Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Dennis gets a new ACL & MPFL  (Read 7866 times)

Offline Calamityrach

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Re: Dennis gets a new ACL & MPFL
« Reply #45 on: April 17, 2012, 11:56:59 AM »
Karen,

Hope all's gone/going well for you !!!

Keep us posted

Be positive, it will hurt but gets better !!

Rachel xx

Offline DennisKnee

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #46 on: April 18, 2012, 03:51:53 AM »
Hello there! Thanks for all the warm wishes and positive thoughts. I'm still in hospital but due out tomorrow morning. Once I'm home I'll be able to share all my stories from the past couple of days.

So far, so good. In a bit of pain but doing my best to stay on top of the meds. Got lots of photos to post when I figure out how to do it - X-rays with new screws etc.

My thoughts are with Jo today - you'll do great.

The thicker bandages are coming off soon and I'm getting put into a CPM. No brace for me and I've started on my exercises and assisted walking on this contraption with wheels. I'll get a photo.

Take care and I'll get started on a post op diary when I get home!

x Karen
Sep 10 - confirmed ACL & medial meniscus tear
Dec 11 - chronic patellar dislocation - MPFL tear
23 Feb 12 - scope, MUA & 50% medial meniscectomy
17 Apr 12 - ACLr and MPFLr

Offline oohheykate

• SuperKNEEgeek
    • My photography-Flickr
« Reply #47 on: April 19, 2012, 01:57:16 AM »
Glad you're doing well so far! Can't wait to see the pictures.
-18 years old-
Left knee;
11.07.08- Scope
07.02.09- Lateral Release/Meniscus Repair
11.11.09- diagnosis of Patellar Instability/Patellar Tracking Disorder
12.10.09- Medial Reefing/Lateral Release
01.11- Synvisc
04.14.11- MPFL Reconstruction
06.21.11- LOA & MUA

Offline DennisKnee

• Regular Poster
« Reply #48 on: April 20, 2012, 04:51:22 AM »
It's taken a few days to find my feet (metaphorically speaking) but with one dose of Endone wearing off and another due in 90 minutes, there's a window of clarity and a chance to get up-to-speed while the world doesn't appear so....so fuzzy!

It's Friday 20 April 2012 and almost time for lunch here in Sydney, Australia. I've been home from the hospital for just over 24 hours after spending 2 nights there, recovering from my ACL and MPFL reconstructive surgery (left knee).

I was admitted to hospital at 0700 on Tuesday 17 April 2012 and was third on the list - quite a blessing when you consider that I had forgotten to bring my scans and x-rays along.

Pretty sure that's something you learn in Surgery 101: DON'T FORGET YOUR SCANS! My housemate was kind enough to brave the torrential rain and head home to grab them for me. I tried to sleep while I waited but to no avail. It was nervous, frightened and wondering if anyone would notice if I took of the blue hospital gown, white fluffy robe and little booties and just slipped through the doors to follow her.

She returned and I was eventually wheeled away, off into another 'holding area' at around 0915. This area was freezing cold and I was covered with a warmed blanket before a final visit from my surgeon, the anaesthetic nurse and then.........BLANK!

Roll this way.....an x-ray board was between my knees......eyes opened.....eyes closed....people.....BLANK!

1330 that afternoon I was up in the ward; the room that would be mine for the next couple of days. I don't remember much from Tuesday afternoon at all. My bandages were very thick and from mid thigh to ankle. They were de-bulked and my dressings changed the next day. I got some good photos but still can't figure out how to post them.  >:(

I was put in a CPM on Wednesday afternoon and all through the night. With my bandages removed and compression wraps applied, it was a good time to get stuck into the ice. I was pushing my buzzer every 2 hours to get the bag replaced. The pain wasn't too bad and I've been very conscientious about taking my tablets every 6 hours.

In the hospital I also had a couple of injections in the tummy to prevent clotting. I didn't like those injections.

On a positive note, I was sent flowers and biscuits and chocolates! I had my housemate take them home so I wouldn't be tempted. I've been rationed just one treat each day while I'm still quite inactive.

I see my surgeon next Thursday and my physio on the Friday. I've been restricted to the following exercises until then:

- foot pumps (x20, 3 times daily)
- quad contractions (hold for 5 secs, x20, 3 times daily)
- co-contractions (as above)
- heel slides (x20, 3 times daily)
- hamstring stretch (20 mins, 3 times daily)

My CPM was delivered today so I'll keep you posted with how that goes.

