate any and all advice :)

Offline Sam451

• Regular Poster
Re: Having Allograft Oats procedure in April and really scared
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2012, 03:56:21 PM »
I'm going to be honest, it's a rough recovery. I had an MCL reconstruction with mine as well which has contributed to the long recovery. Be prepared to be laid up for at least six weeks non weight bearing. I am still on crutches partial weight bearing at 10 1/2 weeks post op.

Even if this surgery fails I will not regret doing something that could bring back a semblance of normalcy for me. If I did nothing it would only get worse. I had an autograft and it failed as well as a failed micro fracture prior to that. I had a different surgeon at that time. I have researched and found that allografts have more success than autografts so I am hoping that this one works for me. My dr is the Portland Timbers soccer team Dr. I trust him fully. He did a medial (injury spot) and lateral allograft. The other surgeon that did the autograft did a bad job with the area he took the donor piece from so this surgeon had to replace that as well.

Read my recovery story. It starts from the begining to each week of recovery and what has taken place. I update it weekly. It's just below your post. Feel free to ask any questions you may come up with. I know it really helped me when I was getting ready for this surgery to get as much info as I could.

Jenni ;D
Nov 09 Torn MCL, Articular Cartilage & Lateral Meniscus
April 10 Microfracture Failed/menisectomy
Dec 10 Autograft
Sept 11 Chondroplasty
Nov 11 Allograft MCL Recon
Jan 13 Chondroplasty, Lat Release
May 13 TTO/Lat Release
Dec 14 lat retinaculum repair
Nov 15 screw removal tighten lat retinaculum

Offline izzysmama

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2012, 04:19:27 PM »
Thank you so much Jenni! I have read your recovery story and it sounds very difficult.  My defect is causing me virtually no pain (I just came back from the gym where I was on the eliptical for 30 minutes with very little pain).  I have full range of motion (I can even sit on the floor with my knees bent under me).  Both drs have been very surprised that I am not incapacitated given the size and location of the defect so I guess I am extremely lucky. 

Given where I am right now, I'm really trying to decide if this procedure will be worth it or should I just wait until I have to do something even if I'm looking at a partial knee replacement.  It almost seems as if the recovery from a knee replacement is less painful and shorter.  I am currently waiting to hear if I have been accepted into an ultrasound program which would start in September.  I so scared that I will not be mobile enough by then to start (surgery is 4/17).  I also have two youngish kids (11 and 8) and am constantly bringing them to their activities.  My parents are available to help me out now, but they may not be down the road so that is another thing that is pushing me to do something now. 

If I was in pain and the knee kept me from doing more things, then I think the decision would be so much easier.

Offline Sam451

• Regular Poster
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2012, 08:08:24 AM »
I definitely hear what your saying. It would be a tougher decision if I had not been in pain. One of the things to consider is that with a defect like that, there is more than likely debris floating around that is causing damage to the good parts of the knee.  If you decide against surgery it might be a good idea to at least clean the knee out if the OS thinks there could be debris.

Good luck with whatever you decide. I hope that if you have the surgery it is any easy recovery for you.  :)

Jenni
Dec 10 Autograft
Sept 11 Chondroplasty
May 13 TTO/Lat Release

Offline izzysmama

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2012, 07:14:05 PM »
Thanks again Jenni, I did have a meniscus repair and clean out done in October (not sure how much debris they found).  In any case, the surgery is scheduled for 4/17.  I guess it is just a matter of going through the pain now or later.  I will let you know what I decide.  Hope that you are feeling better and getting around more.

Offline Jaime0402

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2012, 08:47:48 PM »
I had ACL Recon November 2009, Microfracture October 2010 and OATS June 2011. OATS was by FAR the most painful thing I have ever been through in my life and I have had many surgeries unfortunately. I am 9 months post op and still having the same pain in my MFC as I have before the OATS so I'm pretty sure it's failed. Honestly, if I had to do over again I would have never had it done. Not with as minimal as my pain was, I would have put it off as long as possible. I to am very active and have 4 kids so being confined and restricted for 11 weeks like to have drove me nuts! I'm sure everyone's experience is different but no one prepared me for how bad it was going to be. I was on pain meds from June until December! If I find out the OATS didn't work for me I'll have to live with the pain or they can cut my left leg off below the knee cause I couldn't do that surgery again. I hope I didn't scare you too bad, I really do wish you the best!

Offline markld

• Regular Poster
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2012, 11:09:10 PM »
Then dont do it!!!!

Why aren't you having a Denovo NT???  Perhaps you should look into it......
April 2008 microfracture left knee trochlea
Jan 2009 ACI harvest from right knee
Mar 2009 ACI right knee trochlea
July 2009 Aci left knee
Nov 2009 left knee scope to check graft

Offline silentcat38

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2012, 08:49:56 PM »
Where can I find Jenni's recovery journal?  I just had Oats allograft 7 weeks ago...

Offline Sam451

• Regular Poster
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2012, 04:07:55 AM »
If your talking about mine it listed a few posts below this one. The title is "MFC allograft & reconstruction of MCL finally had surgery". I hope it helps you.

Jenni
Dec 10 Autograft
Sept 11 Chondroplasty
May 13 TTO/Lat Release

Offline brendonmcc

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2015, 08:20:06 PM »
So now that it's been a while since this post, how is everyone healing?

I am struggling with the decision as well. I have a somewhat large lateral femoral osteochondral defect as well, so I'm wondering how everyone's is doing now that it was a couple of years ago.

About a year ago, I was playing football and landed on a straight leg. It buckled backwards, and I tore my ACL, PCL, LCL and fractured by tibial plateau and my medial femoral condyle. A reconstruction and a manipulation later, they scoped it, found the defect, and did a microfracture procedure. My PCL graft failed, so now I have to decide if I get the PCL repaired, do I go ahead and do the allograft OATS at the same time to fix it "for good" or wait until the microfracture "wears off" and address it then?

support