In terms of pain, my housemate has been setting her alarm every two hours (even through the night!) to change my ice, check on me and give me meds when they're due so I'm as comfortable as I can possibly be. I'm certainly not pain free but I don't expect to be.

I slept well last night (first night home) and even get rolled over if I get uncomfortable! I can't complain!  :)

I'm aiming for around 90 degrees flexion (active) before I see my surgeon next week so there's work to be done! My knee is huge but minimal bruising at this stage.

I think that's all I can remember. Feel free to ask plenty of questions and let me know if you know how I can get pictures on here (easily). Anything that requires too much concentration is likely to make my head explode a the moment.

x Karen

PS Will this thread be moved to the "Post Op Diary" section or will I need to begin a new thread there??

Offline DennisKnee

• Regular Poster
« Reply #49 on: April 20, 2012, 01:18:36 PM »
3 days post op:

Final CPM session -5 extension to 67 degrees flexion. That feels pretty comfortable and I don't want to push it at this early stage. I'll aim for around 75-80 degrees tomorrow.

Exercises are going well. It's difficult to raise my leg and when I do, I feel some pain and quite a bit of pressure over my kneecap - there's >2 inch incision there and I feel the stitches pull a little.

Other than that, solid progress! I'm not in a brace and not required to wear one. I have crutches (Canadian) - the ones that go around the forearm as opposed to under the armpit. The hospital physio says the ones I'm using are designed to encourage more WB'ing. It's true, they do.

Until tomorrow.....

Offline oohheykate

• SuperKNEEgeek
    • My photography-Flickr
« Reply #50 on: April 24, 2012, 02:24:59 AM »
Hey Karen!

Glad you're doing well. How much weight are you allowed to bear or how much can you tolerate?

Seems like you are progressing very well with ROM!

If a moderator sees this, he/she will move it to the post-op diary section. No need to start a new diary. As for the pictures, you can upload them to tinypic.com and use the second code that says "IMG Code for Forums & Message Boards." Just copy and paste it into your post and they'll show up.
-18 years old-
Left knee;
11.07.08- Scope
01.11- Synvisc
06.21.11- LOA & MUA

Offline joval

• Regular Poster
« Reply #51 on: April 27, 2012, 09:44:31 PM »
Hi Karen,
How goes the battle?  Where are you with your PT?  How's the pain?
I had my stitches out yesterday, so far, so good.  I woke up today and my elephant leg was gone!  I can actually slip my foot into normal shoes.  Not sure what took place while I slept last night but it was all good.  At PT today I surprised myself by completing tasks that at first sounded impossible.  I walked some without crutches. I do still have my brace.
Hope things are going smoothly for you!
Take care.
Jo  8)
01/12  Fell
02/12  MRI ACL tear
04/12  RK ACL recon Allograft, meniscus trim

Offline DennisKnee

• Regular Poster
« Reply #52 on: May 02, 2012, 11:53:08 AM »
2 weeks post op.......

The battle continues and I'm making slow and steady progress. I'm already bored with daytime television! My stitches were removed last Thursday at my post op appointment with my surgeon, only to have the new dressing cause some type of allergic reaction for which I am taking antihistamines and applying calamine lotion.

Physiotherapy sessions are twice each week for an hour each time: half spent bending and massaging and the other half spent in a Pilates room. It hasn't been painful so far but no doubt that will come.

I begin hydrotherapy next week so I look forward to reporting back on how that goes.

I'm still taking Endone for the pain which in turn, has me trying every trick in the book to avoid constipation (over-share?? Lol)

I'm getting around the house without the use of crutches and yesterday I took a long walk using just one so that's good news.

Had my mum stay to help take care of me, hence the reason why I haven't posted for over a week. I thought it would be a bit rude to have my head buried in a computer.

So far, so good. I have to keep reminding myself that it's a marathon and not a sprint. It helps to ease the frustration, especially when I see people at the gym, running  :(

That's all for now. Feel free to ask questions and hopefully I'll get some pictures on here soon.

x Karen

Offline DennisKnee

• Regular Poster
« Reply #53 on: May 09, 2012, 12:07:20 PM »
3 weeks post op........

Progress is painfully slow but "really good" according to the physio who assessed me for hydrotherapy. The allergic reaction got much worse before it got better but thankfully it has cleared up so I've been in a much better mood these past few days.

I had my first hydro session this morning and it was fabulous! Best my knee has felt in months walking out of there. It was so good that I took myself off to the shops for a full body massage and a marathon clothes shopping expedition. I should have stayed at home after hydro. My knee is in a cryo cuff, angry, sore and swollen. What a twit I am! Did get some fabulous outfits for winter though  ;)

Pain meds have been cut right back and I only take something as required now as opposed to set timings. I'm still using one crutch but plan to get rid of that one before next post! Fingers crossed.

I need an early night after my big day shopping.

x Karen

Offline joval

• Regular Poster
« Reply #54 on: May 09, 2012, 03:40:08 PM »
Hi Karen,
You go girl!  Massage and shopping spree!  Love hearing that.  Your hydrotherapy sounds wonderful also  :D  Sometimes the pain is worth the treat you give yourself.  Keep up the great work.
Take care
SOFLA Jo
01/12  Fell
02/12  MRI ACL tear

Offline JintsLady

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #55 on: May 10, 2012, 06:55:12 PM »
Hi Karen!

I agree, Hydrotherapy sounds so wonderful, I wish they did it at my PT. 

Sounds like you deserved the shopping and massage!  Sorry you suffered for it though, a good shopping spree might be worth a little swelling.  At least you have the cryo cuff!  Love that darn thing!

I have my fingers and toes crossed for you!

BTW - your friend was right, the second surgery really has been easier. 

Take care and be well,

Jo (SI)
6/05 L ACL tear
8/05 L ACL recon hamstring autograft
3/12 R ACL tear
5/12 R ACL recon hamstring autograft/allograft combo, lateral meniscus trim

Offline DennisKnee

• Regular Poster
« Reply #56 on: May 16, 2012, 12:01:44 PM »
4 weeks post op......

Feels like I was really starting to move in the right direction only to take 5 steps forward and 7 steps back - you do the math!

From last week's hydrotherapy session to massage...to shopping.....to a Clinical Pilates session......to a session with my physio.....the pain and swelling spiraled out of control to the point where I ended up in the ER on Sunday and as a consequence, was kept in hospital until yesterday evening.

The main concern was that even at this late stage, I might have had a post op infection but my bloods came back okay. The diagnosis - post op swelling as a result of possibly overdoing things??

I'll certainly be reviewing my rehab protocols with my physio tomorrow. Needless to say I'm feeling pretty down, frustrated and even a little angry.

Back at hydro this morning. I've lost almost 60 degrees ROM and am temporarily back on 2 crutches just to be safe. It's a temporary setback and the only way is up!

Just gotta keep on keepin on  ;)
« Last Edit: May 16, 2012, 12:06:30 PM by DennisKnee »

Offline joval

• Regular Poster
« Reply #57 on: May 16, 2012, 07:10:32 PM »
Hi Karen,

I am so sorry about your setback.  I hope by the time you read this you are feeling better.  Thank goodness it's not an infection.  Overwork you can adjust a lot easier.

My PT told me today to trust myself, trust what my body tells me. If I'm told to do something by him or the doctor that I feel I'm not ready for let them know.

Take good care of yourself!
Jo
01/12  Fell
02/12  MRI ACL tear

Offline oohheykate

• SuperKNEEgeek
    • My photography-Flickr
« Reply #58 on: May 17, 2012, 01:01:00 AM »
Karen,

So sorry you ended up in the ER. I feel like I jinxed you. This is about the time I ended up in the ER after my MPFLr. Glad it wasn't an infection. You'll regain that ROM in no time!
-18 years old-
Left knee;
11.07.08- Scope
01.11- Synvisc
06.21.11- LOA & MUA

Offline JintsLady

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #59 on: May 19, 2012, 11:06:48 PM »
Karen,
So sorry to hear about the ER visit.  Hope by this time you're doing alot better.  Overdoing it is one of my biggest concerns.  My OS and PT keep reminding me not to overdo it, they know how I am.  I am going to take a lesson from this and make sure I listen to my body like Jo says and only do what i'm comfortable with. 

Good Luck, I hope this is only a very small setback for you and you're back up and going already.

Jo
xx
6/05 L ACL tear
8/05 L ACL recon hamstring autograft
3/12 R ACL tear
5/12 R ACL recon hamstring autograft/allograft combo, lateral meniscus trim

support